Carts have brown on top and brown by coils

Are you guys using CBD distillate?

Highly highly doubt you could see metals leaching unless you were filling the thing with battery acid. Only seen colors like this on weird CBD distillate or dispensaries that used PEG with crc D9 distillate but that’s was years ago.

2 Likes

I agree with the majority looks like oxidation. The top gasket is a little offset. I see it looks sealed at the glass but maybe there’s a realllllyyyy small gap there on the left side that lets some air get by. Could be caused by off center post or just not good QC when capping.

Also looks like an eye lash in the bottom left of the cart

1 Like

Same thing happens w ecig juice.
I think its (by and large) half vaped stuff that got hot on it’s way to the element, then pushed out slowly (like how the air bubbles push out after a hit)it doesn’t mix into all the contents of the cart, due too viscosity. In VG liquid is swirls and darkens the whole tank at once, but in a cart it cools and stays there.

On top of a fresh cart (red ring) seems to be oxidation of some kind, but I’ve never experienced that. What’s ph do to oxidation rates? What happens to distillate when it gets hot around the heating element (repeatedly) but doesn’t quite get vaped?

2 Likes

Gotta top those carts off with Nitrogen! I wanted to set up a small glovebox and make it air tight so I could fill it with gas then pop my caps on in there. I know others are topping off with N but not sure what their methods are.

4 Likes

I notice the brown tinge from the coil on certain carts but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them on a disty cart. Someone mentioned the brown tinge in regards to regular nicotine Vapes as well. That’s usually when the cotton near the coil gets singed. The oil then mixes into that blackened cotton and disperses it throughout slowly. Most carts these days don’t use cotton anymore if I’m not mistaken.

2 Likes

Even at normal vaping temps there’s mass loss, Its occured to me there’s a mini lab with a hotplate inside of carts, stirring up some trouble with repeated heating and cooling I’m by no means an expert

1 Like

Looks like oxidation and leeching

1 Like

Low quality oil with too many non-CBD compounds. Did the cbd distillate you bought come runny at all? If it’s not a solid block at the start I would expect this to happen. Basically heads contamination

3 Likes

I will say, the cotton used in vaping is (should be?) rated at a higher burn point than the liquid can comfortably be vaped at. The singe is the mass loss of the liquid adhering to the element like a hotplate, or a dirty banger. Many times the dry hit is these substances burning, not necessarily the cotton. :man_shrugging:

If he starts seeing dark spots of the post then yes that’s what it is. I’ve seen this on cut carts before too.

2 Likes

Do you have test results of the otherwise clean oil containing obscene amounts of heavy metals?

Don’t have any testing but had a friend with some crap carts with this issue. Round blotches on the post, crack them open and felt rough on those spots. I can only assume metal leeching.

1 Like

It’s not necessarily the cotton itself burning although as you mentioned dry hits could cause something similar. More often though, it is the sugar in the liquid being cooked and charred on the coil which then leeches into the oil and dispersed throughout. This is why many vapers tend to gravitate away from the sweet liquids. I should have clarified earlier I have seen the brown tinge by the coil in carts, just not in disty carts.

2 Likes

What were the terpenes?

1 Like

I’ve only ever seen oxidation like this with bad cut, not with terpenes.

1 Like

I’ve seen distillate in jars get the same red ring. If you’re storing carts you filled yourself, and don’t flip them every day or two, just expect this. It’s free CBN: your carts turning broad spectrum at no additional charge.

2 Likes

I am doubtful it is CBN. If CBN just converted that aggressively on its own then I think it’d a lot cheaper to buy.

Without test results we’re all just guessing.

My vote is on a sketchy CBD distillate with either a contaminated fraction, waxes added, or a foreign cutting agent/insoluble flavoring.

Never had clean distillate do this in any cart so I also just find the heavy metals thing hard to believe without tears results. I have seen waxy concentrates, funky smelling CBD, and foreign additives do this.

6 Likes

This is what I consider oxidation. Made using clear back in Jan 2019. No ring, no blotches and the scuff is on the glass not in the oil.

2 Likes

howd this go…I tried it was epic failure burnt the coil

did you have to thin the shit out of it?

Thin what out??? my oil?? that pod is my normal disty and 10% hemp terps. Thats it. do you see how the oil is sitting… its stable in the pod. So far my Vfire pods will work with thicker distillate than any cart ive tried from CCell, even ikrusher carts, Ascent ceramics failed with oil this thick…so did just about every single cart ive tried.

just so this question will never come up again… I will never cut any oil for any reason! Really simple. im ingesting this. No way im cutting with anything even BOTANICAL Terps to smoke. If it doesnt come natural from a cannabis plant. I dont smoke it.

3 Likes