CA Grow light regulations

Anyone else see this? I’m not in ca, just thought this was wild. Opinions (would really like to hear from some license holders)?

My opinion: California’s over regulation (of everything) is insane LOL

While I don’t agree with regulations like this. There should be a conversation on how much energy and waste are produced by the industry.

7 Likes

You have no clue my bro. A cannabis cop was here this week and told us to build a wall with a door. I run out to home depot buy all the supplies and he calles back the next day and says to forget about it. :man_facepalming:t2: Said it would change my plans and that was illegal. I’m going to look into this. TY :pray:t2:

2 Likes

This made me lol.

And fuck, that’s insane…

3 Likes

No joke, he is a detective on the regular then 1 day a week he is a cannabis cop. Some one got ran over and killed that morning. He came over did his thing then was like, hey I got to go back to the scene talk to you next week.

2 Likes

That can’t be real. Led doesn’t grow like a De bulb.

2 Likes

Links related.

https://ucba.com/news/5x69w7ww53x6xeql7hp6pgm7zv9hrz

2022Title 24, Part 6 Draft CASE Report–2022-NR-COV-PROC4-D|202.1Horticultural Lighting Minimum Efficacy2.1.1Measure Overview The horticultural lighting minimum efficacy submeasure proposes a mandatory requirement for minimum photosynthetic photon efficacy (PPE) of 2.1 micromolesper joule (μMol/J) for luminaires used for plant growth and maintenance in indoor growingfacilities with more than 1,000 ft2of canopyand a minimum PPE of 1.7μMol/J in greenhouseswith more than 1,000 ft2of canopy.Thesubmeasure requires time-switch controlsandmultilevel lightingcontrols in both types of CEH facilities.

They go on to say

Lastly, light-emitting diode (LED) lighting can have a larger form factor and cause shading in greenhouses, with one research study finding that LED lighting caused a daylight reduction 2.5 to 11 times greater than that of HPS (Radetsky 2018). While this issue may be addressed in coming years by luminaire redesign and technological improvement, in today’s market providing options other than LED lighting for greenhouses is important.

If it can be regulated, leave it to California to think it’s a good idea to do so.

1 Like

That’s what I thought, too.

Is anyone here killing it on yield with LEDs? I don’t know the answer, but would be interested in hearing the replies to that question.

1 Like

We found that LEDs allow a higher lighting density and therefore higher yield but the energy cost isn’t less than HID because we’re just using more light. Pulling around 5lb/16sqft indoor. I don’t know if anyone considers that killing it but I don’t feel like our yields are suffering.

Worth noting that our environmental controls would be way harder with HIDs outputting a bunch of IR.

That being said, this is still some bullshit. Just because we put a ton (and I mean a fucking ton) of work into getting our lights to work for us doesn’t mean everyone should have to.

Also, during validation we ran a ton of different lights using our spectrophotometer; lots of LEDs do not put out as much light as you would expect and almost none output what they advertise. The California Lightworks we settled on outputs nearly twice what a Gavita 1000DE does but costs like 6x as much. And from a conservation standpoint, we’ve trashed dozens of them because they break if you look at them; hardly worth the power savings

2 Likes

5# in a 4x4? I need proof and if proof provided I will come work for free for 1 yr!

5 Likes

Yeah I’m the loudmouth guy that says “but I can’t because NDA yada yada”, you can take my word for it or not. There are certainly a lot more factors than just the lights and keep in mind that we are running more than one light per 44" x 44" table section in a large room. Unfortunately I’m not really supposed to be on here and I can’t provide any information that would be “identifying”.

2 Likes

I would say that’s killing it lol. That’s 5oz per sq ft.

4 Likes

Are you rocking the solar storm 880? I’ve got a line on a ton of them

Solar system 1100 but if I’m honest I hate them because their QC is fucking terrible. We’ve had nearly 30% of our lights break within a year of purchase and there’s way too much white light. Other than that though the output in the right spectrums is good, we bumped the FR with supplemental and added UV. In the future I think I’ll commission something from China instead

1 Like

Ouch…

1 Like

5# per 4x4…

That’s some crazy numbers. 3gpw aprox. Elan musk should hire ya for spaceX.

I’ve been into some massive grows. 5# per 4x4 is impressive. More so than a hypercar screaming down the freeway.

1 Like

Y’all are stroking my ego too much lol that wasn’t my intention

1 Like

This is why you are doing so well. I have been working with two LED companies for a while now. The one company was founded by a guy who worked for Boeing. When i first saw his nearly all white LED 3yrs ago I doubted him. Now we are seeing the best results from these type of units.

3 Likes

This study is a comprehensive look at ways to improve sustainability for indoor Cannabis Cultivation Facilities. Unfortunately they spent most of the time and energy in the report discussing trivial energy considerations and running econometric models. There is no “outside the box thinking” here. While the stated goal is to reduce power consumption, the metric that is focused on is PPF/Joule for the individual lights, NOT THE OVERALL SYSTEM.

Given that when you turn on any 1000 watt light (LED or HPS) roughly half of that power makes heat. The other half generates photons which we use to grow our crops. The energy in those photons ends up either as heat in the walls, floors, soil and air OR as moisture (humidity). Most facilities use dehumidifiers that extract the water and dump the heat into the grow room, where it has to be removed by an air conditioner. Just using a split cycle dehumidifier can reduce energy consumption by roughly 20%. Also the air coming out of the dehumidifier is at the dew point so you get an air conditioning credit. In many cases, this type of system can be used to handle the AC load as well, obviating the need for a separate AC system if you can get rid of the original heat from the lights from the grow room.

If you manage to extract the initial heat from the lamps and dump it outside the room, the energy costs can be reduced by another 20%. This is not rocket science, just good engineering. Using water-cooled lights means that you capture the heat in a form that can be used for other heating needs (room heat, soil heat, etc) This means that all those $ you paid for kilowatt hours from PG&E are not just wasted in heating air.

Unfortunately, no evidence of this type of analysis is present in the referenced report. Until the state focuses on “Controlled Environment Horticulture” using a systems approach, we will not see truly sustainable cannabis cultivation.

4 Likes

Have you talked to Adam? He is the leading sales rep for light works. He is also a cool person also btw and I know he will make things right. did you do a lux/par test? I’ll see if I can grab him to jump on the forums and help this dilemma out.

1 Like