Capping Solutions (Clear Barrel Mouth Piece)

Looking to do some upgrades on the capping process as we have gone from a few hundred to a few thousand runs. After scouring the forums, I have pretty much come to a conclusion that between hand filling and capping with an arbor press, press on cartridges are a no-go for speed. The real question comes with the caps themselves. I have been using CCELL Polycarbonate cartridges with the clear round mouthpiece, and after looking between ccell and avd, I can not seem to find the same mouthpiece for snap fit or screw on. Do not want to pull the gun and switch caps. Any recommendations to either of the issues Im having (caps & speed) would help a lot! Thank you.

1 Like

Confused.

You automating or hand capping?

Or just looking for clear plastic mouth pieces?!?

@thesk8nmidget might have video of the critter we’ve got on site. Uses press on caps. Beats hand filling OR capping.

Apologies, I will clarify.

We would like to switch to screw ons, but can not do so if the barrel mouth pieces are not an option.

If that doesn’t work, we’d need a way to speed up the arbor press method a bit.
Hand capping @ 1,000 was do-able but anything more seems near impossible to cap in time.

Thanks I will check it out.

1 Like

A really strong midget might help

6 Likes

I switched back to AVDs carts three weeks ago. I use the glass AVD carts. Currently I am trying the press-on mouth pieces for the first time. I use the black flat ceramic mouthpieces from AVD.

Yesterday I filled 1100 carts and pressed all the mouthpieces on by hand. Fill them, put them on a hard surface and push the mouthpieces down until the you feel them click in.

I have always used screw-on mouthpieces and I finished my first batch of press-on carts yesterday much faster than if I were doing screw-on mouthpieces. 50 carts took me six minutes, start to finish (and I was pushing the mouthpieces on one-by-one). If I had an an arbor press available yesterday, it would have only slowed me down. In fact, I think it would have slowed me down quite a bit.

For me, the glass press-on AVD glass carts are $0.16 cheaper than the glass screw-on AVD carts. That’s a lot of additional COGS per unit in my book.

The only drawback I have observed with the AVD press-on mouthpieces is that they will not come back off. You can unscrew screw-on mouthpieces and get your distillate back out, in those rare cases when that is needed. The press-on mouthpieces lock on, and I am not able to get them back off once they are locked on.

3 Likes

Oh hello! :rofl::rofl:

Thompson and duke does make a semi auto screw on capper and we have one of those buy have never used it as we only use press on caps.

Or for an all in one solution for filling and capping we got this:

12 Likes

We used AVD on our first run and honestly were not disappointed by them. I do feel as though the arbor press slows things down, but assumed a screw on setup with the vapebit would effectively change that. Perhaps Ill take a second look at AVD’s Eazy press options.

1 Like

Wow, that machine is a work of art. Definitely outside of the budget right now though, haha.

2 Likes

Now you understand my confusion over “automate” & “hand capping” in the same sentence no?

(Also see you reworded original post to clarify :face_with_monocle:)

Have you actually tried press on caps?

Are you removing from the foam to press? That too will slow you down. Might have to to use the small harbor freight press. You don’t need that much force (unless you’re trying to press 100 at once), so you can probably get clever with a lever and manage a press with enough throat room for a box of carts.

1 Like

I can make one for the non-duckbill tips. Pair it with an electric screwdriver

4 Likes

Are a waste of time

Wow is this a test or something?!

Im actually about to selling this tray system and the aforementioned carts. It was literally designed with operations like yours in mind:

7 Likes

How much was that thing?

It reminds me of the tincture line I’m looking into

We are actually the owners of the AVD & Eazy Press Trademarks, as well as the designers and manufacturers for AVD until September of last year when we decided to begin selling factory direct. The group you buy AVD’s from is “Next Level” a former distributor of ours that we split with.

If you like the Eazy Press and wish to save money, you can contact our reps Dorian@avd.com or Ann@avd.com for factory direct pricing. We also offer the filling, alignment jigs and capping solutions at factory direct prices as well. Typically, we are saving customers about $.35-$.50 per unit.

3 Likes

Get AVD eazy press carts. Pretty competitive quality wise to CCELL and the capping is extremly time saving.

2 Likes

Get a vevor leather press from amazon. You can hit the rack of 50 with one press and they will be capped perfectly.

5 Likes

Vape bit is gonna be a much bigger headache then you think till you try it… when doing thousands that is.

1 Like

Does anyone listen?

2 Likes

I ended up buying a leather cutting press and tried using that to cap those clear barrel mouth pieces since we used the same carts. Still didn’t work. I ended up switching to the easy press ceramic tip and I cap 100 at a time in about 15 seconds with the leather press. Those clear barrell mouthpieces practically require you to cap 1-2 a time on an arbor press

2 Likes

And for comparison, this is how we put together our process development carts

10ml or less is the manual syringe.
20ml or more is CF-50 territory

4 Likes

What In the homemade beadbath :heart_eyes: nice use of the crockpot there!

5 Likes