Bubble hash with Liquid Subzero water.

Anyone tried running bubble with water in Subzero conditions as a liquid, preferably no ice or salts. Either maintaining with pressure, agitation, etc. Please don’t suggest liquid nitrogen hash, it will make everything brittle and leave contaminant.

sounds like a tall order.

how far below it’s freezing point are you hoping to have liquid water?

5 Likes

Whatever point but obviously no lower than -55F
(That’s whenever water freezes in any condition no matter what.)

1 Like

water freezes at zero C. or 32F

so NOT “liquid sub-zero water” without ice?!?

that should be considerably less problematic.

perhaps we should back up a step or two.
why no ice?!?

Edit: whoops

no lower than -55F

not clear how you get water below 0C or 32F without ice.
Can you elaborate?

5 Likes

You could use a salt brine or even a PG/water mix. You want to wash your hash well after. Imagine making a diy glycol chiller that could recirculate -30 glycol mix in a bubble machine. Otherwise you’re not getting pure H2O under 0c without it freezing to a solid

3 Likes

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/very-sub-zero-water

Cold water has hit a new low. Droplets can avoid freezing — at least for a short while — at temperatures as low as –46° Celsius (–50.8° Fahrenheit), a new study shows.

“It’s a world record, and it’s hard to imagine it will ever fall,” H. Eugene Stanley told Science News . This physicist at Boston University, in Massachusetts, did not take part in the new study.

Water’s normal freezing point is 0° C (32° F). But under some conditions, even colder water can remain liquid. It’s something scientists have long known. Such “supercooled” water stays liquid as long as it doesn’t touch anything, such as a dust particle or an ice cube tray. Once it does, it turns to ice.

except that everything will go solid once you achieve trichomes (dust)

7 Likes

Pressure or salt appear to be the accessible options.

1 Like

salt will certainly work.

I can’t find a phase diagram that actually shows what pressures you’d need

https://www.google.com/search?q=water+phase+diagram&tbm=isch

maybe someone else is more patient?

1 Like

Essentially the only feasible way is to introduce an additive to the water ie. Salt or glycol

1 Like

I’d really like to see what a 60% pg and water solution chilled to -55f would do in say a diy bubble /washing machine lol

3 Likes

So is the real question, what benefits are there from doing a bubble extraction at subzero temps?

In my opinion, there’s no reason to go colder than 39-40 F (4 C)

4 Likes

I’m no bubble expert but I imagine the train of thought might be better yields or more brittle trichomes?

1 Like

Right, seems though at a certain point of cold it’ll be too brittle and all the plant mater would just get micronized, right?

7 Likes

Calcium chloride is known to be the most effective additive for freezing point depression. A solution of 31% CaCl2 in water has a freezing point of -50C. This would be a pretty good bet, although at those temperatures your material better be fresh frozen or else your going to produce at a lot of very small particles of plant material. Fresh frozen may not even save you from this, its worth a shot for sure.

2 Likes

One point i hadnt considered though is how this will affect buoyancy and whether or not the trichomes would rather float in this solution, or still drop…

3 Likes

This^^^^^. Was about to link what RedDog said, but like you said not enough info on pressures. This is the part where R&D, Trial and error would need to be carried out, as I can hardly find anything about super cooled water itself, even asked a chemistry professor at my local community college, and that old dinosaur didn’t believe water could be kept liquid at those temps until I referenced a 2011 study. Perhaps something along the lines similar to a cold loop, but with room for the plant to flow in a vortex yet soft enough to not break plant matter and bleed green.

Now that i think about it, even if this did make the trichomes float, CaCl2 would still be a workable route. You would just need to do the bubblehash process upside down.

1 Like

Now how do you get all the cacl2 out of your extraction?

Fresh water.

Alright… I’m not familiar enough with how bubble hash works I guess