C18 replacement remediation and separation media

Hey Guys! We are giving out some 100 gram samples of our remediation media we’ve been developing, for benchtop trials. This media uses less solvent, costs less per kilo, and is reusable for 5-10x more runs than C18. It uses an isocratic method of methanol or ethanol with water for elution, and can be used with flash systems or manual columns. These samples are pretty expensive and we are a relatively small outfit, so please only request a sample if you can see yourself using this media in the future as a C18 replacement once you are satisfied with the sample. Let’s Grow Together!

16 Likes

Sounds like someone figured out MIPs, @Anonymous1234 let the cat outa the bag wayyyyyy to soon rofl. Called it.

Also DM sent

7 Likes

Also for benchtop testing i recommend a column thats at least 36 inches in height, and to fit the 100g samples to that height you need a 1/2 in ID column

1 Like

Do you recommend loading dry? Or slurry loading?

Stoked to get my sample and run some tests!!! I’ll share my results with everyone!!

1 Like

Slurry loading only. You have to soak the media overnight before packing as it actually swells up!

3 Likes

Size exclusion is the only media that I have used (Sephadex G50) where you need to swell it up overnight.

3 Likes

Pretty much any synthetic polymer will swell with soaking.

8 Likes

@GreenMachine_Consult
Crazy busy with manual columns packaged with C18 from @Shadownaught. I have wanted to get back to you but have had no time to sleep. Would love to try your material, my smallest column is 3/28 glass. All i need is enough for one to try.

1 Like

So I’m not knocking this I do want to try it but given your use ratio 8-10x more then c18, c18 is known to be reusable til the silica bond is stripped away by acidic solvent wash. So virtually infinite as long as you don’t use acids. As for it being 1600 on a kilo you can get c18 for 1500 -1300 on a kilo as well that’s my only other stand point from that until I run r&d with this media myself.

3 Likes

Yes and if you’re doing remediation of distillate which is generally acidic you can get about 100-200 uses from a column of c18. Talk to anyone who runs a flash system that tracks column runs. From my personal network the record is about 150, the biotage reps said the highest they’ve seen in their databases from systems they’ve maintained is about 200.

1 Like

Patent infringement on polystyrene and c18 is also a major dead end.
Neither of these paths will get you anywhere near a low enough cost of operation / gram to compete

3 Likes

Are you talking about polydimethylstyrene?

1 Like

I’m talking raw c18 packing yourself a column being able to remove said c18 then wash properly. If you’re remediation is of very acidic disty then you have bigger problems before hand. Always test ph on everything.

You’re repacking your column every time you run?

Not every time that all depends on the loading or if I feel I can literally push the fraction off the column. Best to use column till you see no more drop in % then unpack for cleaning then bake off

You’re baking your media and expecting it to be reused? This is direct from biotage article on extending c18 cartridge life. Baking your media will not extend its life, it will shorten it.

4 Likes

How else would you suggest removing a residual solvent lol

Not only baking, it’s being rinsed thoroughly then remove residual

i have no clue on how to use this stuff but when your flushing it are you doing it with water?

If you are using distilled water to flush, why couldnt you after youve rinsed, vacuum oven at a super low temp with full vac so the heat is minimal on the C18.

I have no clue. Id love to learn soon. It one of the few powders i really dont know how to use in real life

2 Likes

Flush your column with acetone, then flush it with the solvents you’ll be using for your next separation.

Baking c18 isn’t necessary.

6 Likes