Cant put my finger on it....dark runs no matter what

hey everyone. not sure whats up. ever since i switch to a 2.5 lb active cls from my 1/2 lb passive tamisium, all of my runs have been way darker. before i could run basically garbage and still get a light colored extract. now days i can get super fresh trim and it ends up damn near black.
before: packed tamisium super tight, froze over night, ran 100% butane that was chilled in freezer but warmed a little to get some pressure. never ran over 20 psi.

now day: pack cls super tight, run 70/30 via 50ft coil in dry ice slurry with acetone. i apply the cold solvent slowly to saturate and freeze everything. i start to get concentrate/solvent coming out when the top 3/4 of the material column is frozen. the solvent is bright yellow at this point. in fact it always looks bright yellow when coming out but when i gets concentrated together in the collection pot the color gets way dark amber to even darker. if i jar it its black. if i lay out for shatter its dark amber. if i crumble it lightens up to a better yellow but not quite where i want it.

• ive replaced my solvent and distilled to through mol seive beads
  • i dried those beads in the oven at 250f for 4 hours then put in freezer bag to keep dry. the next day i ran with fresh beads, fresh dry solvent, cold af with dry ice in acetone with 70/30 solvent. again, the run looked super yellow, then concentrated to super dark amber.

what gives? i could use my tamisium with old crap material, no mol seive, 100% butane, no dry ice, and get better results every time.
any ideas?

the only factor that i can change at this point is the pressure at which the solvent enters the column. not sure what effect if any but i cant think of any other variables to address at this point…

what do you guys think?

1 Like

You need to pass it through some powders to make it clear or light yellow

2 Likes

Machine trimmed?

4 Likes

thats a whole other problem lol. when i use b80 it goes red to pink. i think its the same thing making my extacts dark when no using clay. it seems like moisture but i just spent the last week distilling and drying gas and beads. same results as before…

How much b80 are you using? What size runs?

hand trimmed bro. everything i touch now comes out either dark or red if im using b80

pretty fresh too. like last 3 or 4 months

30 to 50% of the material weight in b80. 50% was too light. almost clear. 30% is red. in between is pink.

i microwave the shit out of the b80 before use.

Switch to the w1 if you can afford it. I don’t fuck with anything else now

8 Likes

Price is gonna drop in 2 weeks, i can send u sample @mcbreeezy

10 Likes

thanks @Waxplug1 thats cool. def down to try it. thing is the material im running should not need crc at all… its fresh hand tr.immed goodness. ran super cold. i used to run so crude and my results were always fire lol.

I would try freezing the material like before. Letting the solvent freeze it would logically pick up more chlorophyll than without freezing the input.

Is there any chance the coil has something in it?

6 Likes

i was on that same boat. so i froze 2 columns last night and ran them today. looked super nice when it was recovering but as it finished and collected it ended up dark af…same story with the second column. pulling my hair out over here

im recovering at 95F

Can you go back to your old method entirely and run one batch old way one batch new way with the same material?

2 Likes

also something i was considering. a tamissum run takes 6 hours for 1/2 lb lol. could get me some answers tho.

That’s where I would start. A crazy guess is your coil has a small hole in it sucking acetone in from the slurry. I don’t run a cls to know if you’d be able to notice

General solvent issues could be too. Was it a new supplier? Have you ever gotten good color with this solvent?

1 Like

its been happening for a cool minute now. the equipment is brand new. i vac and pressure test. def no leaks in the coil. non detected for acetone on our tests.

Your material column is adding heat if its not jacketed and being chilled at the same time that you extract. The column itself will add heat especially a 6in column. If its smaller diameter you should be able to get by with just pre freezing the column

9 Likes