C18 replacement remediation and separation media

I use either acetone or methanol for washing it, but to ensure a complete same residual I’d rather bake at low temp as it’s better to IMO for removal of left over residuals. As long as no acids based organic solvents are used which then in turn would strip the bond.

There are thousands of polystyrene polymers and copolymers that are used in filtration and chromatography in other industries.

With basically an infinite library of materials that can be engineered with specific sets of parameters (particle size, porosity, polar surface area, etc.)—the possibilities for polymer utility are endless. Nanotechnology is the future of chromatography; the year is 2020, so why is everyone still using sand?

Sheeeeit… And I haven’t even gotten started on membrane permeation resistance control via electrofiltration :exploding_head:

13 Likes

@Cheebachiefextracts

Nor advised…

8 Likes

I just started using to C 18 in columns for THC remediation. Per the advice of everyone on Future’s. I flush my columns with acetone, testing every fraction for cannabinoids, even the first and second flush’s.
( Agilent 1220 Infinity ll, HPLC ) After multiple runs like this. I found that. I needed to put the c18 into a beaker on my hot plate @ 50 c. Stirring it until it is dry and manageable again for dry packing my columns.
Is this wrong ? Or is there a less time consuming method ?
NOTE : I’m still getting 0.10 to 0.20 % D 9 in my best fractions.
I’m I causing this because of my method ?

1 Like

Flush your C18 with 2 column volumes of acetone. Then flush 2 column volumes with your solvent ie ethanol/methanol. You really shouldn’t have any cannabinoids left in the column after this. I did have one batch of crude that wasn’t winterized well and I had to flush 3 column volumes to clean that up. This process has worked well for me. Also, leave the column filled with methanol/ethanol. You don’t want it to dry out.

3 Likes

Then I should be loading wet to begin with. I’ve Been loading my sample on dry Stationary media and then running my graduate Methanol and H2O. Figuring out how much media for a 3 inch column, to Sample and Methanol/H2o ratio, is mind numbing. I was hoping an isocratic method would work but have been able to make it work for THC remediation.

Thx @GreenMachine_Consult and @ObxLabs for your insight, every little bit helps. Hopefully I’ve succeeded, Friday 2-7 I sent 5 sample’s out for third party COA’s .
Cheers
The best to all.

2 Likes

You are not getting a really good separation because you are doing an isocratic method. c18 requires a gradient to have better separation.

2 Likes

@GreenMachine_Consult: Saw a sample show up in WI the other day. Zero supporting documentation. while we could all just start throwing various solvent(s)/gradients at it, it would seem more efficient to give folks a starting point.

even assuming it is a drop in replacement for C18 when using ethanol/water, some folks haven’t got those parameters under their belt

4 Likes

Yes I’ll be posting an SOP today! @cyclopath

4 Likes

@GreenMachine_Consult

What molecular mass is the saturation point for this media?

How much D9 can you run through before it loses efficiency?

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of saturation point in relation to chromatography, the max load is about ten percent, ideal load is eight percent by weight. The amount of D9 you can run through it is up to the max load per run, and from the reports I’ve gotten back from the people who have been running this in their analytical lab they’re at over 500 runs on a single column and haven’t seen a loss of efficacy. This media is not like C18 where its a synthetic bonded to an organic and the bond breaks over time. It’s completely synthetic.

2 Likes

Here’s the SOP I have developed on manual columns. It can without a doubt be improved, and this is just a starting point. I’m excited to see everyone’s results and the tweaks they make to improve the method. My partners in San Diego running this in their flash system connected two tall thin columns together serially to create one long column to see really good, clear separation. My flash system landed today, I just need to get the software updated on it and I’ll be able to help improve the method much more quickly.

https://www.grmlabs.com/blog/thc-remediation-standard-operating-procedure-sop

12 Likes

Thank you @GreenMachine_Consult and everyone else supporting this thread. I’ll let you know where i end up with it. Good luck all.

4 Likes

@GreenMachine_Consult thanks man…my terminology is off. I appreciate you correcting that for me. I learn real good, real fast :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I mean you could be absolutely right and I could be the wrong one! I’ve just never heard that term, my vocabulary might just be lacking! Nothing but love brotha! You should be getting that sample today. @Mosaic_Co-Labs

2 Likes

@GreenMachine_Consult I did receive it ty brother

1 Like

I would be interested in what you have to offer. Can you provide specs ?? We currently distribute solvents, absorbent s and packing materials. We are looking for better solutions to offer our customers. Please send to necessary info to
Rob@questscientificsolution.com

1 Like

Anyone here that received this sample media have any input on how it performed?

2 Likes

In regard to column degradation - we have been able to push past 220 column runs just fine with c18 - solvent application would be the main contributor to this and of course maintenance. We’re testing out @GreenMachine_Consult media, and look forward to pushing performance to its limits.

4 Likes