Can't seem to achieve a golden color with my D8 on my wiper

Do you distill acidic crude?

Can you elaborate please what this does?

Not necessarily. If your material is oxidized prior to distillation youll still have color

Color IMO more has to do with oxidation state then contamination when using isolate (unless youre reallty bad and dont know how to neutralize properly)

Heres an example

This is the d9 thco i made that kca tested at 1000mg/g on gcms. Why is it orange and not yellow or clear?

Because its oxidized

1 Like

The addition of powders in small amounts to the boiling flask in spd
Takes colors out when distilling

O and there is NO way you have cbd dissolved in a solvent and add ptsa to that and be water clear. No way

Clear oil that’s easy
Water clear starting solution then adding ptsa and still be waterclear after 3 hours is impossible
Good luck I am done i ll comment once you place your sop if waterclear cbd dissolved in a solvent
Since you won t be able to good night

Right, our environment is part oxygen.

1 Like

What i wrote, the solution didnt change color during the reaction and the starting solution was as clear as it gets, a very faint hue of yellow.
The result again was virtually clear oil.

Cmon, i meant clear as opposed to yellow without rexing and that taking the color out in the first place helps achieving water clear oil. Im sure there are other tricks too.

Thank you so much. I tried different kinds of CBD isolate (most COA says 99%+)

It seems that it is true that the better the CBD, the clearer it is after the conversion, and distillation.

The best CBD, after I melt it, dissolved by Hexane, it is water clear. However, after D8 conversion, some yellow showed up. I removed the solvent from it, the color is darkened, and most of importantly, it is not clear. I have to say that it is translucent, maybe as Rogue @Roguelab mentioned, it is a faint gold hue?

I also tried to recrystallize one CBD, it shows to be better, but still show up the color after the D8 conversion. Maybe my crystallization method is not that good.

Can I ask what the blanketing gas is used for?

After the conversion, and after the solvent is removed, the disty looks like opaque, so I assume that the bentonite clays can help make it clear?

Thank you so much

Your crystelization method is fine
There a number of things that create color and these are near impossible to avoid
Solvent has oxigen solvents have a ph
( dcm super accitic place cbd in dcm and you ll have 3% thc 48 hours after)
Either way try to distill it s a good purification tech and worth the effort

The opaque color is most likely entrained water
It makes sense to right before solvent evaporation to dry the solvent with a drying agent mgso4 or cacl2 beeing my first choice
Passing your final solution treu a Büchner with some bentonite at the botom and drying salt on top is often enough to get rid of the water content

So phosforic acid+ethanol can achieve water clear without distilling? or at least less color? I never tried this before…

Blanketing gas is overkill for crystelization
But it does have some effect in avoiding discolorations of solutions as does sparging solvent oxigen free but as I said overkill
These are tech s I tried in a r and d project to make thc-a free cbd-a for the Japanese market and pharma
The work does not show on the coa it s more visual aspects that prove it to do something but your product does not get better in the reading field of hplc

1 Like

I already tried to boil it at high temperature (150 C) under vacuum, it does not help…
I actually did not use water in this process,

Yes phosforic acid on ethanol for the reaction and then a solvent transfer to an alkane after the rxn and a few times treu B80 bentonite with extreme soft solvent recovery circumstances will make almost water clear you only notice the yellow heu at certain agnels and it lacks the prism effect more than water clear

Wait after the rxn what did you do ???
You quenched the reaction and washed the water soluble Lewis acid out with water correct ??

1 Like

didn’t use the base to wash out… maybe that is a problem…
used Amerlyst for try out…in this way, still have color issue…

Maybe this is an interesting question: what caused the color?

there may be some possibilities:

1. impurities in CBD isolate, pigment, hard to remove during crystallization process.

2. CBD/D8/D9 Oxidation?

3. CBD reduction during the isomerization/conversion process

Not sure which one is the reason? or maybe it is a mixed process?

if 1 is the only case, then if we use pure enough CBD isolate for isomerization, we should be able to receive water clear D8 without the need of distillation?

Considering gcms is ppb and kca is the best lab in the country id definitely consider the results of 1000mg/g accurate which means its due to oxidation not impurities

1 Like

Good point :+1::+1: