Butane Contaminant Demystified

No idea. I’d say anything slower than just passing it through liquid phase and then right into pump or distillation is best. Liquid phase only! You can distill but you better make sure the contaminate is gone or it just co-distills.

6 Likes

Would batch processing be better? IE; Soaking the media in a container of LPG?

Then draining off the liquid and heating the tank of media under vacuum to regenerate it…?

4 Likes

Yes I believe so, yes and yes?

4" TC column with a .1 micron plate to stall it enough to get more residency?

2 Likes

That doesn’t slow it down as much as you’d think. That silly union that media bros has with the small hole will work

6 Likes

I will hook any order or sample up with a silly union aka flow controller just ask :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Any blinding problems with 4" X 0.1 micron plate?

1 Like

Warmth, slow pull?

How about mol sieve dust?

Sounds tasty, sir. Lets try it.

Wondered about AC

Ummmm, I was referring to the fine dust mol sieve gives off with regeneration and handling and wondering about blinding. Should we protect the plate with DE?

6 Likes

Yes, was being sarcastic. my apologies. I wont do that again

1 Like

Thanks for the insight brother! When do you estimate that samples would be available for testing and in what form?

On the Vici Metronics front, my contact Isaac is just coming back to work from Covid and catching up, but he committed to returning to our project middle of next week. We currently have Duke Johnson and Dred Pirate set up to test them for efficacy against known problematic LPG.

Four LPG suppliers offering support, but still trying to solidify cartridge and LPG testing labs, but alas while close, it remains elusive due to Covid, et al.

4 Likes

Ostensibly we could control the flow with an orifice or metering valve, without blinding issues if we were using a flow through system.

In a batch system the media and LPG would soak for N minutes and then be simply drained off, so there would be no column or metering, just timing.

5 Likes

I’ll let you know as soon as we have the media to spare, @Graywolf ! It would be loose media, so you or anyone can pack whatever cartridges or tubes you like with it.

3 Likes

@moronnabis shared this with me. CO2 supply found to be contaminated with hydrocarbons. Bet those Apeks terps hitting better than ever :joy:

One a serious note, pretty crazy seeing an extremely established part of society suffering from contaminated gas.

16 Likes

I accidentally found a useful tidbit: GC of Amines sparkman2011.pdf (256.7 KB)

Specifically…

11.5 Amino Alcohols (Aliphatic)

A. GC separation of underivatized amino alcohols

1. Monoethanolamine, diethanolamine, triethanolamine, and impurities: 30-m, 1.0-µm Rtx-35 (Restek) column, 40 (2 minutes) 0–250 °C at 6 °C min−1 (hold 15 minutes).
  2. 1-Amino-2-propanol, 3-amino-1-propanol, 2-amino-2-methyl-1-propanol, and similar compounds: 25-m CP-WAX-51 column or CP-WAX column for amines, 50–210 °C at 5 °C min−1.

B. GC separation of derivatized amino alcohols

1. 30-m DB-1701 column, 45 (10 minutes) 250 °C at 10 °C min−1.

C. Mass spectra of amino alcohols

In the mass spectra of aliphatic amino alcohols, the peak at m/z 30 is intense, whereas the peak at m/z 31 has a low intensity. The amino group dominates the fragmentation, making it difficult to recognize the alcohol group. If only an m/z 30 peak is found in the mass spectrum of an unknown, it does not mean that no alcohol group is present. Sometimes the peak at m/z 31 due to the presence of an alcohol moiety can be mistaken for the 13C isotope peak relative to the peak at m/z 30. The presence of a distinguishable peak at m/z 31 suggests the presence of a terminal alcohol group. The mass spectra of these compounds usually do not exhibit an M+• peak of a reasonable or even discernible intensity.

To identify the presence of an amino alcohol, use the following procedure. Prepare a TMS derivative of the unknown using MSTFA reagent and obtain a mass spectrum of the resulting TMS derivative. Prepare a second TMS derivative of the unknown using TRI-Sil Z reagent. When the molecular weight of the unknown increases by 144 mass units using MSTFA reagent and the TMS derivative using TRI-Sil Z reagent only increases the molecular weight by 72 mass units, this suggests the presence of both an amino group and a hydroxyl group in the unknown—TRI-Sil Z reagent silylates alcohols and carboxy hydroxyl groups but not amino groups.

A method to determine the number of amino groups present in the molecule requires the formation of a TMS derivative with MSTFA which silylates both hydroxyl and amino groups [3]. First, obtain a mass spectrum of the unknown using GC/MS. Next, add MBTFA reagent to the previously prepared TMS reaction mixture and let stand approximately 30 minutes. Obtain a mass spectrum of the resulting reaction product. A trifluoroacetyl group will replace each TMS group on primary and secondary amino groups because the amino-TMS group is less stable. From the mass differences obtained before and after the reaction with MBTFA (24 for each amino group), the number of amino groups present can be determined.

4 Likes

Please see DM, @Graywolf :nerd_face:

1 Like

:pray::pray::pray: thanks

1 Like

@Dukejohnson One guesses they get their CO2 sequestered at the hydrocarbon refineries… which is also one of the original compounds at fault for our issues from the hydrocarbon refineries. Seems someone made some inferior assumptions about the chemistry of the petroleum reserves and/or erroneous calculations in the physics of existing systems that had far-reaching implications in the (waste)product flows! :exploding_head:

4 Likes

John Raquet, the Chairman and Founder of Gas World, a leading news outlet covering the gas industry, says the dome is still producing CO2, but has elevated levels of other hydrocarbons that do not meet food and beverage standards for use.

maybe it was John who told the Oregon Legislature CO2 was a hydrocarbon…

12 Likes