Cart Ready CO2 Oil

the bubbles usually mean it’s wicking into the ceramic. The cartridge is sealed, so when the oil leaves, it gets replaced by air. That’s my theory anyways. Bubbles mean it’s wicking, though, so if there is no leak, and it’s not dry hitting, I wouldn’t worry about it. You could always store them upside down after filling so that they aren’t primed until you want them to be, though.

1 Like

I am mostly worried about the bubbles forming a cavity that doesn’t fill back in with warm oil creating a “dry hit”. The 0.5ml seems to warm up enough to backfill the air bubble created from air displacement. the 1.0mL doesnt. The 0.5mL is a test, I will be releasing in 1.0mL hardware.

Are you winterizing? Running an Apeks and we have found that unless properly winterized/dewaxed, the carts dont tend to hold viscosity or flow well.

The.5ml gets hotter inside the chamber bc less metal and glass to heat

If the coil is covered and bubbles start after hitting forming onbottom its bc ur out running the oil to the coil. Either thin the oil or warm (warm oil is thinner than cold)the carts prior to hitting, this is usually a winter time problem w ambient temps being way colder than summer. Personally I’d just heat the cart w lighter or hair dryer vs adding more terps or diluent

1 Like

We are not winterizing, currently running parameters that extract very little fats and waxes. It flows perfectly on a 0.05mL cartridge or in a pod. My thoughts are that it is ambient cold weather temps vs surface area of the 1.0mL cartridge. I will try to winterize a sample and fill a 1.0mL cartridge.

1 Like

What parameters are you running for supercritical pulls that dont need to be winterized and are pen ready?

2 Likes

My bet is winterization will solve the problem.

CO2 is extremely good at pulling wax’s and while the viscosity may work for smaller volumes, the 1ml cart is giving enough room for separation.

+1 above, what kind of parameters are you running?

3 Likes

I have a couple ozs left of some co2 oil that I make carts and dart with. I’ve been making my carts lately with 50/50 thc:CBDdisty and loving the high. My question is can I interchange the co2 oil with my thc disty. I’ll be running low on thc disty soon and would like to use up the remaining co2 oil. Can I just mix the two together like my normal process? I haven’t tried it yet but I will do a small batch tonight. To see if it mixes thoroughly and doesn’t separate

Enough heat and agitation should get er done :call_me_hand:

1 Like

yep. you can use bottles in a rotor and pellet the fats or you can use a perforated basket and treat it as a big, fast filter. I like option two. lots of experience with option one.

1 Like

What exactly do you mean @cyclopath

Not sure how to be any more clear.

Which bit don’t you get?

Have you asked the all knowing one for clarification on those terms?

@Roguelab dropped it in the tricks of the trade thread. Which I recommend everybody read from head to toe. Twice.

4 Likes

Did you ever see a test result come back?

Depending on the biomass we would go one step further, de-terp, decarb, subcritical, supercritical

You can extract a variety of different “fractions” depending on parameters and method.

I had a few methods for unwinterized carts.

One was to just use the high terpene light fraction and put into a cart with a higher viscosity rating. This would have more lipids in it and depending how much, would sometimes coat your mouth which was not the best.

Method two, I would isolate a terpene fraction and mix it in with my high potency fraction. The high potency fraction would test anywhere from 75-95% straight from the machine depending on the run.

Here is a picture of just the light fraction in a shitty china cart. It was the only one I had available to sneak this experiment in.

3 Likes

What machine are you using for your unwinterzied carts and terp pulls?

I was using an Eden at that time.

1 Like

Unwinterized and winterized c02 in a cart

1 Like

92% Total Cannabinoids, doesn’t crystallize, no cuts, .3% Total THC

5 Likes

Run extraction no higher than 1200psi. Set 1st separation vessel at 400psi. Collect and fill carts. Even better if you do not decarb the material and keep all the terpenes.