Can I control this with a variac?

This thing is already controlled by a rheostat, would I be able to plug it into a variac to control the temp. If I did this would I want to crank the dial on the rheostat to max and then use the dial on the variac for control?

2 Likes

Pid control, install type k thermocouple.

5 Likes

I’ve got a pid box, but its got about
4 or 5 leads too many.

Could you help me identify?

There’s already a k type thermocouple strapped to the heater coil.

1 Like

pid controlls the relay, relay is like a switch. Got a pic of the back of the pid?

2 Likes

I know probably ain’t what ur asking for.

I’m big daddy developmentally challenged

2 Likes

ahh, so the output is coming from the plug. Do you have the cord that plugs into the controll?

Yes, this is what I need help identifying. At least I think.

do you have the plug, or is the intent just to wire this thing?
Looks like a enail controll kinda.

open the box up so you can trace the wires.

2 Likes

Thats exaxctly what it is. I was hoping someone knows what each of these wires did. Should be easy to trace out but like I said I’d be happy to have someone school me instead lol.

2 Likes

open the case up, not sure how it is currently wired?

1 Like

Roger.

1 Like

Copy.

1 Like

Good idea! You can also look at the wiring code for the plug. You should have a hot, neutral, ground, and the thermocouple leads.

Facing the plug and starting on the left, moving counter clockwise, mine is as follows:

black- hot
red-hot
green- ground
blue-thermocouple, polarity ?
blue-thermocouple , polarity ?

5 Likes

It would be interesting to compare the code to how this is wired, I have seen these Chinese enails wired all kinds of ways. Probably to keep the competitions parts from working on their unit or whatever wire that had on hand?

5 Likes

Wire up a MOSFET and a dial. Modulate the power for a few bucks. Bet you can hold a temp within a few degrees.

U lil dirty girls gonna get a reply when I sober up.

1 Like

Good point, though he could check own plug for the wiring order. They typically just screw apart.

I too would be interested in seeing the inside to see what capacity SSR it has. @Franklin , what KW is the still heating elementl?

2 Likes

It’s 120v so at most I would imagine 1300w maybe a little more. The age and size screams under 15 amps as well. The controller has a c14 outlet. So maybe 115 amp after the SSR.

4 Likes

Could you clarify that last sentence? I infer you mean 11.5 amps load, or a 15 amp minimum SSR.

1 Like

When I rewired my hydraulic pump I could see why the previous owner confused it with a 120v unit instead of 12vdc. Outsourcing components is a motherfucker when different countries have different standards.

Funny you mention the variac - they work like a charm on high gain amplifiers that if you want to get to that PERFECT level of distortion you normally have to crank up to fucking 11 if you don’t mind re-biasing the tubes. It is a godsend for my JCM 800

1 Like