Cannabis Industry Resumes [Offered Service]

As someone hiring consistently in this industry, ill add a couple points.
Every applicant should be able to describe their experience in a one page, concise doc. I get 200+ resumes every time i reach out for applicants. Those that are too wordy, or dont get to the point right away tend to feel like im wasting time when i have to spend multiple days going through resumes.
Simple resumes can have all the points im looking for vs. heavy graphical resumes.
Its very hard as an employer to accurately gauge trap experience, a resume that focuses solely on underground work shows dedication to the plant but does not accurately show how well individuals work in a system. Bottom line is if you put “ran my own business(extractor/grow)” and didnt pay taxes, run payroll, deal with invoices and accounts payable then you might not have the full experience you are trying to list.
we can also see very quickly when applicants are padding the resume with subjective experiences that are we are not able to actually verify. IE. “made the best shelf stable shatter products”

what we like to see:
multiple years with one company (moving jobs year to year shows you might not have staying power)
advancement within one job (you put in your dues and moved up the ladder based on merit and work ethic)
ability to bring your own skils to the table, but also ability to follow directions and train on new processes show computer skills you actually possess, microsoft office suite, google suite, adobe suite.
show you can have execptional attendance, punctuality and attention to detail

Keep up the work Darren! i love that you found a niche!

6 Likes

This is actually great feedback. So this is from my preference to do everything in adobe illustrator since I have more freedoms their but in reality once its ported to PDF its a mess to go in and edit.

To solve this I will port into a microsoft word type document format and that will allow you to make edits yourself. Give me a bit and Ill make time to port yours properly! :clinking_glasses:

This is definitely something I implemented and appreciate your confirmation as an employer.

Also very great feedback and key points listed on this reply! Thanks @stickyproducts !! :wave:

This resonates heavily. Its variations of experience I have to work with but I always like to identify skills their trap actually required and then fill in the systems blanks by noting any traditional job titles they have held in their lives.

1 Like

I recently used Darren to help me revise my resume and I am extremely happy with the service he provided. He’s down to earth and easy to talk to which made the initial phone interview pleasant. We talked on the phone for almost an hour and he was able to have 2 rough draft copies for me in just a couple of days. He was very attentive to detail and was able to pick a style that best represented how I was trying to portray myself. My final copy is great and I recommend anyone who is trying to level up in this industry to the legal market use his services. You definitely won’t be disappointed!

4 Likes

@Bhodacious Man it was a pleasure working with you and hearing your history of consistent lab development here in California! I relate in a lot of ways. Was a fun process getting something developed for you.

I hope to hear how the opportunity search goes! :clinking_glasses::handshake:

P.S: Thanks for taking time to review

2 Likes

I need to make a resume. Its awkward to have no recent experience but i guess industry people get that? I see a local job at the college cannabis lab that I think I mainly need to get a meeting with the lab director. It says 1000 hours cannabis experience needed. I have well over that actively planting watering and chopping it down let alone the hours its just growing. Id say i had 1000 hours research before my first adult harvest. Its not quite wook, its mostly teaching and Im good at that. It looks like they are running experiments to start and not a greenhouse. it would be a great way in- first legal college cannabis program in the state so that would be a good thing on a resume vs blank years. It asks for references which is part of why i need a meetup, i dont want fake references but legal businesses who actually meet me would be good references. and it has one dumb requirement of one reference must be my last direct supervisor. I dunno if hes even alive. I was a ups driver working completely independent with no supervisors even at the building for over 10 years and was focused on getting more and more packages by waiting for more if they had more coming on their conveyors at warehouses. The next day the supervisor would complain someone else got it done faster… one package almost paid my whole wage if its 50 lbs next day air. I used to end my route in a frenzy and liked it that way if i wasnt interrupted. Id have a 747 on the field at ohare waiting to takeoff in 1 hour and id have 17 stops left. I had fun rushing like that but sometimes theyd tell me to take extra stops and didnt understand i was under the gun.

2 Likes

Amazing timing, was thinking of finding someone to do mine and this pops up. I’ll shoot you a dm this weekend.

2 Likes

Lack of a formalized experience can be overcome by focusing on what you do know to get in the door and then winning the people game during an interview. Send me the job posting, Ill give it a read through and see what kind of listing it is. Now adays people know the advantage of having wild cards in the workplace but those wild cards need to know how to get the job done, act in meetings, and shut their mouth when appropriate. All very important and can consciously be perfected. :tophat::v:

1 Like

Yea of course brotha man. Ive done quite a variety of resumes and everyone comes out great despite what type of experience they have. The most important thing is the goals. Being real about where you are now and what position that lines you up for. :clinking_glasses::grin:

4 Likes

This is dope man

1 Like

Im nothing like my posts in real life. Unless i start winning at poker when im drunk and I thump.

1 Like

Great info and well thought Resume builder. If I had the money, I would hit you up for some advice but alas, I quit my extraction job with no backup, so I am on the hunt for money-making opportunities. Perhaps I will find you in the future!

still hoping to get an example resume.

How on earth can anyone verify “1000 hours” of experience???

I can offer anyone free resume advice, just DM me. I have worked in pharmaceuticals, cannabis, and biotechnology. When I was interested in working with cannabis, I amassed about 12 written offers from cannabis companies. I will share my knowledge for free

2 Likes

1000/hrs is about a year’s worth of experience.
Let say you work a bi weekly payroll schedule, you’ll work about 160/hrs a month(40/hrs X week), [160/hrs•12/months = 1,920/hrs]

Dropping a deuce and you had me thinking.

1 Like

Here is an example resume you/anyone can use. Its an anonymous/outdated copy of my own, but the format I still use is the same.

Incognito_Resume_Feb_2019_v8.pdf (153.2 KB)

2 Likes

That math suggests 1000 hours is 6 months of 8hr/day work.

8 hours a day x 250 working days/yr = 2000 hours.

I think some payrolls use 2080 hours/year as their metric, but for mental math I use 2000 hours/year.

2 Likes

That is a solid template.

2 Likes

Me too, I read F42 most every time I crap

4 Likes

Thanks! I took some resume workshops in college and had it reviewed on a number of occasions to arrive that that format - and I still make small changes. For instance, I only added the “PROJECTS” section a few years into my career because it started to seem more relevant than coursework. At some point, I should remove coursework entirely since it’s less and less relevant if I took fluid dynamics in 2014.

The chemical engineering subreddit has a resume thread every month for engineers to run their (anonymous) resumes past other engineers/engineering hiring managers in their field. I would recommend it to anyone, but those guys are not shy with the criticism so if anyone uses that service they should just be objective and not take it personally if their resume gets thrashed.