Cannabis unions

No one with little to no experience should be making more than the minimum to learn. Just to keep it legal. Lol but if a facility were to intern it I think they would have a upper hand if they were fully integrated.

More joking then not generally with unions you have a legal option to handle Businesses in the courts or arbitration vs traditional drug market rules that already seem to run the industry

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what I tell all my guys we hire like learn with me for 3 months and you have a place in this industry for life

3 Likes

You donā€™t need a union for this purpose. A simple contract is sufficient.

Well, thatā€™s the point right? Take this out of the back alleys.

My point is you donā€™t need a union for any of the issues youā€™ve outlined thus far. You only need an informed worker, which Iā€™m sure we can all jest aroundā€¦

To expand on this whole notion, I think if you really want to encourage positive change, well, folks in your position @TheWillBilly can do just that; unions not withstanding.

Simply providing transparency around market expectations and rates will help to stabilize the income of qualified positions.

When you negotiate, particularly when you are young or not entirely valuable in your career just yet, you will often look at comparable salaries; usually based on job postings.

This is one way chads control the market; donā€™t advertise, donā€™t put firm numbers, be vague.

You mentioned a 90 day learner program, thats EXCELLENT! I love it, and I wish more people knew about it. The more people ASK for these kinds of things, the more common it will become in the industry

2 Likes

And my point is a union would help some of the less informed or less stable employees how many guys making 15$ an hour can afford to fight something in court?

1 Like

Thatā€™s the exact opposite of why you need a union I think as this industry grows and more people get involved were heading for a great depression like event where tens of thousands could be left unemployed

Once federally legal its almost guaranteed the big tobacco alcohol and pharma companies are going to buy out everything they can then undersell everyone else

4 Likes

So would a news letter.

Are you proposing your hypothetical union is going to stand in for these cases?

How much in union dues can this hypothetical $15/hr worker afford to give?

Who are you going to unionize? You think some kid getting in the cannabis industry is going to turn down an opportunity because its not a union job?

It sounds like you want a union to replace stupidity. Which, ya know, is kinda stupid.

1 Like

Maybe with a union he will make more :man_shrugging:
It doesnā€™t necessarily need to be a union like yiy said a newsletter could help but then it comes back to whos making it whos distributing it whos paying that person todo it? Iā€™ve made amazing money in these industries and just would like to help find a way for others not so fortunate to have a guide through this cesspool

3 Likes

Bring to the cannabis industry paid quarterly bonuses for both the company and employee performance. Stop letting business owners take all, somehow give employees a piece of the pie. Like 1% of net minimums or similar.

Bring certification and safety training certs to create minimum skill baselines.

3 Likes

Ive hired high dollar lawyers to draw up every contract ive ever signed most coming into this industry would sign anything to have the chance and then figure out later how fucked they are from their contract

1 Like

All that takes is about an hour or two of your time and some willingness to write it down.

A union is a very specific organization for a specific purpose.

Be transparent with people about what they should be expecting to make relative to their position and experience.

Thats the only way Chadā€™s lose their power.

1 Like

None of this is specific to cannabis, the cannabis industry or the workers therein.

This is just general business sense, which, most people donā€™t have any reason to have.

You wanna help the industry? Release the contracts you trust for others to build from. Promote that. Promote equity on all your platforms including the company you work with (Iā€™m assuming they are on board with you given your partnership. Might as well leverage it.), be transparent about the money one can command. Donā€™t use yourself as the example, Iā€™m sure you have successful underlings you can prop up; thats what it should be about after all.

2 Likes

:point_up: maybe this should be the discussion

1 Like

Letā€™s kick it off!

Letā€™s start a list of all positions in the industry, we can focus on the ones relative to our sector of it, and lay out what a career path looks like. You mentioned a 90 day interim period, I love it, whats the expectations for experience coming in? Any? Any schooling required? Personally I donā€™t think it matters but maybe someone wants to be a stickler about having taken ā€œhigh school chemā€.

Letā€™s build a list, entry qualifications, realistic and otherwise, and what a typical path one might take. For a basic example Iā€™ll use ā€œSPD Techā€. How do we measure success of the SPD tech? What makes a tech Grade 1 versus Grade 2 (senior, junior, whatever you like to use). Lay out some milestone goals, performance metrics.

In most industries you are paid relative your value, that value can be in any number of forms. Name, appearance, industry certification; what work does a level 1 tech need to do to be recognized as a level 2? What is the value of a level 1 vs level 2 and how does that relate to their expected salary?

Everything we come up with is only a suggestion for the future, but if enough of us use that as a basis for business, we can elevate it to become the standard of quality workplaces. It will never be the standard for businesses that donā€™t care and thereā€™s nothing we can do about that aside from giving their potential employees better employment options

6 Likes

Collective bargaining isnā€™t really needed for this industry.

You have c level, director level and management that will all be payed according to their last job and entry level people that will be payed entry level wages.

What would collective bargaining change to the point that someone would want to pay for it in the form of union dues and lost wages due to walk outs when fighting for contracts?

5 Likes

Generally donā€™t think a high school diploma is necessary for most positions in this industry as knowledge can be learned by everyone, personally I figure out what my max productivity looks like and the value associated with that so let take a tech III running the spd pulls 10 liters in his shift that product depending on state is worth 5-15k per Liter so you just produced 50-150k worth of products divide this by 60% for the overhead costs then calculate 1% and that puts you at $200 daily or 52k a year

4 Likes

Corporate cannabis is absolutely terrified of unions. A local cultivator apparently had some staff mentioning the ā€œuā€ word and next thing they know the founder of the company is casually dropping in to give little pep talks to the trim crew to act like they care all of a sudden.

I do not know enough about unions to comment I just know big cannabis companies are very threatened by the idea. If I remember correctly rumor of employees unionizing caused one of their stocks to plummet.

4 Likes

The primary reason I donā€™t believe cannabis businesses need to be too concerned is the sheer availability of workforce.

4 Likes

Oh yeah My guys went on strike for like 6 hours on Monday and my partners fucking freaked had the lab gates locked with a bike lockā€¦

4 Likes

Sounds relevant! Whats the dish?