BR instruments THC Remediation Harmonic Distillation

Ill bet my next paycheck this unit is just snake oil (in whiskey tincture) - sure it brings relief to whatever ailes ya, but the relief is from the whiskey more than the whatever flavoring the doc mixed in + the sexy words used to name his proprietary product.

In an earthquake, which structure fails first? - the ridged structure OR a the more elastic structure?

2 Likes
2 Likes

seems reasonable to me! Just reading a paper on ultrasonic distillation (spotar et al. 2015), the authors suggested ultrasonics are conducive to mist formation which should enhance mass transfer into the vapor phase of compounds with appreciable vapor pressure. Like a humidification operation. Does the remediator have a vac pump that continuously sucks out the vapor + mist? Or does the unit cycle between mist generation, mist precipitation (electrostatics?!?), and vapor removal?

Funny thing about the paper I read is they couldn’t conclude that harmonic distillation was more effective than gas sparging. Maybe in the case of crude oil it’s hard to get efficient oil/gas contact and that’s why they went with ultrasonics? Still, in academic literature ultrasonic distillation looks like it never made it past the ‘oh, neat!’ level.

Anybody know how terpene levels are affected? If cannabinoids can be remediated like this I would expect even more terpene loss.

1 Like

Id say that terpenes are about the only components of the oil that are actually being “distilled”. Have yet to see analytical proof that THC is part of the oil phase floating on top the water in the aspirator vac reservoir at the completion of a run.

1 Like

Posted this on a separate thread yesterday but for everyone following the harmonic distillation discussion, here is the webinar that Vanguard Scientific hosted in October discussing it some more.

[https://blog.vanguardscientific.com/blog ]

What do they claim? The podcast looks like it has a lot of fluff in it

Was fluffy, the Q&A portion and chat took a crack at unpacking it.

I was unable to find out from my friend if he asked them if they are losing any terps. What he was told was to expect about 15% no more than 20% loss of CBD and complete loss of CBC in the process. So 50% CBD crude would end up looking like 40-43%. I believe there is a vacuum what I don’t understand is if there is constant recirculation going on or not. The group I am consulting with is still 90 days out before they get their unit. I was invited to see it run but with Covid passed on the chance.

Did anyone figure this one out? It sounds like it just oxidizes the THC into something else.

If the “THC that distills with the water” isn’t recoverable, perhaps it’s not there. Matter has to go somewhere so if it’s really removing the THC that mass is going to be found wherever it “goes”.

1 Like

yea this was the biggest blunder in cannabis processing tech i think ive seen yet.
Im still amazed that BR would even play along with the “harmonic distillation” claim. THC is just degraded, its a glorified heated, agitated reactor. At least the heat/time tek works well enough those who payed 500K for this didnt get totally fukt, but they could have done the same thing for a fraction of the cost.

The company BR was repping claimed all sortsa BS, like their reaction vessel was made to some special harmonic favoring geometry and took a long time to fab. The tank used was a conical fermenter that they sloppily buffed out the name plate that showed it was bought online from a brew supplier.

4 Likes

Is the company still in existence?

We figured it out in theory within a week, then a few months to scale to 3-4x what they could do in that unit…

Cost like 50k.

3 Likes

Not sure, ask BR. Ive heard chatter that the original company responsible for the use of "harmonic distillation"that BR was repping was having some sorta legal issues - about what- i dont remember exactly, however I dont recall it being about their BS claims, again- not sure.

Last I had seen, BR is now selling a skid of their own design/build and hopefully not using “harmonic distillation” in their marketing (too lazy to go to their website n check). It did look a bit better build than the original kit - which was janky looking af, especially for 500K$.

The manufacturer sells (or sold?) under their own brand as Delta-9 Systems

I’ve got one of the Delta 9 units. It oxidizes thc. The end.

2 Likes

This had to win the honor of most green-taxed product ever. Based on my analysis it seems like they were charging 10x margin or close.

5 Likes