BVV gas quality

Just wondering if anyone can speak to the quality of bvv ntane.

I currently distill my gas, 25-30lbs at a time. I’m extracting at -80c and and am pushing nitrogen to help clear the lines and material column. I’m losing 2-4lbs a run because my material column is so cold it’s still holding gas in the material and I’m not keen on heating it up to push the tails out into my collection vessel.

That all being said, I’ve heard of some people passing testing without distilling. Now I’m not trying to cut corners, but the loss of 2-4lbs every run is creating a bottle neck in my work flow.
Having to hold between runs and distill some extra gas is a bitch and it’s costing me extra dry ice I’m already burning through fairly quickly.

Is there anything I can do before my injection coils to clean and dry the incoming gas? Like maybe passing it through my mol sieve?

1 Like

I suppose I could heat it up, and just take it from the top…

1 Like

Bigger recovery pump and more pressure. Add a bit a propane if you have too.

Clean gas theoretically doesn’t need cleaning but it’s a Good Manufacturing Practice and following best practices is what a modern business should pride itself on.

3a Mol sieves will capture moisture, 13X might capture Some junk but distilling is the best solution.

The problem with your current setup is safety. If you are holding that much in your column then you are releasing that when you open the system, defeating the whole purpose of a closed loop

5 Likes

I agree. I think it’s worth slowing down and heating the columns and recovering via the top port. Thanks for calling me on that.
Not trying to be dangerous, I just haven’t run my system ever with a hot loop for recovery and had honestly overlooked it… :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

jacketed columns or heat wrap them to get that solvent back quicker

2 Likes

They are jacketed. My systems just been very small before and I’ve been upgrading parts and pieces lately to streamline it and to make it safer and have just overlooked that aspect completely…

The work space has been very well ventilated I will say, so I know I haven’t over looked the vapor coming from opening the system. I just overlooked the simple easy step of throwing hot water in the jackets and recovering properly.

2 Likes

Once we finish draining the columns we vent the nitrogen through a hose into ventilation system in the room, open valves on the bottom of the jacket to circulate hot water open vapor lines to collection pot and boom! Very little gas loss!

1 Like

It’s dirty from the machine oils. Smelled like bike chain lube or marvel mystery oil when we did 15lbs.

An inline bho cleaner would be awesome. Like a CRC but for clean tane.

8 Likes

That would be awesome. What’s a better quality brand? I recently bought 120lbs of this stuff. So I’ve got a ways to go before I can buy something cleaner.

Someone shd start a distilled tane business :grinning:

3 Likes

My next step is setting up a circulatory system with pumps/ sous vide and a 5 gallon cooler.

1 Like

The Sous vide is the best thing yet. Get 2 if you have a big recovery / collection vessel.

2 Likes

Definitely. I’m using 1 now, but only in a hot water bath,

Depending on size of column our 6inX36 columns Jackets hold about 9Gal each so make sure you’re sized properly, we use 5 gallon bucket heaters and ink bird thermostats to control the temp more power then the sous vides

1 Like

Ohh sorry thought we were talking solely about heating columns lol

1 Like

This is exactly why we perform certified 3-phase decontaminate cleanings and safety checks before EVERY refill on EVERY cylinder. The smell is the least of ur worries.

Give us a call, we will save you a ton of risk, time and money wasted distilling out that cancerous contaminate.

We invite all of our customers to come meet our techs and check out our cleaning facility and cleaning regimen.

Video here: 3 Phase Decontamination Cleaning™ By Solvent Direct - YouTube

Benzene from Butane cylinders: Butane cylinder contamination used in extraction - YouTube

Hit us up to learn more 1-833-pure-gas :pray::facepunch:

1 Like

Instrument grade gas IS distilled, the dirty tanks your supplier keeps refilling are likely NOT.

Unless your supplier has Certificates of Decontamination or proof of decontaminate processing.

Have you ever refilled the same coffee mug a few times without dumping it out between refills?

You get some sediment right?

So what would happen if the coffee had NON DETECTABLE cancer causing BENZENE naturally and it became detectable after a few refills without cleanings?

BENZENE IN LPG (butane, propane and isobutane)

Liquefied Petroleum Gas ( propane ) , in its original state, contains radon and benzene , chemicals “know to the State of California to cause cancer.” … The benzene and toluene are destroyed when Propane is burned. Radon does not burn but is released with the combustion by-products.

Source: Benzene - WHO Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality: Selected Pollutants - NCBI Bookshelf

BENZENE AND CANCER RISK

What is benzene?

Benzene is a colorless, flammable liquid with a sweet odor. It evaporates quickly when exposed to air. Benzene is formed from natural processes, such as volcanoes and forest fires, but most exposure to benzene results from human activities.

Benzene is among the 20 most widely used chemicals in the United States. It is used mainly as a starting material in making other chemicals, including plastics, lubricants, rubbers, dyes, detergents, drugs, and pesticides. In the past it was also commonly used as an industrial solvent (a substance that can dissolve or extract other substances) and as a gasoline additive, but these uses have been greatly reduced in recent decades.

Source: Benzene and Cancer Risk

BTEX (benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene) is present in natural gas streams and is being picked up in amine and glycol dehydration units, being present in the exit CO2 and Water streams. As a result, incineration temperatures need to be increased and hence the cost of compliance with EPA emission limits (25 Tons/year) is large. Specifically, in the presence of BTEX the appropriate temperature is 1500 °F, whereas when other organics (like methane) are present one can incinerate at 1350 °F.

Source: [PDF] BTEX Removal from Natural Gas Streams | Semantic Scholar

How do gas company’s remove BTEX contaminants from propane and butane?

Does anyone have a filter or method for removing BTEX from butane and propane? There are numerous water filters for benzene removal but I have not come across any methods for removal from gases or pressurized liquids. I tried a Donaldson clean LPG filter but after testing realized it filters down to half a micron and benzene is much much smaller than half a micron.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.researchgate.net/post/How_do_gas_companys_remove_BTEX_contaminants_from_propane_and_butane/amp

9 Likes

My one sous vide cannot keep up as is. Recovery’s been painful this past week. I’ll definitely be needing to spend some time making everything run smoother with my downtime. I don’t process very often. Maybe only 6 weeks a year. But I do value my time.

1 Like

Do you run heat around your dewaxer as well? Or just the material column? I would assume not as it defeats the purpose of the dewaxer. I don’t have jacketed material column. I guess I could use heating pads at a min.

Sorry of I’m derailing the thread. Fng :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Negative, we use “sleeved” type columns for dewaxing because I’m cheap and won’t buy a chill to do that job That dry ice can do well lol