Cannabis TIssue Culture - a quick guide

Hi Guys,
for the ones of you interested in Tissue culture and micropropagation, I wrote little article on my consulting website. If you find any mistakes/if I left something out, just tell me :smiley:
Have a good one

10 Likes

Solid write up. Nice work.

E.coli does not have ā€œeā€ on both ends

the infectious disease causing Escherichia colie

4 Likes

Thanks, missed that, already corrected :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™m working on an equipment and supplies website. Do you have ready access to all of the gear you need to do your work?

2 Likes

Thx for asking, but weā€™re based in europe. I donā€™t know how it is with import taxes from the US to Switzerland

I could probably help some with equipment and supplies for TC.

2 Likes

Good work, thanks for sharing.

Give me a list! :heart:

2 Likes

Well played my friendā€¦

Nice, where are you located :smiley:

Dm me

Has anyone tried TC at home, How much will the investment be, I got a small garden but I want to learn other skills apart from growing while i wait to harvest. And TC seems like the likely step.

5 Likes

Depends on whether you can keep a steril environment and your application. Do you just want to reproduce plantles? Then I would say not that high, but for rapid expansion via callus culture or complicated tasks like embryo rescue the investment will be above 2k, bc you need a microscope

Well I want to do as much as I can in my apartment, I just moved into and own a small 5 plants garden, I want to learn another skill apart from growing. I know to be able to clone my plants and sell those clones to others. I like the idea of having clones so quickly without the need of cuttings.
What is Rapid expansion, via callus culture and embryo rescues, can all those be done within an 800 sqft apartments. I also live in GA and cannabis really isnt that legal here yet.

They can be done, but I dont think itā€™s effective without a real lab. I would stick to replication as this doesnt require a microscope. You need a steril working place, something to sterilize all your equipment, proper PPE, culture vessels (search for magenta boxes), scalpell, tweezers, MS-Medium, hormones, a light + hardening environment and for better rep rates MESO+a bit of ammonium nitrate. This prevents hydrisis (water buildup in plant tissue). Also a motherplant to take cuttings from, it can be conventional or a TC Clone that you took before and that has grown multiple shoots. This tech is called retipping and also increases survival rate

2 Likes

Thanks, can i order all these equipments from amazon, also how much should I budget for these?

The main stronghold of TC is the chimeric mutations, somaclonal variability and the power to reproduce a virus infested plant without spreading the disease in valuable genetics.

Not to mention how much a fridge with a little ligh sup can really hold of hunders of baby jars :slight_smile:and the right mix will halt your decelopment of valuable genetics till next season without much hassleā€¦

Its not (argubly somaclones are) GMO it probably saved the world quite a few times by nowā€¦and it will in the future.

Anyone had experiwnce with protoplast fusions of Cannabaceae? If so make thread please lets talk biology more!

Callin on people that know Sam R. Zwenger. Someone here must know him :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Haha here come the professionals^^thanks for the added info :smiley: TC is truly the future of reproduction.
No havenā€™t heard of it/tried it. Have you made first hand experience with it?^^

1 Like

I havenā€™t but it would be coolā€¦

Heard rumors around uni that people are trying to fuse cannabis after the shift is endedā€¦

I am your humble student BB :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Making protoplasts isnā€™t all that difficultā€¦but Iā€™ve never seen the point in fusing, either within or across genera. Seems like too big a hammer to achieve much in the way of ā€œprogressā€.

Works for transient expression of electroporated trans-genes. There are easier ways to achieve stable transformation. Gene gun is my go to.

Havenā€™t played these tricks in cannabisā€¦but I get the impression that itā€™s almost as easy as tobacco.

Not quite ancient technology, but getting pretty long in the tooth, and generally less repeatable than the more selective tools used to move genes around these days.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/219/4585/683

plain old sex is another option (I worked with Oscar on this).

ā€¦but again, a rather blunt instrument

Edit: yeah, back in ā€˜84 when I was first making protoplasts, the guy with the PhD thought is was worth looking at. That went out the window once we got our first gene gun built in ā€˜88

7 Likes