Cat's Victory Garden Along--Fall and Winter Gardening Tips

Strange times folks. I don’t know much about what the new normal looks like or where this is going, but I do know that it sure can’t hurt to have a little food security.

I have gone through my seed stash which consists mostly of heirloom, open pollinated seeds that I have purchased or some that I have collected from my own garden. These seeds will grow food and, if left to mature, will produce seeds that can be resown for continuous food production forever.

Based on what I have on hand, I have put some packets together with the following seeds:

Lettuce Crispmint
Lettuce Superior 1 Crisphead
Lettuce Gondor
Spinach Monstrueux De Viroflay
Kale Red Russian
Beet Mix
Bush Bean Carson
Cabbage Katrina

I am going to set up a bed in my garden for this set of seeds so we can all be getting started together. I made packets that are large enough to be meaningful but still small enough that I can really spread the love. You might only get 10 lettuce seeds and they are teeny-tiny. Even so, if you plant them all and then let just one go to seed (grow up, send up a flower and then create seeds) you will have lettuce forever and enough to share.

If you are interested, please DM me your address. I will keep sending seeds until I run out. I probably have enough packets for 20 or 30 people.

For those with the means to do so, I recommend finding a small seed production house in your area and supporting them iwth your order. I love Territorial Seed for the Maritime Northwest US. After moving a few years ago to Northern CA, I started using Siskiyou Seeds. The idea is that seeds produced in your climate will do better. A package of Burpee Watermelon seeds may do really well in Kansas or Georgia but you’re not going to get a melon in Portland.

16 Likes

Very cool of you to do this
Gives me motivation to work on the garden more :smile::call_me_hand:

1 Like

I planted a sample bed today with a selection of the seeds I am sending out. The bed that I chose is about 10’x30".

I grabbed a little sampling of the seed packets. Two lettuces, spinach, beets and bush beans will comprise this planting.

I used the toilet paper to demonstrate where the rows are going. A good rule of thumb is to plant seeds twice as deep as they are wide. The toilet paper will also help you keep track of the seeds as you plant.

They are small and blend right in with the soil so they are easy to lose track of. If you look at the little tiny lettuce seeds, you can see that they get planted in a very shallow little trench.

I placed the beans along the side of the bed with a retaining wall as they are floppy and could benefit from something to lean on. The beets go right down the middle for two reasons. One, the should be in the deepest part of the bed. The second reason is that they are taking up underground space and the two things on either side are taking up above ground space. It is nice to stagger under and over ground crops.

Once all of the seeds were place, I carefully pinched the rows closed over the toilet paper rows. The goal is to cover the seeds without scattering them all over the place. I was feeling really good about my technique until a breeze kicked up and scattered the beets everywhere. We will see where they grow . . . I am sure your rows will be straighter than mine.

18 Likes

The hardest part of this whole thing was just getting to the post office. I did it! 21 seed care packages on their way! :seedling: :heart:

12 Likes

Awesome, thanks again. :grin:

Day 10 update:
We have some spinach starting! This little bed was planted in the rain and has seen snow for a few days. Now the weather is in the 70*'s things are going to grow like crazy!

7 Likes

It’s time to consider your fall/winter garden. I am zone 7a. Tell me your zone and we can figure out what you can plant now.Who is getting ready? Here are some of the seeds I have ordered in preparation for planting in August:

Beets
Celery
Chard
Lettuce
Kohlrabi
Cabbage
Onions
Kale
Spinach
Carrots
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts

6 Likes

Zone 4

You are a Northerner, Huh? If you already have beds set up and are ready to go, I would plant the following NOW:

Carrot
Kale
Lettuce
Spinach
Beets
I’d plant onions in sets, not seeds.

Do you have any row covers? Mine were stupidly simple this year with poly film draped on stakes pinned down with rocks.

If you need seeds and can’t get them, I will help. DM.

4 Likes

Zone 8

Zone 8 is the money, Baby. You can have a great fall/winter garden! What sort of vegetables do you like to eat? I would love to help. Need Seeds?

1 Like

Most of what you posted above.

Beets
Celery
Chard
Lettuce
Onions
Garlic
Kale
Spinach
Carrots
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts

I’d love to get some seeds from yah. Thank you

1 Like

DM me your address. I would love to help.

1 Like

Slightly off topic, forgive me. Ever seen a heart shaped cucumber?

Slide the mold over it while it’s small and it grows in to it. Heart shaped cucumbers in our salad tonight!

6 Likes

I have seen people doing this. I think that is awesome.

2 Likes

First time I grew these was for our wedding. You can do stars also. I’m still working on getting a heart shaped watermelon. It’s much harder to do than the cucumbers, but if I could pull that off in a greenhouse and have them ready for Valentine’s Day…

We started a garden this season as well!
8B in Eugene Oregon, what do you recommend? I also built a small greenhouse to help with starts and to extend our season!

3 Likes

They make those molds for pumpkins, too. You can have a jack o lantern that looks like Frankenstein’s head.

2 Likes

You can grow all of the things I listed above starting in August. You are also in a prime area for great, organic seeds that you can collect and replant.

I highly recommend:

These are both local-ish to you and will have things that will grow well in your garden. I have ordered from both in the last month and shipping is pretty fast too. Pick something (my first was spinach, marigolds and beans) to grow and let go to seed. Learn to harvest the seeds and store them for next season. Truly, these could be the last seeds you ever buy!

1 Like

Awesome! thank you for the information!