Blasting onto non-stick surfaces

Hey all - I searched the forum but could only find things about blasting onto Pyrex. Are there any materials I can use to blast onto so I don’t have to transfer the Butane soup from pyrex to non-stick? I am losing a lot in the transfer and the agitation is causing sugaring.

Though I know not to blast onto silicon because the hydrocarbons will pick some of it up.

1 Like

Just use Pyrex or mason jars…

Pyrex FTW

3 Likes

By blasting if you mean open blasting, you probably shouldn’t be worrying much about leaching from paper or silicone, using a sheet of unbleached parchment paper folded in the Pyrex would be your best bet IMO

3 Likes

I second just purging in the pyrex. I wouldn’t open blast on parchment. You could try PTFE.

5 Likes

I have open blasted onto parchment and it seeped/leaked through lol

1 Like

I blast and purge on ptfe sheets. Buy a roll on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Food-Grade-Resistant-Parchment-Alternative/dp/B07D7T2L83/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=ptfe+sheet&qid=1606873188&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRTZFN1RZUUdIQkEyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODA1OTkzMTc3SkVHWVNHOUhMTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODc0MzQyOTlRQjhaTEY4UU5DJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Edit: the 2mm thicker stuff is better then oil slick sheet, oil slick is very thin. The 2mm stuff is very thick. Remember ptfe is an insulator so you may need to increase temps if you purge on it. But I can blast purge and decarb all on the same sheet, and it’s non stick sheet

4 Likes

When I used to open blast I had a Pyrex pitcher I would use and pour from to parchment when it would begin to thicken up.

5 Likes

Exactly.

3 Likes

I dont think agitation is the issue :thinking:

I suspect it is amongst a host of other factors but the convenience factor would also be nice. Someone linked some sheets above, I may have to buy them.

That’s exactly what I want to do. I am so over losing a few days worth of dabs to the side of the pyrex. Thanks a bunch this is what I need.

1 Like

I’ve been told otherwise. And yeah totally open blasting. Looking for convenience and minimal loss in handling. Well, no loss in handling if it’s remaining on the same surface. If you’re right, it would save me a tonne of time.

It’s super easy to work with too. Purged bho comes right off, toss the sheet in the fridge for a little bit and shatter comes right off. Fold and pop to collect just like silicon

If you decarb on it, the oil will be crazy sticky, so get it cold, fold the oil onto itself and peel quickly and “pop” the sheet off one side of the slab. Once I get a chunk collected, I wear a silicon glove, grab the chunk, it’ll pop off the ptfe sheet if it’s cold, then use that to collect rest. You may need to toss decarbed oil in the freezer to get it cold enough, but even the stickiest decarbed oil on ptfe sheet, out of a freezer some pieces can slide right off. Sometimes when I fold and pop, little fragments can pop off the sheet onto the counter, so do it on a clean surface and keep an eye out.

1 Like

If it’s really shatter, shouldn’t it be pretty stable at room temp?

4 Likes

Nitrile gloves for handling. Be careful bringing oil in and out of the fridge or freezer as you can introduce moisture. Better to work in a cold environment or just purge the slab till it’s stable.

6 Likes

get PTFE sheet & line the pyrex with the PTFE, after purge it leaves no mess in the pyrex & a little cold and the slab will come rite off the PTFE sheet

7 Likes

It depends. My starting product isn’t controlled. So a terpier end product won’t produce a rock hard shatter. I’ve had instances where I end up with a more pull-snap kind of thing. One could blame the purge process on that too so I’m open to being wrong.

3 Likes

I used to blast into steel pot, hot water bath, then to pyrex measuring cup and finally pour onto the reynolds version of this stuff. Much easier than scraping when making shatter

Ptfe paper is probably better.

1 Like

Then it’s called pull and snap…not shatter.

2 Likes

You got it Myrrdin - all my issues solved with one product :smiley: Why couldn’t I find this info while searching I wonder - my search terms must have been way off.