Can't seem to achieve a golden color with my D8 on my wiper

Been racking my head on trying to achieve a golden color on my D8, this used to be so easy to do with my SPD but with my wiper I am still just seeing an amber color. Tried changing solvents with lower Bp’s and played with different parameters on the wiper. I am currently running my evaporator body at 178c and my condenser at 100c and still getting what you see in the attached picture. D8 is way to cheap to run through crc and I know that there is a way to do this easier, via different parameters or change up what I do on my LLE’s. I do the typical LLE that you will see that is water, sodium bicarb and saline.

What do you guys suggest? Any advice will be appreciated.

Too much residency time in the wiper

3 Likes

So hotter and feed faster?

Had a client run into it when he first started running d8 on wipers. Run faster and you won’t be as dark. Your residency time will always dictate the output color, when folks want the amber you’ll know how to manipulate the wiper to do so. One of the main reasons I consistently imply “parameters are everything”. Run tighter and faster you’ll pull the gold. Best of luck to you and hope y’all pump out some fire.

6 Likes

Not hotter, but yes faster. Start with cranking the RPMs higher on the wiper as long as there’s no splashing. That both thins the oil film over the evaporator and it also pushes the unevaporated oil down and out faster. I’d personally run the evap lower too, but I’m not used to D8. With CBD I stay ~164C max to get a good color, preferably lower. Any higher than 170 will almost always give me darker distillate. Residence time at elevated temps has a lot to do with color like Cheeba said.

5 Likes

We run the wiper speed at full speed and the feed from the hopper about 3/4 of the way up. So speed up the feed into the wiper and keep heat at the same temps is what I’m gathering?

1 Like

Iirc from the last time I spoke with him about it raise condenser temp to 115-120 and temp was about same or around 168, I’ll have to look back at the conversation but I recommended a parameter to change to and right after he was flowing out gold again. Give me a few hours to dig through

2 Likes

awesome thank you!

1 Like

Keep condenser about same 98-100 temps 167-168 and feed her faster you should be golden :call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like

I will try that now. Thank you!

1 Like

At 178c i was feeding at around 9 liters an hour on a 6 inch steel yhchem and getting 6-7 liter per hour on the disty discharge side. I wasnt getting everything out of the crude and would have to do a second pass. Idk what kind of wiper you use or how fast it can feed but darker color is usually due to distilling tails. Either increase feed rate or decrease temperatures. Also running your basket too fast can cause splashing, you usually dont want to go above 350-400 rpm or itll splash.

4 Likes

Can anyone achieve water clear by Wiper other than SPD?

Can anyone make clear D8 without the need of distillation?

Can anyone make D8 by only L2L, quench, filtration etc, but without the need of distillation?

@AlexSiegel has sops for water clear i think they come with his systems he sells too?

Do they use distillation too? Thank you bro

For water clear d8 it helps to start with a clear cbd solution, which can be achieved by recrystallizing twice or more. Also some reactions produce more color.
You can get away without distillation and do a rough chromatography instead, but you still need a vacuum pump to purge solvent, heating mantle and distillation apparatus (can all be cheap from ebay), but it is better to also distill, if you have these things already, just dont get the cheapest one stage but the cheapest two stage pump.
Stirring with bentonite can also help.
I could write down detailed instructions, if you like, but here is more an inspiration forum than information forum.

1 Like

Water. Clear d8 without distilling is not an option even chroma won t cut it right
Only distillation can achieve water clear

You can get to a faint gold heu with bentonite clays and then evap solvent of as cold as possible with some blanketing gas whenever needed
Tricky but still not water clear
And deffenatly not with ptsa
For water clear without distilling I would go with phosforic acid on ethanol

1 Like

I dont think any of the above is accurate.
Ive made waterclear d8 before, however, i dont consult anymore. The info is scattered through out this website. The guy i tagged above sells cheap, robust systems and has info to sell with it. Id get in touxh with alex or hope another patient member helps.

I will say, going slow and cutting fractions, as well as sacrificing product is how I did it.

I posted this as rogue posted his comment. The above is not directed at Rogue

5 Likes

Disagree on this any D8 in high numbers can be made water clear
Either by distillation or an additional enhancer in the flask like magnesium or calcium oxide

3 Likes

Thats all just wrong

It works very well to avoid color by not introducing it in the first place