Cartridges coming out cloudy

Hi I am new to making carts. I am trying to make some of these pod style cartridges and my mixture keeps coming out cloudy. I am currently mixing hemp derived Terps at 7%. Any suggestions for making my mixture come out clear every time

Hey bud @Extract_wizard If you’re really looking to garner results from your post, share your method and we’ll see if we can help from there. there’s about 150,000 variables that can contribute to a cloudy cart. I Always love it when people post I have a problem… … blah. It helps to know what your working ya feel me?

1 Like

Dewax/ no dewax?

1 Like

Oh yeah, I’m working with some decent distillate, yes it’s been dewaxed. I’ve had a batch come out quite clear and a nice yellow color already so I dont think it’s the distillate I’m using, I think it’s something I’m doing. Mixing it too much perhaps? Should I be leaving it sit for a few hours after mixing my Terps? Maybe that will clear it up?

1 Like

Hey bud, again post your method. The forum is willing to help but until you give your process you’re asking us to throw darts at a wall blindfolded, backwards, drunk!

2 Likes

My method is heating my distillate to about 140f. Adding 7% terps and mixing with a cordless drill. Once they seem throughly mixed I draw them up into my fill gun and fill into the carts. That’s about it. Should I be letting them sit overnight, will that help it clear up

Normally I’d question what’s in the terpenes but with hemp derived that wouldn’t be likely. Sounds like moisture. Are you cleaning anything with water? If there is a little bit of water or ethanol in your beaker/syringe then this can happen

is a rubber plunger coming in contact with heat or terpenes at any point? Are you mixing the tail end of some distillate that was stored in a syringe with a rubber plunger? This is the other time you see cloudiness

4 Likes

Where did you source you terps from? Do yourself a favor and get one of these.

YaeCCC Magnetic Stirrer 4.7 x 4.7 Inch Heating Plate Magnetic Mixer SH-2 Hot Plate 1000ml Stirring Capacity Magnetic Stirrer Kit 180W 0~1600RPM 1L Volume Heating Power https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761NK8SY/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_lWRWDbTPP5SZB

3 Likes

Is the whole cart evenly cloudy or does it have whisps of cloudiness going through it?

I think this is his problem, plastic syringe… Or maybe not cleaning the glass well enough with rubbing alcohol.

1 Like

I agree, sounds like water. If they’re hemp derived, what process? Steam distillation? Maybe purchase some drying salts and decant, and try again.

1 Like

You mentioned your filling with a gun. Which are you using? All of the ones I’ve used have some sort of oil on them outta the box. It’s a must to take them apart and clean before using.

2 Likes

You know some pictures would make this so much easier

1 Like

Yeah, I am using a plastic syringe to measure my Terps with, could that be doing it? I have a Chinese fill gun with a heating controller. I didnt think to clean the inside of it. I didnt notice any oil when I took it apart but that doesn’t mean it wasnt there. Pictures to follow if that helps

2 Likes

Is the whole cart evenly cloudy or it has whisps?

ding ding ding

3 Likes

Terpenes and rubber plungers do not go well together.

5 Likes

A. Make sure your distilled oil is clear after 72 hours in room temperature. (Winterized error)
B. If oils clear then mix with Terpen 5-10% depend on your recipe (some cannabis Terpen would be cloudy) ask vendors who sell Terpen)
C. Many Terpenes of e-juice would be cloudy with distilled oils

its the plastic syringe

I use a plastic syringe to draw up Terps, and a seperate one to mix and fill my carts.

2000+ carts so far and I’ve noticed zero cloudiness.

5 Likes