Bucket broke during winterization

So I had a 5 gal bucket crack on me today in the cryo freezer. Does anyone know where i can find a stainless steel 5 gal or should i just use a stock pot?

http://www.onyxcontainers.com/22-airtight

Worth the money. Fair warning if you use them to store terpenes it’ll ruin the seal after one or two uses.

3 Likes
2 Likes

thanks buddy. Its for winterization only.

1 Like

I’ve used them for winterization, they work great. They aren’t kidding about airtight either, once that lid suctions on during cryo stage, you’ll need a lab spatula to pop it open.

1 Like

The brewing kettle will last you a long time.

If you only need a steel pail

https://www.amazon.com/Vestil-PAIL-STL-RI-Handle-gallon-Capacity/dp/B0052P2GIC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=5+gallon+metal+bucket&qid=1598398109&sr=8-3

1 Like

We have used these: https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Stainless-bucket-Bucket-Gallon/dp/B07G618822/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=stainless+milk+jug&qid=1598398238&sr=8-6

Kegs are a better value. 55 gal open top drums are better but obviously it adds some logistics.

If possible in your jurisdiction, methanol will let you go back to $4 plastic buckets and ditch the freezer while you’re at it

5 Likes

what do you mean ditch the freezer with methanol? are you able to fully winterize in meoh without freezing?

2 Likes

Yeppers. FWIW we still use a regular freezer just to speed things up a bit but freezer not necessary, especially if you add a little water (10%). Basically, it’s harder to louche cannabinoids from MeOH than EtOH and much, much easier to precipitate fats. Makes the precision of dilution ratios much less necessary

5 Likes

That is the same thing were doing, using a -10c freezer 2.5:1 95%meoh:oil and freezing overnight. We go right from that step to chromatography so that was our main reason for choosing methanol over ethanol.
I’ve actually never winterized in ethanol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We had a wide variety in lipid content which made winterizing in EtOh a dangerous proposition. Not being able to follow the textbook, we found that it was much easier to hit a range where all the fat precipitated but we weren’t worried about cannabinoids crashing out. I’d probably get chewed out if I shared parameters but we use both more water and more MeOH:oil.

Biggest downside is it’s a real pain to dissolve all the crude because the lipids don’t dissolve for shit

2 Likes

I am with you that the higher ratios do work even better but the 2.5:1 ratio allows us a bigger column loading volume. And the added step to recover some of that solvent wasn’t worth the added time and the hassle to move to another vessel before remediation.

I haven’t tried more water though. Thanks for the tip on that, I’ll have to play around with it.

1 Like

The disclaimer is that MeOH and water don’t form an azeotrope and that means you get a bunch of leftover water in your oil once you pull the alcohol out. For us the next step is alkane so more water makes our process more effective but if you’re stopping after winterization, more water could be a problem.

1 Like

Yeah i saw that one. Looking for stainless. Just dont want any metal leaching into my crude mix. Thanks though.

2 Likes

Yeah the stock pot or a brew kettle would both be good options. You can also find them with a bottom drain if needed.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjJq4_V27frAhWNIK0GHbXgDBQYABAaGgJwdg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD28NwiuVG9BI7nFXv8Snu5VBzo1caxHajGpIKdB0OWq9v-Oe_sRjWQcFZmdZ2RY2IRjdhfnKcxppeZCPAcCBRD&sig=AOD64_3hkxNZ8ruScwVBDON10-gizWo_zA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjaiYbV27frAhUVuZ4KHWlzDTEQwg96BQgMEPcB&adurl=

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. Ill look into methanol. Im not sure about the recovery temps for methanol. All of this product is going to be made into distillate. So i winterize, filter, roto, then spd. Im new to all of this. Ive cuttently had four successful runs through my short path and im not sure changing solvents is the best idea for me right now, but none the less ill look into it. I was a grower and ive made some shatter in the backyard before but that was it when i started this two months ago.

Not a bad idea with the valve sometimes i use activated charcoal to lighten the distillate up a bit during my winterization. So i have to shake it up a bit. Think stirring it would accomplish the same thing? I mean i would assume it would.

1 Like

What are the dimensions of your cryo freezer?

Yeah, I think stirring would actually be more effective.

1 Like

Well the space i have alotted to winterizing can fit probably 6_5 gallon buckets with about 6 inches of head room. I havent measured it. The rest of the freezer is full of fresh frozen bud.i can measure it tomorrow when im there.

1 Like