Cannabis without the plant shit - all lab, all the time

Girl calls me from her garden and asks if it’s true, that everything will be grown in the lab now, with no need for her KNF knowledge.

Totally reassured her that there will still be talented growers necessary in the future…

But…

Am I wrong…?

6 Likes

This checks every red flag for a pump and dump… that’s gonna be a no from me dawg

I really don’t think bioconversions of cannabinoids are anywhere near being scalable at the moment, and that’s working with a single enzyme. I also have serious doubts that they have glandular cell culture figured out.

6 Likes

It looks like an infomercial tbh. Interesting though. I’m sure it won’t be long if it’s not the real deal yet. I mean after these last few years I believe anything is possible. Science:)

1 Like

I have visited the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel, I can’t elaborate because I signed an NDA but for all purposes not requiring the actual plant (i.e smoking bud) it will soon be obsolete. game of simple economics. also for smoking I have seen something that blew my mind and does not require the whole plant. this technology will be commercialized easy. seen some spooky shit, on the positive side, it’s all going to be extracted old school

14 Likes

People thought CBD conversions were the end of D9 distillate. I’ll believe their tech when I see them doing it at scale.

8 Likes

I always wanted to do trichome tissue culture, but I got stuck in an extraction lab after I graduated. It might be legit, but this video makes me question it. I’m surprised nobody has tried to disrupt quorum sensing first, or tried to have trichomes go through more endocycles.

4 Likes

There’s no way that they’re the first to do this, there’s been similar patents for decades

5 Likes

Paclitaxel is obtained this way. Note this article is 2004 and it was well established tech then.

You’ll do a tissue culture of bud cells, propagate into a liquid culture medium, feed them the necessary precursor and separate your product from the extracellular matrix.

It’s coming.

7 Likes

I’ve heard of numerous different projects in the works that can assemble noids without the plant. My question is how the companies will keep it under lock. If just a few spores is all you need to replicate into more, and you can produce noids like yeast produces alcohol, how do they keep it from getting out and everyone using it?

2 Likes

The fact that they did their own news infomercial tells me that there are questions they do not want to be asked. They are trying to present this as the most exciting thing ever to come to cannabis but yet they released it on a one sided biased type of advertising ploy. So it’s hard to take this company serious but it is interesting to see that somebody is thinking outside the box on ways to make cannabinoids. I do believe it will be hard to get people to all switch over to oil based products because so many people love the simple burning of a joint.

15 Likes

Looked into this for one of my senior projects,

If you can get a yeast or bacteria to convert sugar to THC or any cannabinoid you could save a ton of money in production, time water ect. and have an extremely pure product.

2 Likes

The technology and knowhow required to have a scaled production facility that is viable for cannabinoid production from something like yeast will naturally limit the number of folks who could even do it in the first place.

I’ve spoken with a couple companies currently working on the “Cannabinoids from Yeast” problem and right now the only business viable model they’re pursuing is production of the rare minor cannabinoids that are not easily obtained directly from biomass or from semi-synthetic conversions.

I can’t really speak to other methods of producing lab-created noids, but I’m pretty confident to say that for the foreseeable future, traditional methods of obtaining noids from biomass will not be replaced by some sort of yeast production due to the intense requirements of building scaled production.

Let me put it this way, when you use yeast to produce cannabinoids what you end up with is a “broth” that is only a small fraction of a percent your target compound. Getting the yeast to poop out cannabinoids isn’t overly complicated, all you need is a bunch of large bio-reactor tanks. What IS complicated and very expensive is all the processing required to purify and concentrate those noids at-scale.

Obviously this will change as innovation and technology makes it easier, but right now it’s looking like you would have to sell yeast-produced product in the thousands (and possibly tens of thousands) of dollars per kg to have a viable business. Right now, the only products that fit that are the super rare and unique cannabinoids you can’t really get directly from the plant.

15 Likes

Synthetic caffeine never made coffee and tea plants obsolete.

35 Likes

One of the larger labs out of Berkley. Allegedly raised a shit ton of money via VCs. Not publicly traded yet.

2 Likes

anyone been stalking this company’s financials? Everything I have seen is leading me towards this being a biotech scam targeted at naive/don’t know anything about biotech accredited investors. Do you guys think a company that has spent less than 2.5mil on R&D is capable of doing what they claim to do?

4 Likes

Berkley has been conducting cannabis research for a short while now. Founder of Lygos is Bioengineering professor at Cal Berkley. Not saying it cant still be a biotech scam, but it appears to have some legitimacy. Will be watching closely as this plays out

1 Like

Does Lygos have any kind of connection with another company trying to do the exact same thing in the exact same place called Demetrix?

Is this just a bunch of Berkley professors trying to race each other to see who will be the first to get yeast-derived cannabinoids off the ground?

EDIT: WTF, why is the link autopopulating with stuff about CBD4Me? Thats sketchy. Link has been updated.

2 Likes

I think this is where the methodologies hold greatest promise. The d9-THCa synthase is rather promiscuous when it comes to the substituent in the 5-position of the resorcinol moiety and CBGa-like precursors are the easier part of the chemical equations to solve.

Feed the culture CBGPa and you’ll end up with d9-THCPa. Or CBGVa and you’ll get d9-THCVa.

10 Likes

You may be able to generate individual cannabinoids this way, until we fully understand entourage we can’t begin to replicate that.

So it may replace distillate/isolate but not actual extracts or flower.

8 Likes

I think the more these methodologies are studied, companies will start engineering the active sites of the key enzymes involved to expand/improve substrate scope.

The methodologies become more refined and harder to reverse engineer and lead to a situation in which it becomes quite apparent that any infringement of IP is taking place, if that were to occur.

3 Likes