Butane Contaminant Demystified

How many people actually follow this though

I bet more don’t then do

5 Likes

This is butane extraction, I need my dirty coffee cup available at all times…

Our Willie passed away today,
His face we’ll see no more;
What Willie thought was H2O,
Proved H2SO4.

Hadst though but given Willie boy
Na HCO3,
NH3 Ca(HO)2,
He’d still have been with thee.

“Twa better thus,” Will’s spirit cried;
“No NH3 for me.
When vitriol gets in one’s inside,
The stomach goes, you see.”

E’en though the stomach’s gone,
We know—since Schlatter showed the way—
His ileum and oesophagus might
Have served for many a day.

But th’ oesophagus, too, is always charred
By H2SO4.
And so our antidotes are barred
And death has closed the door.

11 Likes

Linking OSHA and safety 101 after posting that half assed SOP?

I agree, and I hope the story about the guy getting a mouthful of acetonitrile serves as a wake-up call.

Our rule is beverages stay outside the room. We have a little cart in the hallway where employees can leave their drinks (water only). That way, they don’t waste time walking to the kitchen to get their beverage. And under CRA rules, you’re not supposed to have food or drink in grow rooms, either.

EDIT:
I never claimed Dr. Choi’s EtOH base bath procedure was an SOP. I wrote it was a “mixing procedure.” Note, however, that it contains basic PPE directions. I did, however, refer to the other upload from Dr. Choi (Iso base bath) as a “full SOP.” And to ensure that’s more apparent to anyone reading, I edited my post with bold and italics.

Blocked.

3 Likes

Was referencing the Dr. Choi SOP you linked? I said after you POSTED that half ass sop not WROTE. SMH my head. The fact you have to post an osha ruling on not having food/drinks in a lab but don’t feel the need to take down that shit dr choi SOP you originally posted is mind boggling.

didnt u do this 3 times already :laughing: , you’re just upset over criticism. The same you’ve dished out to Dr. Choi the only exception is i tried telling you how uneducated some of the community is and you still felt the need to share things. After several other comments agreeing and verifying what i claimed you still were mad at me for saying things like posting that is risky…

You find posting OSHA rulings about not bringing food and water into a lab to be relevant. But not keeping something so caustic private the amount of Irony hurts. DOnt drink water i nthe lab guys, also heres a recipe that can severly harm people who dont follow lab procedures… like idk drinking water in the lab :weary: lol. smh my head

All hail ralf the man who can criticize others but not be criticized himself. I heard he doesnt bleed blood either.

Peepee measuring is always fun and educational

4 Likes

This is my water drinking bottle…… it does however stay at my desk and not in a lab room or more importantly the analytical room.

10 Likes

OSHA approved

2 Likes

Id be lying if i said i never had several water bottles/snacks with me in any of the labs i worked in(probly daily), but considering there was no testing/crazy catalysts around(just the usual butane/ethanol/water tinctures edible prod stuff.) The only risk i had accidently drinking something(that was clearly a diff color and never put in a water bottle) were the times i mistakenly drank nano infused water, or ate the wrong snack that was laced with thc :face_with_thermometer:

1 Like

THAT is exactly right, @thesk8nmidget @cyclopath @Akoyeh @Dukejohnson @SafeLeaf.ca @johnbigoilco @Graywolf @Sidco_Cat @Dred_pirate @anon88836658 and EVERYONE…
The entire purpose of using adsorbent MEDIA is CONTROLLING YOUR OUTPUTS!

YES, water washing works great on the butane solvent for complete removal of these problematic polar impurities, methanol & diethanolamine… Then, prior to using the washed butane as extraction solvent, it must be dehydrated using adsorbent media to remove said wash water. This is great for all facilities who wish to go back to using all their old BHO product SOP again… So long as they can afford to buy or build SAFE butane washing systems, or to buy pre-washed solvent.
It MUST be adamantly expressed, of course, that a direct water wash of such a highly volatile non-polar solvent at room temperature is NOT WITHOUT its unique HAZARDS; some HIDDEN without meticulous attention to all variables and their interactions!

Regardless, my point is that water washing and drying is simply reverting the butane solvent back to the same old properties it had in our applications a few years ago. Totally sweet! However, many producers have since ADAPTED to the new solvent properties in various and often ingenious ways, in order to keep their businesses open, equipment operating, and employees on payroll!
Yet others are actually THRIVING with these apparently ⁂innocuous⁂ butane impurities… This change in the solvent has been recognized as opportune enhancement of the BHO product array, production rates, and even yields!

⁂ “Innocuous” means “non-toxic” or “harmless”. Here, I mean the impurities have demonstrably had NO deleterious effects, impact or consequences for the health and safety of BHO product consumers. Specifically, this is due to the fact that the impurities remain in the butane solvent during its recovery and/or they are automatically removed from products by normal solvent purge and other standard finishing procedures.

I want everyone to REMEMBER: Our community’s research and development of a dry, solid adsorbent media system, initially as an emergency stop-gap for the “medusa/fast-crash problem” has opened EVERY DOOR, thus far!

1st, media demonstrated the existence of TWO distinct problems AND then their TWO corollary impurities!

2nd, media were used to adsorb, concentrate and elucidate the IDentities of the impurities!

3rd, media are still the safest method (and least expensive, especially for smaller scale producers) to control & mitigate the impurities!

