Can you use denatured Alcohol (200 proof) to extract

I’m trying to find a cheaper way to extract with ethanol and I found 710spirits sales denatured alcohol 200 proof for $757 and there’s no sales tax due to the fact that they add heptane to offset the tax’s. Is this still good to use for extraction?

you see on the label where it says “extraction grade”?

my understanding is this denatured formulation was made up specifically for this industry to avoid the beverage alcohol tax. [which you can ask for all but $1/gal back if you feel like telling the feds what you’re using it for.]

the question has still come up repeatedly.
I suggest you read a couple of the hits behind Search results for 'heptane denatured' - Future4200

I prefer 190 proof sourced from organic inputs, but I’m a hippy in Eugene. ymmv.

https://www.ttb.gov/applications/manufacturer_nonbeverage_products_packet.shtml

5 Likes

I’ve used it and do not like it. The extract had an off putting smell and flavor. Cane ethanol is for sure the best, grain is second!

3 Likes

for taste, I don’t know that Organicalcohol.com’s grape sourced 190 can be beaten, but I have to admit I’ve not tried more than 1/2 dozen flavors (besides my own), and five of them were from Ashland.

4 Likes

Grape and apple are on the very short list of flavors to try!! Drooling as I think of what a fire sauce made with grape ethanol is going to taste like!!

2 Likes

I’ve noticed a slight difference in using 190 proof food grade versus the denatured stuff. I’m getting a little more waxes and wax carry over using the same sop I was before it’s clear to me that using denatured needs a more in-depth winterizing and scrub procedure pure ethanol seems to be a little more forgiving

3 Likes

Maybe adding 5% water to the heptane-denatured stuff would make waxes a little less soluble? Think 190 proof, but denatured.

1 Like

That’s not a bad idea. Now we just gotta put it to the test.

My current stuff is testing out around 190. I imagine it has pulled moisture from Atmos but I’m not sure what that 5% heptane does with the hygrometer