Caustic soda washes

Trying to do high PH wash on cbd oil to remove FFAs and the solution turned ruby. Why is this?

Mixed 2 grams sodium hydroxide with 100ml water.

Added that solution to 150ml of heptane and 75ml of distillate.

Agitated and the solution instantly turned red.

1 Like

Cbd and high ph always give this color change it s a useful tool known as the beam test

3 Likes

How would you reverse the color back ?

Decent separation.

Looks like you made a diy field test kit , cbd turns purple when exposed to a base . By ffa do you mean free fatty acids? Winterization and filtration will work for that.

1 Like

Yea sir, trying to neutralize them and remove from the oil.

Hemp biomass sucks right now and need to get a higher % oil.

If you lower ph again some color disappears but it s very dependent of Wich acid used
Phosforic will get it to gold/yellow
Sulfuric to amber/gold
Hcl to amber
Citric won’t change much

3 Likes

Neutralize the ph. Next time just dissolve it in heptane or hexane and do the water wash , it emulsifys with h2o when stong base is added. You dont need such a large ph fuctuation fo a liquid to liquid extraction. This is basically for removing water soluable impurities.

1 Like

Already do standard brine washes. Doesn’t change potency much . Was trying to remove more impurities from the oil.

What % does the oil have now ?

1 Like

I was doing this on first pass distillate since I don’t have any crude currently but low 70%

Redistill is probably where most % can be won
Or winterizing
LLE won t give the numbers you are hoping for

2 Likes

Appreciate the help. Will give that a try

Can the high ph run off and and low ph run off be mixed in the same waste container?

Dissolve in heptane, reduce , oversaturate and crash cbd yielding isolate.

1 Like

you have your answer. if you wanna dig a little
see: Search results for 'CBD quinone' - Future4200
and Alkaline Beam (how to test for CBD) and a Fast Decarb Test Method

1 Like

This depends
What is the container made of ? Hdpe is best
Metals not so
When adding acids to base a reaction will happen that’s often exothermic ( creates heat ) with sufficient water present not so much
At the same time often a gas is created (released) so carefull with capping to early
If large amounts are discarded and a big vessel is used foaming can occure if the rxn happens witha small orifice this can become a fountaine
But other than that yes

1 Like

:rofl::joy::rofl:

The joys of learning through experience…

3 Likes

On a ibc tote 170L sodiumbisulfate on
170L sodiubicarbonate O boy

3 Likes

Funny ideas.
Purple is not the best result.

My advise to those that hit the “purple” stage: throw it away.

I think Mechoulam’s group published at least one patent on the process.
Quinolines…

The base water revolution is near…lots of activity …
Pouring lye solutions into a stainless bucket filled with BUD is so much easier than c1d1 butane facility…purple?…so close but no cigar.

2 Likes

Antioxidant=sodium bisulfate?
Are you running mixers on those bc frames?

No the sodium is my go to for neutralizing a rxn and no stirring on the tote Wich would have helped killing the foam

1 Like