Building small passive set up

I highly condone this

4 Likes
1 Like

That is super affordable but does it have as much surface area of recovery tubing inside of it compared to the others? I also would have to pump cold into the jacket not just have a dry ice ethanol slurry

Look @ glacier tanks for dephlegmators. They have some with more than enough surface area.

https://www.glaciertanks.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=Dephlegmator&product_list_limit=200

https://www.glaciertanks.com/condensers-cnd-g600-012-0500-37t.html

Nowhere near as affordable but it’ll most likely get the job done.

Your best bet is to get one made to specs.

1 Like

Your best bet is to get one made to specs when it comes to condensers made of stainless especially if you’re going the dry ice and ethanol route.

I was just tossing links cause I read shotgun condenser :grinning::octopus:

1 Like

I appreciate the help, if I had power for a chiller I’d love to use one but I will be running this whole thang off a generator. So far the open sleeve set up is looking the most badass and would continue to serve its purpose as I upgrade the system I end up building

1 Like

I’m looking for the link, I thought I had it bookmarked…

It’s the link where a diy chiller with dry ice and ethanol is used and pumped but it’s dangerous as all fuck and unless you’re willing to spend in the thousands for an ethanol pump it’s not worth it…

Though I’d maybe look at some chiller hacks and search the forum… Maybe you’ll find soemthing interesting to use as a makeshift chiller…

But then you’d be spending more money making a chiller and then you’d have to use generator power on that…

Could probably get a cheap stainless dual diaphragm air operated pump and get a diaphragm that doesn’t embrittle at - 80°c, change out the diaphram for matching ones and see if that would work as a - 80 transfer pump…

All the same in leaving this thread now

It uses a cheepo eco plus pump.

This is the link

6 Likes

Damnit!!! I was searching YouTube for open source steel!! It was fuckin’ extractor depot :man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Yessir I have actually done this before, used a construction pump I think it was called. Doubt it was rated for it. @GroovyOctopusLabs I never really thought of ethanol sparking from a pump but sheeesh that would be a gnarly fire. I Forgot that it would be ideal for my solvent tank to have this pumped through the center coil as well so building a makeshift chiller like this is inevitable for me and the situation I’ll be running under. I would love to find another location where I wouldn’t be limited to generator power but it is what it is

Well good thing for you that little pump won’t draw much on your available power.

2 Likes

And alcohol doesn’t explode at those sub-zero temps
-50c

2 Likes

Yessir! Trust me it’s something I’m use to, been running greenhouses off grid for the past 4 years haha🤣 finally getting some solar going been running a generator 24-7 for a few years straight now and these gas prices are killing me but the cost of running power is just not realistic (30k or so)

1 Like

Been there done that, its rough being 100% off grid and utilizing a generator. What does red dye cost now

Oh yea it’s not fun, a small generator to power a vacc pump/air compressor, sump pump to push hot water, pump to push cold ethanol. Not too rough, I have been living off grid for like 5 years now so I’m conditioned for it🤣 and good old harbor freight gas generators cuz I’m a broke boi😂

Having a generator with the inverter is sooo important, if you don’t have one with it they will pay for themselves very fast. I always used a bank of honda 7k’s or the big boy on a trailer. But seriously make sure your generator has an inverter so it’s not running full bore even under small loads.

1 Like

Oh yea I have multiple Honda’s, 2 3500 HF inverters all with eco boost etc. not the rough construction generators. I’d of lost my mind hearing those loud ass ones for years straight, but seriously when there’s no generator on I switch to panic mode cuz that means I’m fucked :skull::skull::joy:

1 Like

Yeah no shit those cheap ones with out them are crazy loud and so inefficient.

1 Like

if you want to run 2 seperate 1/2’’ lines(1’'total) from collection through mol sieve these items worked well for me

-2x - 1’’ npt x 1.5’’ tri clamp
-2x - 1.5’’ triclamp x 3’’ triclamp
-3x18 jacketed spool
-2x - 1’’ npt tee (bvv carries these)
-4x - 1’’ x 1/2’’ bushing
-4x - 1/2’’ mjic
-2x - 1/2’’ tee ( for top of sieve prv and gauge)
-2x - 3’’ 1 micron sintered disks ( i used dutch weave from bvv)

• corresponding HP clamps and gaskets
  • potentially 2 1/2’‘x 1/4’’ bushings for prv and gauge

each of the 2 lines out of the top go to their own coils then to recovery tank, maybe you could even speed it up with the shotgun condenser? Using the 1’’ tee really speeds things up just make sure to use true full bore valves if you go this route

3 Likes