NOW, Carbon Chemistry and I are very close to releasing advanced adsorbent media to afford BHO producers COMPLETE CONTROL over the medusa/fast-crash impurities or “MFCis”. Not only can we now completely ELIMINATE the Mi and/or FCi using simple media filtration (i.e. without involving water), I am deriving means to easily TUNE the SOLVENT to IMPROVE PRODUCTION with these new media!*

I feel the following quote from one of my favorite newer anime is most apropos…

“Get Excited.”
–Senku Ishigami
(aka, “Dr. Stone”)

Let’s go ahead and close the door on Medusa… but why not peek behind the curtain and look out the newly petrification-resistant tinted window while we’re at it? :sunglasses:

22 Likes

13x actually works better with higher residency time, if you just pass by the beads its much less effective.

8 Likes

@Photon_noir Kool, the fish trap exists only because of the fish. As long as we end up with the fish, the design of the trap is optional and open, with extra points for simple and economical.

When do you/CC expect to release your advanced adsorbent media, “closing the door” on Medusa?

Will you be processing liquid or vapor, can your media be regenerated, and do ya’ll have estimates of the cost to treat a pound of LPG?

7 Likes

Opportunity comes in many guises, and seemingly we learned how to induce fast crash, for those whose process actually benefitted from Medusa.

Whether or not water wash is the answer to a maiden’s prayers controlling Medusa, leave us not forget the promise it also holds for stripping terpenes from recovered LPG.

Regardless of the method, there is opportunity in supplying both media and equipment, so hope ya’ll in that line of work are paying attention and giving it creative thought.

5 Likes

What residency time do you recommend? Are you processing liquid or vapor?

4 Likes

Not singling anyone out, but I want to say that several posts here contain what I believe is an erroneous rationale for this shared negative opinion about SolventDirect, Carbon Chemistry, @SolventDirect_BigM, @Sidco_Cat, and now probably me, by association.

Therefore, it is with humility and sincerity that I invite @Swet254k @Killa12345 @standardoil @Dred_pirate @Waxplug1 and all of you, my comrades, to please read the following carefully…

Regarding this set of generalized instructions (aka “SOP” by the community vernacular) on using media to adsorb impurities from butane solvent for the purpose of mitigating Medusa/Fast-Crash issues:

A. It originates from an on-the-spot, verbal account of my knowledge on the subject. The document was thereby derived from my working hypothesis (at perhaps a week after the last one I posted here on the forum a few hours after it coalesced in my Medusa Telegram chat responses), pooled with my own research and experimental observations, percolated through my interpretations of anecdotes shared by my colleagues in and apart from this community, and prompted by Cat’s inquiry to me on a balmy night of conversation under the patio ramada at the airbnb I shared with her, Melissa, Nigel, Erich, et al. for the Cannabis Science Conference in Long Beach, this year.

B. The writing was created by @Sidco_Cat from her mental notes of that conversation as a piece of friendly advice to the people she saw who needed it. The document was only cursorily reviewed, then hastily approved for release in an effort to get the information to people as quickly as she could.

C. It was informally published without copyright by Carbon Chemistry (one of the companies for whom I ⁂work) to be distributed as a FREE and simple guide to use activated alumina and 13X (10Å) molecular sieve (which, of course, they sell) as a remedy for the MS/FC butane issues faced by BHO producers, some of Carbon Chemistry’s product users. To be perfectly clear: This document was ONLY ever intended to be a piece of relatively informal marketing collateral based on common community advice… NOT proprietary “SOP”… NOT sold for money… and certainly NOT as the end-all be-all solution to the problem! NOBODY associated with it has ever believed or claimed otherwise, to my knowledge. (…and not only for the fact that I would swiftly correct their misunderstanding if I DID know!).

D. Several folks on this forum, including me, had already posted about using these very same media for this purpose by the time it was released. The information was freely shared and never required or even used any proprietary ingredients or equipment. OF COURSE Carbon Chemistry and their associates included it with some promotional sales! That’s their business and completely within their rights to do. Also, I’m telling you all, here and now, as one of its originators, that anyone else who wishes to use it in such manner MAY, and with my blessing!

… … …
⁂Work, to me, means ONLY that I provide my knowledge, share my ideas and exercise my skills in return for a living income.
Work does NOT mean that anyone but ME possesses or controls my body, my words, my thoughts or my personality, my senses of honor, empathy, love or integrity, my meticulous scientific rigor, my will or my soul in ANY present measure nor any potential capacity, whatsoever.
Summarily (even if—apologetically—almost never succinctly), I am and will ever choose to be this self, for Myself and for You.

13 Likes

Are you working with carbon chemistry now too?

2 Likes

Absolutely agreed, Sir @Graywolf! In answer to your questions, I can say this:

First, as my last sentence was intended to imply and you appear to concur, not everyone wants to “shut the door on Medusa”… certainly not completely. As you say, “Opportunity comes in many guises”!

I want to say official release will come within the next month or two. I’d like to finish our collaborative discussions, among other things, my friend. However, for the more trustworthy and intrepid souls among us, I DO extend an offer of samples and advice in return for your replicate data!

I advise liquid for simplicity, but vapor is almost as facile to apply.

Yes, it is regenerable media. Nearly ALL media is, if one knows how… but these media use some of the more straightforward methods.

I will say some of these media are higher cost than the usual zeolites and other “magic dirt”, but I do not have an estimate of cost per pound of LPG… mainly because we haven’t found a limit, yet, to the number of times the media can be reused!

I appreciate your questions! :grinning:

6 Likes

Yeah… I have been for a little over half a year, officially… and since the beginning (2017) or earlier, as an unpaid advisor and product tester. If that changes anyone’s opinion of me or my approach to the science and reporting, then they don’t truly know, trust or haven’t been reading me.

11 Likes

I love you Dillon. You’re always welcome on my planet. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes