Bubble hash with Liquid Subzero water.

https://wackywillysweb.com/product/rockettank17/

“Like no other, this tank system agitates botanical plants, bud and flower with the force of compressed air or CO2. It is designed to successfully remove plant trichome heads from plant exteriors using ice and water or solvents. All surfaces that touch your product are 100% medical/food grade and the tank can be easily disassembled for professional cleaning.”

1 Like

If you use the calcium chloride and you use only a 220 work bag you basically produce a crude solution containing all the mechanically separated trichomes and plant material, indiscriminate of particle sizes 220u and below.

If the trichomes float then you collect them off the surface of the CaCl2 solution and put them in a 5 gal bucket of cold distilled water and they will sink. Pour this through your series of different size micron bags to separate like normal.

If the trichomes still sink in the cold CaCl2 solution then you just allow trichomes to settle, siphon off the majority of the solution and run the bottom portion thru your bags. Rinse with ice cold distilled water to finish.

If the trichomes do happen to still sink in the cold CaCl2 solution, im fairly sure that the plant material would absolutely be influenced to float due to the change in buoyancy from the dissolved salt.

Id prefer to stay salt free and stick to distilled water and a pressurized environment.

2 Likes

I could see how that could be used as a vessel to pressurize water on a small scale experiment perhaps, and release into an agitation vessel before before passing an inline filtering with pressure and flow of water carding in a way. But larger scale would need the water to material ratio to be different. So much water would be needed it would be disproportionately larger than the amounts used typically for bubble.

1 Like

@TheGratefulPhil @Demontrich @cyclopath @Roguelab @Photon_noir @Future

I understand OP doesnt want to go this direction but what do you guys think, does this sound reasonable?

The water density increases a lot so Unless the biomass gets saturated with Brine i expect it to float
But i wonder if you can get rid of all the salt because if not your kif will atract H2O once dried

Quick google search says the freezing temp barely changes at 60psi, less than 1C. So you would need some serious pressures like co2 machines to get much lower.
I think salt is ur best bet, then wash it out really good with clean water. Google said 23.3% will get u to -6F
Specific gravity would be 1.179

1 Like

But do you think the trichomes will float? If they will not float then perhaps this can be an effective way to clean up dry ice kief or shit bubble hash.

My reasoning is that the tiny particles of plant material that would normally sink with your trichomes and contaminate your hash would be forced to float since the cold temperature doesnt affect their density to the same degree as it would to a trichome and the salt would already have the effect of making shit float easier.

If all the plant material can be made to reliably float then it would be a simple way to get pure trichome heads from any starting point. (Dry sift, bubble, dry ice kief)

@Thetetraguy what do u think?

1 Like

LN2 f**k H2O

3 Likes

If you increase the density of the liquid enough it will be the trichomes that float. Big juicy trichomes have lower density due to the terpene content. Plant matter seems to have a higher density. This is a semi effective way of cleaning sift or bubble although it is somewhat of a pain to get all the salt off the trichomes.

2 Likes

Thats what I was thinking but trichomes are also encapsulated in a layer of phospholipids. Lipids and other waxy compounds have stronger relationship between temperature and density, this is the reason i was thinking it may be a viable route.

Why is it hard to remove salt from the trichomes?

It just requires a very very thorough wash with high amounts of clean water. This method is viable just in the opposite way you were thinking. The trichs float when you increase the density enough. It works better with 70 micron or larger trichomes but i have had some success with 45 micron.

1 Like

US10300494B1 - Method of plant resin separation and extraction - Google Patents

3 Likes

So it will work as a post processing step to bubble hash, cool. Thanks for that link.

2 Likes

Not quite sure on this. I’ve made lbs and lbs of bubble in the past. I’ve always just froze biomass, and using ice, water, 5gal buckets, bubble bags and a paint mixer.

5 Likes

To what direction are you referring, @ScoobyDoobie? I’ve seen several. Supercooling water without additives to make a solution, and with chunks of herb in it is not possible.

The main question I have not seen answered is: “Why do you want supercooled water?”

Resin freezes solid enough at 4°C, pure water’s densest point (d = 1g/cc). Resin’s density at room temperature is about 1g/cc, so even in cold water, the resin has neutral buoyancy… though the phospholipid bilayer membrane of the trichome head may have its own unique effect on total buoyancy.

7 Likes

I would try the vg water mix chilled to dry ice temps. Then louche the vg out with clean water.

IDK this is making my brain hurt…

Cool thought, but from what I understand all we’re trying to do is separate the trichomes heads from the plant. Everything else should be left intact. Get your water as close to 32F w/o freezing up and that is all you need, temperature-wise.

At this website: https://pollinator.nl/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/man_Ice_eng.pdf2_.pdf

the inventors of the Ice-o-lator bubble hash system have stated that the “best temperature” for bubble hash production is 41F … same as @RedDog said :nerd_face:

That’s what I’ve always done too.

4 Likes

So my theory is using a still coil in a coffin cooler running a mondi recirculating pump from my grow to recirculate the water in and out. Using 0 ppm water under enough pressure and high enough rate of agitation it should freeze. Realistic projections based on analysis look like -20 is as low as I can get without stainless vessels and clamps. Now water reacts differently under a vacuum and at different temps. So if you were to make it a closed loop water extraction under vacuum with continuous pressure, you could achieve water based concentrates that would be dabbable… IDK I’ve been thinking about this for awhile. You would have to pull out your water like a Buckner funnel or it would freeze immediately? I’m probably overengineering it, but it is definitely doable. And I wouldn’t blow up doing it :grin:

3 Likes