Butane Contaminant Demystified

Do we need a cleaning thread? :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

4200 wakes up to the concept of molecular cleanliness?
WTFamine is going onā€¦???

Buy yourself a baking oven with self-cleaning cycleā€¦load with
Metalā€¦glassā€¦ceramicā€¦(no plastic)
Push the cleaning cycle buttonā€¦wait 4 hrsā€¦bingoā€¦elemental carbonā€¦ashā€¦poof.
Rinse ash out with 18 MegOhm waterā€¦ if necessary.
you canā€™t get ā€œcleanā€ washing with soap, detergentā€¦or rinsing with impure organicsā€¦ if your ethanol came in a white plastic or metal barrelā€¦it is not clean.
Amino acids ā€œrain inā€ from spaceā€¦ocean breezes have ā€œ all things livingā€ā€¦micron level. Youā€™re breathing Chinese DNA . You think you have to be a BHO producer
At at 1000kg/diem to know that shit comes in Butane tanks?ā€¦I mean all sorts of shit.
You think a supplier has any idea how to clean his lines or the tanks you getā€¦and not leave contaminants behind.
answer one question:
Do 4200 Butane extractors know what they are doing?

8 Likes

Just use soap and water and girl power and it fixes everything

3 Likes

I used to sell Depyrogenation ovens ( A depyrogenation oven is a piece of equipment used in the pharmaceutical and biotech industry to sterilize contaminated items by means of dry heat at a specific temperature (typically 260Ā°C ā€“ 300Ā°C) for a controlled duration) and have been wondering when cannabis labs would catch on to this second step in cleaning glassware.

8 Likes

Self cleaning ovens run at 800F or so.
I introduced UDOXI to this method back in 2016ā€¦
They loved itā€¦but bear in mind it is best to use Pyrex style glass.

This is pyrolysis of organicsā€¦the oven fans circulate the atmospheric O2
It may also alter the molecular structure of the 304 stainless (rust all)

This information is out there hoping others go and replicate the results. I am limited on what I can disclose due to a legal dispute.
Other labs have indeed found methanol in their gas and others are ordering DEA to replicate the results Iā€™ve seen.

No pictures but I know if at least three different projects of people making similar filters that will be for sale soon.

The entrained residue was obtained by opening up the filtration vessel made. I think it was a 2 bolt triclamp that was undone and the lid taken off exposing the filter media.

Butane came from suppliers tank then flowed through the filter then into my collection where it was distilled back to my main solvent tank.

This post was not meant to say it has been all figured out. Far from it. In fact it has lead to far more questions than answers.

Big shout out to @moronnabis for forcefully spoon-feeding me this for the last year pretty much. Essentially we donā€™t know wtf we are even extracting let alone being able to spell out to the gas companies what ppm/ppb range is acceptable for every thing that could possibly be in their stream that could effect us. Itā€™s easy to get mad at this situation. Mad at solvent direct, mad at me, mad at fucking anyone any everyone. The reality is this.

We are at the infancy of a massive market. When I was young a read Atlas Shrugged and though if only I could have been alive during this time of industry, steel and railroads, I would have so much opportunity. Well ladies and gentlemen we are at the emergence of cannabis taking over. Textiles, extracts, medicine, construction material, flavorings, things are changing quick and if you think the industry is dying make way. What we do is such a small fraction of largely unstudied field we are blind as fuck to what we do every day. The theory is such.

THCa exist is many forms. The theory of the amine salting THCa out I donā€™t believe holds weight. But it does work. Order it for yourself and see. What @moronnabis has been trying to tell us is that THCa exists in many forms. The way it comes out in our extract is up to things we donā€™t control because we donā€™t control it. Ever notice a layer of thin sugar show up in a jar then normal diamonds grow on top. Well thanks to @moronnabis I believe I am now starting to understand a bit more of what is going on. THCa being a carbolic acid it behaves different in solutions of different polarity. Not only that it can, under the right conditions can form entire networks of supermolecular structures.It is also extremely pH/pka dependant. I canā€™t offer a complete picture in fact quite the opposite. What I can offer is an understanding that currently comes with it far more questions than answers.

15 Likes

Finallyā€¦a note from mom.

4 Likes

It was so lovely to meet you in Eugene! <3

2 Likes

My pleasureā€¦@sidco
You have what might be ā€œin some regardsā€ referred to as a ā€œCREWā€ā€¦
A good one indeed. Thank you.

from a Vegas point of view I would estimate the known unknowns/ knowns
Ratio at some where between 10/1 to 50/1.

So if everyone accepts the criticismā€¦as rationale steps forwardā€¦
Everyone moves into the unknowns a little faster.

Does anyone know where one can buy lemon seeds?

4 Likes

Keep in mind, for folks reading this thread, this guy thinks he works with folks that have an enforceable patent on butane extraction.

1 Like

He is far from who you think he is. Heā€™s very close to the age of gray wolf. I met him in Eugene, heā€™s quite a wonderful person and I am absolutely glad to meet him

12 Likes

100% this

4 Likes

ā€œButane methodā€ā€¦did haveā€¦they sold it.

