butane is stuck please help!

as long as you arent actively heating the water you are using you should be fine. like fill up a bucket in the bath tub of the hottest water it will put out, take that outside and then start. if you are really sketched out you can grease the needle on the can tap to ensure easy puncture/proper seal. i wouldnt heat the cans before puncturing, but dipping in hot water will help alot to flush the cans into your tank. they recommend 80% on tanks, so your #25 should be around 19.5 ish, you could push it to 20lbs but i wouldnt just to be on the safe side. i used top mine off @ 19.5

3 Likes

Right on…well be safe and good luck on your run.,

1 Like

Using a closed column extractor attached to a recovery tank on dry ice is better IMO. No plastics or risk of plastics.

2 Likes

what does that even mean?>

i never stated anything about closed anything

This should be relatively easy…

I think @GroovyOctopusLabs thought you were using a closed loop cause you made a thread about one the other day and said you had purchased one.

Recovery tank buried in dry ice…under full vac…remove valve stem from tapper. tap cans into buried tank. Shoot 6 cans in at a time. Wait 10 mins for the gas to condense and repeat. Shouldnt take more than an hour to fill 25lbs. You will still need to distill this gas…

IF YOU DO HAVE A CLOSED LOOP: this process is much faster shooting into the collection tank…then recovering at 80F which now your gas is distilled too…Easy peasy.

you had a homie helping you pick out the closed loop parts…where is he now?? im sure if they can help pick out a system…they can help you with your initial extraction runs. No?

2 Likes

I guess i assumed he was running a closed loop also… i thought thats why he would fill a tank with cans…

1 Like

you said you were loading your “recovery” tank. suggesting a plan to “recover” your solvent. Which implies a “closed loop system”, so while you may never have said “closed” anything, those of us reading along at home certainly got those words.

I’m curious where the nitrogen is coming from? I suspect you mean “atmosphere”, which is pretty high in nitrogen…but it’s the O2 you need concerned with.

glad you figured out that to move the liquid, you need the hole in the can to be IN liquid, AND that your liquid (or gas) will move from high pressure to low pressure. Concerned that you started this endeavour without a firm grasp on either.

being concerned about removing the N2 (rather than O2) also suggests a potentially lethal lack of understanding.

10 Likes

I’m guessing he bought a #25lb yellow hvac tank. They come pre filled with nitrogen.

Still, reading your question made me a little nervous. I would be happy to walk you through a run on the phone or something. Sounds like you need a little more help before you’re in business. Just happy to keep someone safe

10 Likes

my bad for the confusion guys i changed my system to open loop apologies im running a complete system minus the base

1 Like

got my first run in everything went to plan but i did do the stupid butane can thing again but on the tank this time it started flowing into coumn for first three mins then stopped i sat there for 10 mins scratching my head then i took the tank off the ground outt of the cooler and i put it on my roof upside down then booooom my stuff started coming out

i had so much oil coming out the system i had to stop before i was done with my run because i had so much solvent

Thank you @midsfactory!!

There is a lot that can be learned from reading, but there is nothing quite like being mentored.

@Einstein: you might also check to see if there are classes on the subject in your neck of the woods.

I was on my second CLS when I attended @EloquentSolution’s hydrocarbon extraction class once upon a time. Mix was 50:50 noob vs “been doing this for a while”. Made some great contacts and learned some stuff. Well worth the price of admission.

4 Likes

Can we see this all? We all need to see what your doing :man_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

Tap your cans into the collection pot and recover active this will ensure u pulled all the gas and is safer. Pull it to a slight vacuum -5/-10 than pop a new. Another alternative is to just buy a supply tank from a gas distributor. Will save u a lot of time and headache in the future

3 Likes

ok ok but please not laugh

2 Likes

I am sure we want to :rofl::rofl::rofl:
But give him time hè ll get the hang of it

3 Likes

you said you were loading your “recovery” tank. suggesting a plan to “recover” your solvent. Which implies a “closed loop system”, so while you may never have said “closed” anything, those of us reading along at home certainly got those words.

-yes i said im loading my recovery tank this is correct term you just jump to conclusions i did not state anything incorrectly this item is called a recovery tank dont be trying to make me sound stupid

here is the name of the item purcahsed

you see its called a recovery tank dont imply things you know what the say about assumptions and please dont try to make me look dumb i said exactly what i said and if there is a better way to state it im all ears but your just being a dick

Refrigerant Recovery Reclaim Cylinder Tank - 30lb Pound 400 PSI NEW

1 Like

See there was your problem the whole time… you were using a recovery tank… you should be using a solvent tank tank instead… lol

3 Likes

oh no shit i had no clue whats the difference ?

oops

it worked great yesterday ??

what did i do wrong or can improve in witha solvent tank i will buy one soon

i thought this was what the guys used oops

also can you link me to one so i can see an example appreciated

2 Likes

You need that and the red handled solvent stretcher…

2 Likes