Cartridges coming out cloudy

What do you all use to measure out your Terps if not a syringe? Is there a better way to measure small volumes without a plastic syringe? I’m sure there is, but I’m just not thinking of it

By mass with a scale/balance suitable For the application. I.e. scale of production.

Probably just glass syringe to be safe w stainless steel plumger… It’s all about contact time though I think.

I use both though bc it never sets long, no cloudy ever

1. Have you let them set in warm spot?

2. Is it cloudy prior to adding terps?

3. What and where the hemp terps come from?

1 Like

I would guess water got in to your mix somehow by accident

Heres a couple darts, quartz and plastic plunger

1 Like

some syringes have lube on the plunger to help it move around, when this lube mixes with your distillate you will see whisps or cloudiness in your cart. It’s gross. Could travel with terps also. I recommend using a glass syringe for terpenes as the terpenes can leach heavy metals and degrade/possibly leach plastic and silicon. I usually draw up the terps without letting it touch the plunger for posterity. Quickly cean all syringes with alcohol, and quickly wipe dry, prior to use. The alcohol will also degrade plastic and silicone so be quick.

Ok I think I solved the damn problem, figured I post my findings in case somebody needs this in the future. I started using graduated glass pipettes and glass graduated cylinders for measuring Terps, that way the is no chance of rubber or plastic being in the mix. I gotta hotplate/ magstir instead of using a nova with a water bath. This eliminates any chance of accidentally getting a drop of water in my mixing jar or just the steam condensing inside.
I also started making sure my disty was really quite warm and super viscous before mixing in my Terps. I would heat it to 155f but only for like 3 mins or so. After I added Terps I stirred gently with a glass stir rod and took it off the heat source, kept stirring until oil began to thicken. Then, ( and I kinda think this part is important) I let the mixture completely cool and sit for several hours. It seemed to get a little clearer if I let it sit overnight.
Oh yeah also, i switched terp companies from raw terp depot to xtra laboratories full spectrum Terps. The xtra laboratories stuff seems to have a softer throat hit and taste a little more like flower.

Thank you so very much for everyones help, you guys and gals have been totally amazing to me ever since I joined.

2 Likes

Letting it completely cool doesn’t matter. But everything else you did should definitely help about taking problems out the equation

1 Like

Ok good to know, thanks @StoneD

Switch to @colombiabeneficial for the best most economical Canna route, hemp is Canna.
Your throat will never thank you enough. I add 1-3% terps now and it’s still tasty!

@betroit for the Cadillac rare flavors. All these actual Canna terps will be the best thing you can do for your vape line. Beside, they vape 2x as much when it taste just like bud and so much better!

2 Likes

No way it the syringe. I’ve filled 100,000 plus carts this year and never seen cloudyness unless the distillate was shit and not de waxed before distilling. And use nothing but plastic syringes

2 Likes

wrong. have you ever pulled up terpene isolates into a siliconized plastic syringe?
look up sds of your favorite terpenes and their chemical compatibilities.
just because you didnt notice it with one of your senses doesnt mean its not happening.

1 Like

I think I would notice cloudyness. And I didn’t say it don’t break down but unless you are leaving in syringe for extended times it will not cause all the carts to cloud I can garentee it. I’ve even had syringes cease up from terps eating the seal but yet guess what , no cloudyness. This post was not about if breaks it down it was “ what’s making cloudy “ let’s stay on track here

Sounds like water. You can re-dilute in Etoh and dry it.

2 Likes

Ok, lets stay on track and not add poor manufacturing processes to the conversation

3 Likes

Once again didn’t say it’s the way to do it. Lmfao I siad it’s happen and that being past tense ? If people are dumb enough to do after we all just stated that it can leach the plastic , then it is what it is. I was only stating what I have done. Not once did I say for anyone to do. In fact if they read this and still want to use plastic it’s prolly safe to say they aren’t to bright to begin with. But sorry if it seemed like I was recommending use of plastic. I was only proving a point that it was not the source of his cloudyness.

1 Like

Like I pointed out some syringes have lube in them, specifically on the plunger. I have watched terped distillate be drawn up in the syringes and be fine, and then as the last bit of the syringe is being pushed out that last bit now has whisps of cloudiness. This is from lube on the plunger. Not all plungers have lube, but some do and it’s never labeled

1 Like

I use only BD medical plastic syringes for Terps and BD medical plastic luer lock for filling carts.

I wonder if the BD medical types are better off, vs others.

1 Like

I agree not all plastics are the same. A little trick for the fellas, if your in a pinch and need to use a plastic syringe, pull the plunger back a little before sucking up your terps so that the terps never touch the plunger.

3 Likes

And store said syringe with the plunger fully removed. This will allow the rubber plunger to NOT swell and get stuck.

I no longer toss my syringes after a few uses.

1 Like