can I use a rotary evaporator to produce distillate?

if i properly winterize after an ethanol extraction, can i produce high quality distillate in a rotary evaporator without having to run it through short path distillation after? can i essentially perform short path distillation in the rotary evaporator without having to buy more equipment?

thanks!

That depends on your understanding of the process.

I believe there is decent evidence that you can perform that trick with the addition of a toaster oven.

Chances are you’ll need more vacuum pump then you currently own.

You might could skip the toaster oven with some creative rewiring of the temp controls.

5 Likes

No you cant. Not easily atleast

2 Likes

I do actually have a heating mantle and larger vacuum pump. with a few modifications to my rotary evaporator set up, It seems like i could pull it off without having to buy or build an entirely different distillation set up. thoughts?

1 Like

The condenser + vapor path + sizing is gonna make this thing real awkward.

Technically feasible. Yes. Practically? No.

5 Likes

or is there some crucial step or difference im missing all together?

You have a mantle and pump then just hit up @david. His glass is good and a great price.
If this was something that was easily doable wouldnt you think everyone would be doing this then?

4 Likes

Full glass setup can be found for around 600

1 Like

The condenser is not ideal. But if you can run it at 150C all the bits you don’t want should pass it by. If you’ve got a mantle, a decent pump, and extract you don’t mind losing, then by all means test your knowledge of the problem.

1 Like

Is it even safe for the roto to be brought up to those temps? Id be worried about melting something

1 Like

I wouldnt think a rotovap can handle low vac depths.

2 Likes

That was my next thought

Point at the bits that worry you…

In the case of my liitle bucci, i would absolutely lose this bit…

The glass and Teflon is all up to the task, including vac depth. Unless you’ve got something really exotic sucking on it

1 Like

im now starting to realize that i can just build a short path system with my existing equipment if i just order the glassware and a few bits. I really appreciate all the help!

5 Likes

That was where we were trying to get you :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

hahah yeah I think i made it more complex than i needed too

My 2 liter survived my 35cfm Edwards once…never tried it again.

4 Likes

and-lived-happily-ever-after-imgflip-com-37675882

5 Likes

Have you ever tried riding off into the sunset? It’s a horrible idea. Can’t see a damn thing :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I’d like to know what it did to a beer keg…:thinking: