Bud wash PM

Need a quick direction to any links on here for help with washing PM off of dried buds. Friend of mine has some and i remember seeing a thread or comment about it. He only has a few ounces. Seen ya saok em in water but what do ya add to it

If it’s dried bud it’s.trash

4 Likes

Yea best stuff I’ve used is greencure which is just calcium carbonate and its amazing when they are still alive. Hate to say it but if its already dry you might not have any options :grimacing:

1 Like

Lemon juice water bath
H2o2 water bath
Plain water bath

Or wash/extract it all and filter thru a 2um filter to stop spores. @Graywolf
I remember him mentioning this over the years.

3 Likes

Thanks.

Best advice
Tell your grower he/she needs to be more attentive in the garden. Almost 10yrs, and I may have had 1 night off.

4 Likes

I work once a week in the garden and occasionally peak in throughout the week once or twice depending on where they are in their cycle.

1 Like

Filtering down to 0.2um is what @cyclopath (and my own general research) taught me for the prevention of spores. It does not prevent potentially toxic contamination, but it does prevent the (inactive) spores from being present in the extract itself.

7 Likes

I think everyone here missed the point where homeboy said DRIED buds.

Yes you can simply filter the extract through celite on molded buds.

I have yet to see any tests come back positive for mycotoxins or aflatoxins. I would be interested if anyone else on this board has ever seen it either. I don’t think the mold strains that grow on bud produce myco’s. It’s prevalent in corn and other grains for sure but I haven’t heard of anyone actually seeing these toxins on budded flower.

2 Likes

Celite filters finer than 2um?

3 Likes

Dried makes it not possible from anything ive seen or read, gotta do that right when you cut down

Haven’t worked much with celite, but (qualitatively speaking from my own experience) yes, it does. T5 has shown itself to do that, in my observations. 3D filtration (or pseudo-chromatography) filters down to an exceptionally small size, but I couldn’t give you exact numbers. Depth of media, solvent, type of media, and a variety of other variables play into the quantitative level of filtration, which I have not seen well documented.

@square_root_pharms, I think the jury is still out as to whether botrytis (most common mold found on cannabis) leaves any lingering nasties aside from spores. I haven’t personally seen any COAs with positive myco- or alfatoxin contamination, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a soluble bit we don’t want to be ingesting. I’ve processed far more questionable (moldy, nasty) material than I’d care to recount, and this question is one that has long plagued me.

3 Likes

I’ve tested pm and bud rot extractions for mycotoxins and they’ve always come back clean.
The state of Michigan doesn’t require mycotoxin testing on extracts made with solvents.

3 Likes

I’ve went thru kilos of celite for filtration. I wasnt sure of how it would stop spores.

1 Like

Good lab grade celite will.certainly stop spores. Maybe not the pool supply celite media though

1 Like

Obviously washing fresh is the way to go…but what exactly would happen if he tried it with the dried stuff? The mildew spores would still wash off, and if you dried it right away so it didnt mold…I am failing to see the issue, which doesn’t mean there isn’t one…

Probably wreck the outside of the buds tricomes and bag appeal but if its for personal use :man_shrugging: ive always used greencure. There was a few times back in the early days of growing when I had to use greencure close to harvest and it didn’t seem to harm the buds or the taste. But that just could have been me lol

I would imagine it would turn to mush or a soggy nasty bud and ruin it completely

1 Like

what ive heard abot that is that mold spores arent as dangerous as the mycotoxins which are much smaller than the spore. I personally dont think many molds are sending dangerous mycotoxins. with zero knowledge other than mold is everywhere, powdery mildew too, do cucumber farmers get sick?