Cannabis cup winners- what makes them special

I can’t speak beyond 11-14, I do believe there are a few valid winners but #1s always $$$. Was affiliated with cool calm collective when they won 3rd for best hybrid so cal cup og backhill growers doing it for 20+ years, it was a pleasure to extract for these guys. It was cured 3 months and probly one of the smoothest flowers I’ve smoked to date.

1 Like

So what are some strains and breeders does everyone think actually should win cannabis cups if they weren’t bought.

I have some IHG platinum garlic , but have read it’s mediocre when it comes to strength and terps. I was thinking about getting some csi humboldt medicino purple because heard good things about the breeder and that strain looks sexy as hell. What are some strong strains with terps of the grower didint matter.

Any other ideas, trying to use this stimulus

You could buy exotic strains. Hype shit is always in. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I just want to avoid I think Barney’s and fast buds stuff like that , that take hype strains and then they are an abomination basically, like purple punch and that auto they made with it(bad example but I was hyped for that)

That why I chose ihg because they consistently have the best bag appeal , but if it lacking in other departments then I would like to try a different breeder with stronger stuff that looks similarly as frosty. The purple wasn’t the best example because it’s not the strongest and is all nah appeal basically but I liked the high when I tried some in denver over the higher thc stuff.

Are hype strains just like I said purple punch, slurrican , zkittles, runtz shit like that? I think all I listed are like a generation behind what’s hype now though .

1 Like

Man - that happens to me all the time now. I find myself enjoying the mid range 14-17% way more than the +25% stuff. Had a 13% this week, sent me on the best out of body experience. <3

I always wonder how people decide what’s best - some of my favorites are things from 20 years ago (from a breeding perspective) you know?

3 Likes

What the fuck weed y’all be smoking and having out of body experiences?!?

9 Likes

Right…Takes me dabbing all morning to be level…(maybe my level is out of body and I just don’t realize it, maybe I’m always tripping balls and this is the new norm? Tbh I have never had an out of body experience on thc…)

Lol

All that said, I have had friends (when I was younger, I don’t have friends now…) with low tolerances (like even after smoking for awhile) and they would be full retard mode after I smoked with them, never understood it. But hey, they seemed to enjoy themselves.

7 Likes

I like having an option, sometimes I wake up when I just want to watch movies or price is right high as hell , that’s when I picked up the purple over the heavy sativa high thc option I had . Or sometimes one with a high terpene content won’t exactly be the strongest but will smell the best and taste the best

2 Likes

Most of the time, it comes down to personal preference with flower and extract. Even though I can’t smoke anymore, I can still appreciate (and grow!) well crafted or unique flower and extracts.

5 Likes

Breaks my heart

6 Likes

I will burn 1 in silence for the Brothers that can no longer burn!

4 Likes

How come?

3 Likes

COPD. I wasn’t kind to myself for a long time.

5 Likes

Gets my grandpa too, he misses smoking doinks, but the mans been smoking cigarettes for the better half of 65 years. He occasionally wants to puff every now & again but the aftermath is painful to watch. Even the inhalers with thc get him worked up.

2 Likes

If u wanna approach cup winning potential Its a genetic plus numbers game. Right genetic, hundreds/thousands of different phenos. Example grab whatever csi pack your looking at. Pick best female you like make sure she doesn’t herm, knock her up with a male of same pack. Run a huge pheno hunt.

2 Likes

my mom just died and had copd and a tank… Take care of yourself. She smoked alot of cigs most of her life but quit 25 years ago.

cup is a buyout, local contests arent.

All my bosses don’t smoke they’re just suits, and it’s disgusting. They come to us when they don’t know how to do something, which is all the time haha

Over a hundred cannabinoids (so far) and us silly humans really thought THC was the only heavy hitter.

The more i interact with this plant, the more i begin to understand what makes it so special.

One hundred… will be two hundred soon… only the plant is capable of creating what we cannot.

cc is a pay for play game. They ran/are running one in chicago. they did a thing where you went to a dispensary and paid alot of money for a variety of store weed. then you vote, and about now the results would be coming in. I dont buy store weed, and by the time is now the weed has changed completely. Obv they send only good samples to sell to people to test for cannabis cup, likely kiefed.