1 Like

Approach @moronnabis with the respect you would photon, Graywolf or any other pioneers if you have any respect for what I have put forward. In my first interactions with him he frustrated me because he would put forth expected steps that no one did and no one had ever talked about. Honestly, I even wrote several frustrated messages to him that I ended up deleting after I thought more and more. In the end, every bit of frustration I felt I genuinely feel guilty for.

Literally the only thing he isnt extremely knowledgeable in is dumbing his message down to something easily understood by us. That could be very well be because the message he sends is so outlandish. Telling someone who bangs out sexy facets they donā€™t know what they are doing or even crystallising is a pretty crazy message and hard to articulate any way other than offensive. Like I said, a hell of a lot more to learn than we currently know, especially pertaining to the unique aspects of carbolic acids, which we all seem especially interested in.

If you are not searching the posts this guy has made and forefully digesting it to level the fuck up you are crazy and missing out on a huge part of the understanding that is why I can bang out boulders fast af. And @moronnabis Vegas odds I would take my own unknowns to knowns on crystallising of thca at 1000+:1 in a heartbeat. Check back in a few years I may be able to break that ratio :joy:

18 Likes

Maybe most. Certainly not ALL.

I personally went and replicated the ā€œthere is methanol in our gas?!?ā€ā€¦and posted the chromatogram within 24hrs of @Dukejohnsonā€™s initial report.

Because youā€™re absolutely correct: if it canā€™t be REPLICATED it isnt scienceā€¦

Much easier to ID an ā€œunknownā€ if some other bugger gives you a clue where to lookā€¦

Iā€™m working on obtaining a diethanolamine standard.

All I have is a GC fid, GC MS/MS would be more convincing.

I have convinced our third party lab to dig deeper into a dozen or so of our samplesā€¦.now Iā€™ve got to figure out which ones I want them to look at.

In my case we obtained tedlar sample bags, and added a sampling port to the system.

Samples are taken before loading gas into system, and/or from the working solvent IN the system.

I set this up (and documented it here for the rest of the class) BEFORE we started having fast crash issues.

Mainly to watch our solvent blendā€¦

Do you have any analytics?

14 Likes

At first I thought you were under NDA, but this sounds different.

Can you explain any further whatā€™s going on? Are you under an NDA?

Iā€™m assuming this is why we havenā€™t heard from Rami, is that correct?

Can you at least tell us anything about Ramiā€™s qualifications? Does he specialize in collecting and analyzing LPG samples?

If I know the cannabis industry, Iā€™d bet people are jockeying behind the scenes to try and get the money for selling the solution before the problem is properly identified.

This is interesting, can you elaborate? What changed your thinking?

This is why I get so annoyed with people heaping on the praise and adulation right away instead of thinking critically. Especially with no real proof being presented and results not being replicated by an outside source.

Not that you shouldnā€™t receive any praise or recognition for the work youā€™re doing, you should, but itā€™s far from a ā€œring the bell, weā€™ve got it all figured outā€ moment. And again, Iā€™m not saying youā€™re wrong.

This is kinda like the opaline silica thing.

I was wondering about this because methanol, with a BP of 148.5Ā°F (64.7Ā°C) would be mostly left behind in the collection pot after a clean-up distillation.

At the very least, as a batch of solvent is used over and over to make oil the effect should diminish as more of the methanol is removed with each successive batch.

What do you think about that?

I have nothing official.

Anecdotally I can say I have received test results before (a few years ago) with trace amounts of methanol and acetone. I mentioned to the lab that I donā€™t use either chemical and they said some BS like ā€œoh yea the plant can produce acetone on its ownā€. They did a retest and what do you know? No methanol and no acetone on the retest.

I have never intentionally made diamonds but I have made plenty of live resin that just naturally formed diamonds on itā€™s own and I have never had the medusa problem. I havenā€™t made any diamonds recently though so donā€™t take that too seriously.

im surprised no one has named this phenomenon by its real name yet.

what yall are dealing with is the formation of a ā€œpolycrystalline aggregateā€

this search term should yield some useful reading for better understanding the phenomenon.

seems the basic premise is understood tho, a water soluble contaminate is is acting like an antisolvent and forcing precipitation. Rapid precipitation causes a ton of nucleation points to form, the crystals growth is so quick that grain boundaries are formed between different crystal in different spatial orientations and that in turn disrupts the growth of larger structured lattices, hence them being brittle and powdery.

actually some pretty cool chemistry. havent been following this super close as im not a hydrocarbon guy, fascinating tho forusre.

28 Likes

awww shit we got @RockSteady in the hydrocarbon thread! diving down the rabbit hole now even further.

1 Like

Itā€™s called spicy butane, sir. Iā€™d appreciate it if you could get it correct. Ha ha.

Well, I get to focus on something new. Thank you, sir.

Iā€™ll message you on IG and show you what Iā€™ve been working on

12 Likes

Within the Merox treating process, when temps fluctuate in the reboiler or in the reflux, the surface tension of MeOH and DEA or MDEA changes in relation to their respective ratios, and can increase or decrease surface tension based on temp, which in my mind relates to how miscible it is.

Investigation of surface tension and viscosity for aqueous solutions of MEA-MeOH and DEA-MeOH.pdf (1.3 MB)
Surface Tension of Nā€‘Methyldiethanolamine in Methanol.pdf (1.3 MB)

1 Like