Butane Contaminant Demystified

Looks like Cannasafe reports methanol at 149/497 vs 14.9/50 for ethanol (LOD/LOQ). I’m not anayltical chem, but it looks like they’re… 10 time more sensitive for ethanol, which seems bizarre considering the obvious toxicity of methanol

Offtopic, does anyone have any strong opinions about Cannasafe?

2 Likes

So it wasn’t our dirty labs causing this? I’ve been scrubbing for weeks trying to remediate it.

25 Likes

Ha! :joy: I can get that joke with the recently explained context from @anon88836658!

7 Likes

I mean I heard a theory that soap residue causes medusa… lol :wink:

That lady is something else. We’ll leave her name unsaid so it’s an attack on technique, not on someone specific.

12 Likes

I do not recall Cannasafe in particular out of all the problematic cannalysis labs… But the LOD/LOQ of an instrument is based on both its detector AND also the method, supplies/parameters, skill of operator, and techniques employed. You’re right that methanol should have a lower LOD/LOQ, but it appears they don’t know how to make that happen.

2 Likes

Sadly a lot of labs just set their LOD and LOQ
to match the state’s current laws.

You need to ask and pay for it if you want a lower LOD/LOQ.

10 Likes

@Photon_noir and @hambread Rami is going to send me answers to your specific questions. Like I said about the data it is going to be just a little behind but will come.

Rami made a reactor that we passed the gas through. What was remarkable is I can smell “butane” extremely well. I’ve sniffed out many leaks before my gas detector. Rami’s remediation reactor filter he made that we passed the butane through was able to not only fix the issue but the butane that came out had absolutely no detectible odor whatsoever. It really blew my mind. He is building be a permanent fixture I’ll be able to clean my gas with and I believe other people will be getting some as well once we have confirmed specifics about the SOP for consistently fixing butane inline.

29 Likes

:exploding_head: but…it always smells

16 Likes

I know, I was flabbergasted
Truly
Less smell than the research grade tank I got which also had noticably less odor than I’m accustomed to.
Really no smell detectable what so ever.
What the fuck are we smelling!?

21 Likes

wut… There is absolutely NO reason to pay MORE for a lab with capable instrumentation to accurately detect or calculate a value that is arbitrarily occluded like that, @thesk8nmidget! An absolute baseline of the method sensitivity should exist in the control software, without ANY of the adjustments calculated in the acquisition! It’s as simple as running a typical calibration set… NO BS “data massage” required!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

Thank you all for the data you guys put together. However I’m trying to understand this and not trolling at all. I have questions too.

So the culprit is a ppm/ppb amount of methanol in a 100lb solvent tank that made it past all the biomass and adsorbents enough to contaminate every thca molecule causing Medusa?

If I add one drop of methanol to clean butane, it will Medusa?

If alumina/mol sieve beads was removing it before, why is the methanol sticking to the alumina?

11 Likes

I LOVE you guys, @Dukejohnson! I’d be devastated if, after all this good you guys have done for the community, I see him overextend himself or his budget on a system that could be much simpler and less costly! Please let me observe and offer any assistance I can! :pray:

8 Likes

The culprit for the fast crash is the amines, specifically it seems diethylolamine is the main culprit. It in very small amounts as explained by @Photon_noir can salt out thca and then go back into solution to go grab more thca so a tiny amount can cause a big problem. The Diethanolamine is used to clean up the methanol. They add way too much though and it seems the amines can’t clean it all up and some come along for the ride. The Medusa diamonds that chalk out grow fast and look strange shapes are from the methanol.

26 Likes

It is also worth adding we wouldn’t have been able to figure this out had it not been for @ricky9900 balls of steel figuring out his butane water wash tech. That was a big clue that helped in knowing what to target with the filter media. Also the countless hours talking about this with many many people. @moronnabis for constantly pushing me to expand my understanding. @GasGuy-QEG for his long time experience and insight into the industry and his open and transparent desire to see an answer to this. @johnbigoilco @Dred_pirate the og Medusa crew back when everyone thought we were just crazy and couldn’t make diamonds all of the sudden. @johnbigoilco and his extractor @Ahay5280 coming in with that positive methanol test on their Medusa diamonds was klutch timing. Many people went into figuring this out, @Photon_noir with the amine call out from years ago. It really was a massive process that took so many pieces falling into place I am honored to be able to be the messenger for this find and many of you made this possible.

58 Likes

Are you saying Rami is gonna offer his remediation reactor filter for sale?
I am def interested if so. This fast crash is killing me slowly

8 Likes

Fantastic question… From my shitty discount test results, I’m betting it’s low PPM, high PPB range.

It feels like we are approaching a conclusion… slowly.

2 Likes

Most interesting, indeed @Dukejohnson! I can see how the MeOH & DEtOHA (this was my original suspect for wtfamine, if you recall from Telegram) would interplay to create the two different phenomena! For example, if the diethanolamine*THCa adjunct makes a salt that precipitates and crystallizes, the methanol could dissolve into (at least the surface layers of) the crystal, redissolving the amine and leaving the surface porous and WHITE!

16 Likes

The range of methanol depending on the gas stream tested was from 100-1000ish ppm

11 Likes

You need help building a column to filter a Hydrocarbon gas…

Take a CRC style column and fill it with the appropriate adsorbant to filter your contaminate, before injecting into your columns. :man_shrugging:t5:

Even better, filter it while you distill your solvent to remove ‘mystery’ oils from bulk tanks to your operating tanks…
Gas phase or liquid phase. Gas phase will/should allow for a tighter filteration of the molecules/contaminates in question.

Testing this in 3 weeks for a client of mine.

Not sure of loading capacity for the said adsorbant, but I will know after a few weeks of my client testing the methods!
Pretty sure you don’t need 13x beads.

3 Likes

Nice, let’s give credit and explain the method from the horses mouth! Photon noir has recommended a mix of Alumicel A (acid activated) and 10 angstrom beads.

Sounds like you’re riding some coattails for that consultation, so I’d pass the credit upstream, I were you.

Even better, filter it while you distill your solvent to remove ‘mystery’ oils from bulk tanks to your operating tanks…

Are you claiming activated alumina removes mystery oils. Because it sure sounds like you’re making that claim?

2 Likes