Budder / BHO protocol critique / help

Seriously…

Dealing with static electricity... MAJOR NO NO

We’ll never know if that’s what got @CuriousFurious

:cry:

2 Likes

Does that life insurance policy cover death by illicit drug lab explosion?

My journey to building my first cls; It was a 2×18 quarter # extraction unit, a lot of great info for newbies. :

Came here not knowing shit and now I’m helping people.

The lid I originally ran with was the mk3 Terpinator Lid. 6" Welded Lid for MK III Closed Loop Essential Oil Extractors – Emerald Gold

I eventually upgraded to a hemispherical lid because of the sight glasses.

Thanks a ton this is a gold mine. I’m reading through your old thread now.

What’s the advantage of the hemispherical lid compared to what you started with / how does it help with the sight glass? You think it’s important for some one who’d be running it once every 3 to 4 months?

You can see it evaporating and you can catch the right moment to cut the evaporation to get the best saturation point for what your looking to make.

Hells yeah I used to run once a month and the hemi lid is the way!!!

1 Like

In the end my 1# unit became a unit that runs like a dream.

I got so into the hobby, I sold off old parts to upgrade my middle spool and regular spool.

… I’m getting back into extraction next year because I miss it a lot. It’s been a while.

But eventually if you get it down you’ll wanna keep upgrading.

Yeah sounds like it. I’m stoned on my couch reading through your old thread from 5 years ago like it’s a captivating history lesson. Killa12345 sounds like he really knows his stuff. Keep it super simple. I gotta design something super basic but upgrade-able. Just like building my computer I’m sure as time goes by I’m going to want the cooler stuff. Thanks again!!!

2 Likes

Oh absolutely. :octopus: No problem man.

1 Like

what collection tank/base size do you think I’d need?

My spool (i’m learning the lingo) is 2" by 18" and is supposed to hold 150g. Each harvest I get about 300g-400g of material to run so I’m thinking I’ll need to do 2 or 3 runs.

Would a 6"x6" collection base be big enough? If I want to run quick/fast and use a 1:10 solvent ration (where I’ve read on other parts of this site) will the 6"x6" hold it all?

1 Like

Static discharge from synthetic material in your clothes.
Spark from head of a non-sparking wrench.
Your cell phone.
Your car remote fob.
Your smartwatch or any electrical watch.

We could go on…

4 Likes

sorry one more question - what do you think about a molecular sieve? You didn’t mention it in the initial setup you recommended but I’m reading and a lot of people say the butane is useless after a run or two without it. Thoughts? They are a lot of $$ (I’m seeing $400ish) but if the butane is really only good for a run or two without it then…

1 Like

Yes 6x6 is good enough for a 2x18 spool.

The collection base sizes are deliberately sized out to hold solvent amounts both liquid and vapor.

When you extract you’re going to be extracting into a liquid puddle that’s your solvent-laden Cannabis oil. The phase change from liquid to vapor happens as you use low heat outside your collection. There has to be enough room in the collection base to be able to handle this phase change as well as enough room to handle the psi shift.

When you’re going from no psi (liquid) to 30psi to 120psi (vapor) you need the room.

You should get a solvent scale to know how much solvent is in your tank so you know how much solvent is going into your system and how much you’re recovering.

There’s solvent math and shit. I think there’s a solvent calculator that gives a rough idea of how much solvent to material you should be running.

Lol I gotta brush up on that stuff.

Some people will give a fuck it and some people will give a do it or lose it attitude.

You’re gonna want to distill your solvent and when you’re doing that you want to distill it through a sieve and sieves can be easy to build. And under 400$

Yes you want to recover through a Mol-sieve to dry your butane.

You want to do that but use a sieve

1 Like

Personally, imo, probably not a popular one: I think if you’re doing extraction for your own personal use, distill your solvent and have no aspiration of making a dime/selling what you make to others then fuck using a sieve.

If you’re making it for money use a sieve.

Mol sieves are reusable as well.

If you’re getting 1lb per harvest and dedicating it all to concentrates you’ll want a 3x24 column and a 6x12 with platter for a collection.

Learn how to run before you upgrade your system though. We have a classifieds here @ future4200 so if you ever want to sell your setup and start over with a 1# unit, it’s a possibility.

ive gotten tagged a few times so after reading.

i wouldnt go with a splatter platter on this small of an extractor. its really a waste on such a small extractor. we sell a lot of splatter platter extractors but the only reason i sell them is customers request them. its a larger cost not only making the base 2 parts but requires 2 clamps and gaskets which ups the cost.

so using your 2" spool…

Flat lid $130 /hemi lid $165 - both work fine but budget can determine
hardware for the top guage, valve, jic fitting - $40
6" hp clamp and gasket $45
6x6 welded base $125
6ft hose $45
Green 10lb tank - amazon $100

= $520 with hemi lid / $485 with flat lid.

2 Likes

Hemi lid will still help be able to catch the saturation point. I’m guessing OP is going for anything that’s gonna be grown in jars so that would help.

Other than that going only by PSI during recovery to catch when you can open the extractor is an option.

I would still to this day rather get my base cut and modified to have a platter with a jacket but I’m always over the top.

Yeah but :octopus: a 6×6 spool with a 6" platter for OP might be a little better, less hassle and if OP recovers too much can just scrape the platter.

@Killa12345 I was saying a 6×12 with a splatter platter should help with a 1lb unit and my last posts were because @DrGreenThumb linked the bvv extractor with the 6×12 collection and I was trying to match that configuration to the budget given. In this case I still think a platter would help a lot but attached to a 6×6 spool not a 6×12.

Oh shit though… I didn’t even think of this one: What if @DrGreenThumb recovers less than one would think is enough and opens the platter and there’s still mad solvent leftover and dumps on OP…

a welded bottom base it is, plus it would be all round safer to learn how to pour out and recover with a full 6×6 welded bottom base

Went full circle on that one

1 Like

lol you sure did go full circle. That all makes sense to me - probably just go w/out the platter because yeah I’ll probably open the platter too early and dump it all out. Simple first. Although I’ll have to look into the mol sieve thing or making one - seems like that’s important.

Many thanks to @killa12345 and all the others who have contributed to this thread as well. I really really appreciate it. Thanks for the assistance. I’m going to keep reading and figuring my shiz out and start whittling down the parts list. you people rock. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@Graywolf is an OG pioneer with everything involving extraction.

His site with a fuck load of knowledge is: https://graywolfslair.com

And this safety page is a solid trove of info:

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/category/8-essential-oil-safety/

And if you really really really want to go through a bunch of knowledge waiting to be absorbed by those willing to learn:

3 Likes