Carbon Wiper Blades WFE

Has anyone used the carbon wiper blades on their Pope rather than the Teflon?

Wondering IF there would be any benefits…

1 Like

I think the primary benefit of carbon is that it offers a much higher heat tolerance than teflon. Not sure there would be any benefits at the temperatures we distill cannabinoids.

2 Likes

I’ve had the carbon wiper blades can run absorbents :wink:

2 Likes

You can run absorbents through the WFE?

2 Likes

I was told if you have carbon blades you can,

I know someone running t5 through a Chinese wiper with no problems.

Idk how much hes putting through though.

3 Likes

I have heard the same thing!

There must be some limitations to this I would imagine though…

1 Like

I hear t5 works great because it doesnt all clump up and settle to the bottom of your feed tank where as other absorbents do.

I’m sure particle size has alot to do with it.

@Shadownaught we need wiper SPECIFIC powders!!!

3 Likes

Pope Powders for the win

Pope has powders for wipers now?

higher heat resistance and can be “abused” more persay, they’ll eat through/power through more chunkier crude easier where as teflons might flex and lose resistance or bend. VTA puts carbon wipers in there SS models from the get-go

1 Like

what? anybody got a pic of a “carbon blade”? I would think they would be waay too stiff?

2 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Received yesterday. Got a side by side for you here. As far as being more dense, carbon certainly is.

why so much smaller?

1 Like

Any results from testing these out? Be interesting to see what size of crap can get through it, it be nice if it would let me run a larger um filter upline of my roughing stage.

1 Like

hi! dredged up this old thread as i’m about to try out the same thing. the wearing down of the PTFE blades provided by Pope make me crazy, as the repeated $700-per-set costs and machine downtime to replace (especially given one of our Popes is a belt driven model, requiring disassembling the entire unit) is frustraing, and i couldn’t help but notice our VTA blades (graphite-impregnated PTFE) have NEVER needed replacement.
I’ve asked pope about carbon blades though, and they don’t offer them. thing is i could swear that a year or two before, they DID offer them, for quite a bit more money (though would’ve been worth it). dunno whats up with that, but i’ve encouraged my rep at Pope to offer something like that. i imagine they might prefer to only provide blades that wear and need to be repurchased, planned obsolescence kind of thing.

i’ve contacted some custom fabrication companies that offer carbon-PTFE blend parts made to spec, though theyre slow in getting back to me. in the meantime i’m adapting some VTA blades for use in the Pope.

really i’m just hoping you could share your experience with these style of blades, ie where one could get them (if at all), how they performed in your system, etc. etc.

thanks!

2 Likes

U need to realize how easy it is to machine ptfe on a $350 desktop cnc

@pdxcanna get us a render and ill make a toolpath and this whole situation is over

4 Likes

I don’t have any cam experience outside 3d printing, but I can definitely model whatever

2 Likes

actually getting a CNC and making them ourselves is something I was pursuing with one of my coworkers, we actually had a model rendered already. I’m actually not sure where it dropped off but part of it was his getting put on a night shift on a different position and just wasn’t getting back to me about the idea–so I’ve been pursuing the 3 other angles I’d come up with, and was hoping to just outsource as I’m buried in higher priority projects.
you’re completely right. one of my other angles might work but cnc can’t be beat on sustainablity of solution. i have to be honest that in the midst of being overwhelmed i can get tunnel vision, and as i only have so much time can get a little lost in the sauce/ sometimes i need a kick in the ass to refocus and i very much appreciate you providing that.
hmu if you feel like helping with this any further, if not like i said, much appreciation for helping steer me in the right direction

1 Like