Canna -pruno

Alright so my experience in making alcohol goes about as far as making pruno in jail…

One of the major problems that comes fron warm extracting with ethanol as a solvent, is the co-extraction of plant sugars.

Is there a feasible way to take this sugar loaded crude and ferment it?

5 Likes

The sugars on their own can be extracted by water washing
In the crude and all I duno :thinking:

3 Likes

What about byproducts?

Furfural? Lactic acidic and other OA’s are formed.

Are these valuable by-products? Or are you pointing out that they are undesirables.

This could be a good discussion for processing spent biomass into a profitable compound

2 Likes

Furfurals are byproducts with ethanol. So the more furfural is present the less the ethanol is produced

Would the organic acids produced not mess with isomerizations etc?

Can we phone a friend? Maybe @cyclopath or @Photon_noir

1 Like

So you’re in jail with a unending supply of cannabis and you want liquor instead :thinking:

Or someone to bail you out?

—————
Is this ferment meant for delivering cannabinoids as well as liquor?

Are we using spent input?

I’m not sure I understand the question…

3 Likes

It’s a very open ended discussion :sweat_smile:
I’m not sure there is a question anymore…

OK
Let’s ferment some Cannabis sugars,
What can we create? Is it consumable? Is it used for something nonconsumable? Am I too stoned?

4 Likes

If the object of the game is to pull sugary crude, with ethanol, remove the ethanol, then convince some critter to make more ethanol, it might could be done, but would not be worth the effort, and would likely do a number on the cannabinoid profile too.

Fungi seem to specialize in figuring out how to eat new stuff, so you can often select for “eat this!” simply by insisting that “this” is all we’ve got…but you’re giving them “sugar” AND your precious cannabinoids (and fuck knows what else)…so yeah, expect the unexpected.

If the object is to make fuel grade liquor with spent biomass, that is being done already.

Not the way I’d like to do it, but done.

5 Likes

If Will semisynthetic and synthetic cannabinoids be prohibited in future? - #47 by BrotanicalMatt

Then maybe “fermenting” ones crude or distillate does make sense…

No officer, I was not aware that letting my CBD get moldy like that was turning it into THC

3 Likes

Is this a compliment :rofl::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I like that you’re thinking outside the bag, or bottle, as it were, @Apothecary36! No harm in that, and possibly some help! It’s an interesting proposal to turn an undesirable into just another solvent, but unfortunately the yeasts make a lot more than just ethanol as a waste product… @BrotanicalMatt already mentioned furfural and some of the others, and there are odd ketones, aldehydes, ethyl acetate and other funky esters, as well. Even if it were plausible to remove these buggers, I believe the concentration of sugar is too low to start. Getting the dead yeast bodies out of it might be tricky, too. Also, terpenes and ethanol itself will stop the reproduction of yeast cells and their metabolic functions will cease or even be unable to start in the quagmire of poison and waste products that is cannabis resin. Sadly, I think this idea may not be worth persuing, but please keep thinking critically about the problems you want to solve! It’s an important skill to exercise! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m just gonna drop this here…

It will not ferment due to a high content of compounds affecting bacteria and fungi. Also the amount of sugars is too low for that.

Better option would be to use enzimes to break celulose from spent biomass and use it as a base for fermentation.

In theory you could get some methanol and quite a lot of ethanol doing that.

1 Like

One can get 50g of cellulase from Sigma for 120 usdeeros or .5kg for about $100 from ebay. 500g should be enough to process between 5-25 tons of biomass (depends on pH, temp, biomass quality and so on).

2 Likes