Butane Extractors! What needs to be automated?

The downtime on complex automation that can only be serviced by the mfg undoes labor savings real quick by shutting down production entirely.

How many down days of production equal a 50k employee

2 Likes

Once automation is complete and the logic is right, you should never have downtime if its built correctly. Automation in batch processing should utilize operator prompts as opposed to full automation. This done properly will have fail-safes that should incorporate a manual operator screen where you can by-pass the logic for basic function.

All depends how its designed and built, when done right, it will create efficiency in the process which in return will create consistency with the product.

8 Likes

Automation is best paired with endless material streams. Shut down/hard start is where failures occur, generally speaking.

4 Likes

Flushing cycle that would clear the whole system wouldn’t be hard; heated jackets and recovery pumps would be automated. Nitrogen at the very end to assure the clearing of the column.

You could have columns that are pre-filled with material on stand-by when one batch is done, switch the column, lock in place.

Then the hard start would be pressing a button that would allow the nitrogen to fill the column…

I can service a manual CLS

I cant change code, diagnose non standard pneumatic parts, fix the HMI, replace the specialty sensors.

show me an automated hydrocarbon extractor that doesn’t require these things to to operate and I’ll show you a succesful machine (hint: its not automated)

1 Like

Again, the system has to be engineered, designed, and tested properly.

An operator won’t have access to the programming nor should they… If changes or updates are needed, remote access is easy to do, we use to do it all the time.

I’ve installed hundreds of HMI’s and never had an issue with one. When dealing with hazardous location HMI’s, you’re dealing with Allen Bradley or Siemens, which are both excellent quality.

Full automation on small batch processing is silly. Automated controls with operator prompts is the best of both worlds. Being able to control and monitor your process from one screen is great…

How much experience do you have on equipment with controls?

8 Likes

Facts ^^^

Shutting a coal fired power plant down and starting it back up are the hardest parts for a reason.

1 Like

Let me know when someone has something like you are describing for sale.

2 Likes

I have such a thing.

pics?

2 Likes

Dm for email

just post some pics and specs here so i don’t have to email and post the findings

2 Likes

Who are you? I keep seeing you post these fluff questions and comments on old threads

4 Likes

MeatyDarkEidolonhelvum-max-1mb

Can we not make this an echo chamber thread.

5 Likes

Got any pictures, cut sheets or specs on said equipment?

2 Likes

Send me an email. Are you with illuminated extractors?

Why can’t you share any info about what you offer in the automation realm?

There are a lot of people that will read this thread and will NOT email you to see if you even have something you claim to have. Just share it with the class and the email will follow if what you have to offer is worth anyone’s time.

5 Likes

Nope, I’m not with a company anymore.

Some guesses, from most charitable to least:

1. Erik has no desire get involved in the standard f4.2k oeuvre.
  2. Standard “I need an NDA before I can discuss features or pricing or even the existence of features or pricing” sales tactics that are so well regarded here.
  3. Has nothing of use/value to share with the class.
  4. Is a scammer.

Seeing as kontrolwerks.com appears to not have an active web presence nor any mentions anywhere on the internet and was registered less than a month ago, I’m going to place my bet on somewhere in the bottom half of the above list.

2 Likes