BR Instrument D970L

Hope you are all safe !
Has anyone heard about this new solvent free THC remediation system from BR instrument ?

Thanks

Alone in a cave…

3 Likes

seems like its a high powered vacuum lol, i doubt it works good

1 Like

I’m pretty intruiged, and have no idea what it is or how it works lol

1 Like

To me it looks like nothing but a reactor, probably for some degredation based method.

3 Likes

Yeah that makes sense, especially when it just said cannabanoid “loss” in process.

It doesn’t say what they degrade into though :frowning:

There is no degradation. Minors and majority CBD are preserved. There is a loss of CBD into the THC “waste” stream. The THC and small amount of CBD end up into a drum of water which can have the immiscible organic layer drained off.

It does utilize light heat and vacuum. It can process CBD/CBG crude or distillates to complaint or T-free. Monitoring of the levels must be done on an HPLC, but I would argue that is an important tool for many labs anyways.

1 Like

Hmm… If I was to guess now…

It’s using the boiling point and some water/steam to create a mechanical distillation, or else the thc has a slightly higher water solubility than cbd. With enough time and equilibrium the thc should squeak it’s way out of there.

solved

No, the temperatures are relatively low and controlled by a circulating bath.

@tweedledew No steam used to separate cannabinoids. The drum of water is just a cheap yet efficient way to remove the waste stream from the system.

Ah nice, I’d go with water solubility then… Maybe with a mild acid or base involved to tune it a bit further.

No chemical reactions or anything so complicated. Solubility is what precision is going after I think.

2 Likes

So this is just a distillation process with an unusually large anount if theoretical plates? How many does this column have anyway?

1 Like

I thought it was at first. And it could still be in part?

But the “drum of water as an efficient means to remove the waste streams” made me think it has to do with solubility. Then use deep vaccuum to remove residual water.

But I’m not an engineer, mostly just a good guesser.

1 Like

They said no chemical reactions and mentioned solubility being the deal with precision’s system so it’s likely that that’s not a chemical process, but in reality your guess is no better than mine.

You might have better luck looking for the questions they don’t answer. A company hiding its technology has more to lose by not answering partially correct responses than answering plainly wrong responses. So that might help narrow it down, but does not shed additional light on the working principle.

@1234user It is a form of distillation. This hasn’t been my project, so I am not trying to be vague. I am just not familiar with every aspect.

We are a distributor and are working on sub-distributing with a big industry name at the moment.

I have heard it called “Harmonic distillation”, but that description only seems to raise eyebrows and tilt heads. We can run test batches if proof of concept is an issue.

How does this differ from your typical spinning band systems? Also who have you heard call it Harmonic distillation?

The manufacturer has called it that. Like I said, we are just a distributor and this isn’t something we have made ourselves. My guess is there is something in the electronic controls of the system that prevents an equilibrium.

It is not really similar to spinning band at all. They both separate components based on their vapor pressures and use a polyscience bath, but that is about it.

1 Like

From what I heard talking to the designer and owner of the tech, each vessel takes about 350 man hours to make and everyone is unique to produce the desired effect. You can remediate crude or distillate, crude having the lower loss of CBD associated with remediation. Run time averages 20 hours per batch. There is some slight oxidation associated with the run and if you don’t stop the unit once it reaches ND then it will continue to remove CBD until there is nothing left. Your minors do stay intact.