Butane Contaminant Demystified

I’m not claiming anything lol.

Open sourcing information for anyone to test.

These parts cost less than $800 total from somewhere like BVV, test it for yourself if you have a CLS and bulk tank available.

I didn’t name an adsorbant, no one has mentioned the adsorbant I am testing.

Honestly kinda funny no one has tried the adsorbant I am thinking will work perfectly.

We can likely regenerate this adsorbant as well in an oven, with proper temps. You would want to ventilate it to exhaust the fumes though.

2 Likes

thank you!!

ticks all the boxes too…

at what levels? because I should (have) be(en) able to see methanol in headspace via GCFID. Never occurred to me to inject methanol as a standard…but I do have one on hand and a method that gives me good separation from ethanol and isopropanol.

guess I know what I’m doing tomorrow.

edit: really should learn to )*@#_)($+$)@)# read…

:thinking:

13 Likes

@cyclopath You read just fine! It’s hard to catch up with a fast growing subject like this. It will be especially helpful to know the results differentiating gas cleaned with the resin from fresh gas… That would give us more definitive proof of which contaminant causes which phenomenon, or if the phenoms are ALWAYS results of their interplay!

7 Likes

I thought maybe he would offer a disposable filter with the absorbent in it since nobody will say exactly what is used. I have used 11X but passing through in liquid phase and that doesn’t fix the problem

1 Like

ok.

should learn to read to the end of the thread before jumping in with both feet in my mouth.

…but what fun would that be?

7 Likes

I suppose that depends on your flexibility, as well as the flavor of your feet… and perhaps the height in the thread from whence you jump?

EDIT: I just answered another rhetorical question, didn’t I? :man_facepalming:
You think YOU aren’t reading, eh? Try reading, comprehending, and STILL replying to it wrong!

12 Likes

Dude they sell it at whole foods.
Everyone on here is really over thinking this lol.
Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Lots of adsorbants that can fix contaminate issues.

1 Like

This is my favorite activity

Straight to soap and foot in mouth.

1 Like

@photon_noir why acid activated over basic?

5 Likes

Good question @pdxcanna ! The alkaline nature of the amines in question is our target! While basic activated alumina can work, it is not as strongly functionalized to bind the amines to its surface as it is with an acid-activated surface! Alumina is beautifully amphoteric and pH-malleable!

In those descriptions, they are writing about chromatographic adsorption NOT remedial adsorption (aka: sequestration)! Make sense? Separation and sequestration are defined by different binding strengths of the adsorbents.

27 Likes

Duke’s my guy, only dude at the trade show in flip flops (in the winter time haha). God love ya, kudos.

I can sleep now!

10 Likes

:roll_eyes:

You guys, just figured this out?

And it’s news to people to prefilter/post filter/distill solvent with alumina and molecular sieves?

Good job guys. Welcome to 2022.

what is the summary as far as ME buying tane? I think ill make shatter.

2 Likes

Like the soy sauce

6 Likes

Problem is what you described doesn’t completely consistently fix it unless you have something other than 13x/10a and aa. If that has worked for you good for you but I see it despite those remediation techniques even if they do help. I don’t want something that helps I want it fixed completely.

12 Likes

Ayyy the solution is right in front of everyone but they are making this seem like a harder issue than it is :sweat_smile::joy:

Solution for what? Methanol, diethylomaine or both? Are you implying you knew the gas was contaminated with diethylomaine and methanol and you have already found a remediation techniques they sell at whole foods that will completely remediate my gas of both contaminants? I just want to be clear as your posts imply more than they necessarily say which I suspect is by design.

18 Likes

You study Inorganic chemistry?

Have you setup GCFID’s or HLPC’s or triple quads before?

There are multiple stages we filter the phase gasses before injection, to ensure they do not contain ANY contaminates.
Mole-Sieves are one of the stages, sometimes alumina is as well…

Well… One of these filter aids/adsorbants is in fact sold at whole foods, and when combined with alumina and/or sieve beads, there are few things that can pass it and still contain contaminates.

Remember MONTHS back, maybe even years, when I commented about various filteration stages being skipped during Hydrocarbon processing/isolation for various uses in the world?

Remember the benzene contamination issue in various butane/propane blends used for USP uses?

There are filteration stages at refineries that may, and probably are, being skipped currently.

I experienced shortages for certain filters we sell, as did ertelsop for their filters, and other filter suppliers for the brewery/winery industries.

I have bio pharma friends who let me know they also had a shortage of these filter aids during covid peak, as well.

There is a world wide shortage of this specific adsorbant currently, for analytical, instrumental, and USP grades currently.

Give me until late July and I will factually be able to show you side by side comparisons with various adsorbants being used to remove the contaminates that are creating this issue.

If anyone else wants to try various adsorbants, be my guest. It’s honestly super easy to test before injecting into your systems, to see which adsorbants do what. Pour out your test runs and watch what happens.

I’m sure this is how @johnbigoilco found their solution.

We have no idea what the load capacity is of these adsorbants (how many lbs solvent before you need to regenerate your adsorbant), but it only takes a few days/weeks of testing to develop guidelines.

3 Likes

DE was in short supply, wasn’t it?

3 Likes

Yes as were a TON of other adsorbants. DE is more of just a filter aid though, rather than adsorbant.

Does not exhibit selectivity towards certain compounds.

LOTS of adsorbants can be acid treated or basic treated.

Alumina is not the only one.

1 Like