Cannabis unions

What are your thoughts on developing a organized union for the cannabis/hemp industries?

27 Likes

What exactly would be the goals of such an organization?

First would probably be fair pay for individuals working in the industry

12 Likes

I could also imagine having a legal entity with money and lawyers behind them would help prevent so many in these industries from being blindly taken advantage of by their employers

15 Likes

Okay. Whats a fair wage for each skill set? Level of experience? What about associated cost of living relative to the area? Should a SPD tech in Kansas City MI be scheduled to make the same as one from Miami FL?

Unions exist for explicit protections, I don’t think you’re going to unionize cannabis given how decentralized it is.

8 Likes

That’s the thing though, many investor holdings & lawyers hold % of many of these facilities & they’re all for the gouging of wages to bring in more profit on their margin. It would be a hard run getting these facilities to convert to union, I see it working better within a fully internal vertically integrated facility with minimal employees mostly consisting of folks that share ownership.

3 Likes

I think its a great idea :joy:
I been waiting for the last three weeks of payroll. :sweat: I’m runnin low on funds at this point and getting impatient

1 Like

I honestly think a well organized strike would cripple 90% of the companies in this industry within a couple weeks these businesses aren’t built to stop production if the growers strike the plants die If the trimmer strikes no flower for the stores if the lab employees strike no extract being produced and that means no money being made

17 Likes

But bot many of then can afford to do so(employee) as they don’t have finical freedom or a back stock of money. Most folks I know working cultivation or in a lab make less than 17-20/hr not nearly enough in most cases. Especially for the work they do.

Not at all against this as it would be one of the most beneficial things to come to play. But it’s just a harsh reality we are forced to speculate. Unless you’re a company on your own & can make ends meat or have a trust fund I don’t see to many folks hitting strike to form a union in the industry. I always tell everyone in it, don’t wait on opportunity or let someone not praising you stop you, they keep in the back of their head nothing but numbers(bigwigs) so that’s all we are most of the time is another number to them that can be easily replaced. Of course that term changes once you get to folks with a appeasing level of experience & are hard to come by ie the unicorns.

5 Likes

This exact situation is why I’m asking around im financially stable with or without these jobs but I have several entry level employees who need the money and I feel for them when the cant make rent or get groceries but don’t have a solution for them :sweat:

7 Likes

i think after 90 days every extractor should be making $25 an hour minimum. I think this would improve quality across the board as you would have less turnover.

20 Likes

It would probably take a multitude of investments and a high % of the employees to properly develop a union but in the long run it’s the only thing thats going to help force the hands of the chads to make changes

4 Likes

chads dont change…

10 Likes

This is what we pay our guys after their 90 day probation

7 Likes

Shit tell that to some big oil companies I know a lot paying less than 18-20 a hour to people that have been with them for years :joy::joy: it’s sad. Then I also know one company that’s small in employees but big on gratitude. They pay their roto guy who does not much but roto 30/hr.

3 Likes

This is why I don’t think it’ll work.

Some bozo is always going to take a Chad’s money.

1 Like

Thats the truth and why we need some good ol cronie union strong arming

1 Like

i like how you noticed the 90 day period… cause someone green as shit shouldnt be making dick to learn. It almost should be the other way around. You should almost have to intern for 90 days to learn cause that education is almost priceless…

10 Likes

Well, it sounded like a wannabe mob at the start, its certainly trending that way.

1 Like

Bozos can’t produce everything by themselves though and generally you have to pay scabs 2-3x as much as the regular employees

1 Like