Bifenthrin remediation in butane extraction

Their solvent choices were definitely a topic of lots of discussion as well as they had very limited abilities where they were located at the time

…and this is also specifically why life of a consultant is super frustrating at times.

I would not at all be surprised if the magSil process that was preformed and its data is compromised in some way honestly

I would love to see more current data

1 Like

I know you know what you are doing…so I’m more suspicious of their process than your insight. Hopefully something I’ve put up on this thread helps.

1 Like

It was 2017/2018 so things were way different and analytics were also very frustrating.

Buying solvents wasn’t as easy. Alibaba was the source for most things. I’m glad things have gotten easier and knowledge is out there with people helping eachother

2 Likes

I’m super ready to dump this data on the magSil in the trash and try it again …but I’m not in a lab nor near any of my equipment. I do have material still if anyone wants to play with it

I don’t think mag sil will touch bifenthrin.

Bifenthrin is very similar in polarity to cannabinoids. Even high ppm bifenazate is hard to fully remediate with mag-sil without effecting yield.

Interesting that someone else thinks AA will help. That was part of @TheWillBilly’s method too.

3 Likes

I have loads of data from pesticide remediation projects.

The sad truth is that cannabis pesticide regulation is as simple as avoiding the pesticides on the list. There are probably a dozen of other effective pyrethroid pesticides that aren’t tested for in any state.

When foods (strawberries) are tested it’s not done this way. When a new peak is detected it’s quantified and checked for permitted use. You can’t just dodge regulation by buying bifenthrin 2.0 which separates slightly on the testing methods from
Bifenthrin 1.0. In cannabis that’s all good.

3 Likes

This must be true because I never heard it being a “problem” widely discussed again until now. This is sooo sad

So It was definitely bifenthrin that’s I was able to remove using this technique, I’m getting the initial RD samples and the post remediation COAs together on my desktop Will update soon

2 Likes

Simplest way to “remediate” will be to crystallize the THCA out and discard the filtrate, test that the crystals are clean, and find some way to work the THCA into another batch. Working with adsorbents and chromatography will be extensive in scope and probably still never quite work. Crystallization is going to be the only single-step separation that yields anything you can use - you might be able to salvage the THCA but the terps and non-THCA cannabinoids are probably not salvageable without a lot of money/time lost.

3 Likes

Here’s my COA’s for a pesticide remediation run showing knockdown of several pesticides and concentration of Bifenthrin

This is from the standard MagSil PR LLE pesticide tech that everyone uses a variation of.

There is another solution that’s the wrong answer, but you could always just dilute the living crap out of it until it passes if your type of metric track systems allow for batching like that.

2 Likes

Dilution is always a solution

Add clean product until the new mixture is below allowable threshold

Bifethrin at any levels is not the goal

Here take this cbd to help with your Parkinson’s - but it will give you Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s too

3 Likes

0.2ppm passes

I still wouldn’t choose to consume it personally

It would have to be not present at all

3 Likes

Me neither

But I’ve never scanned the qr code for analytic data on a gram once in my life. I’m sure I’ve consumed stuff below the loq

5 Likes

LOQ is not the same as “passing” although most labs set their LOD as close to the legal limit as possible while still being able to quantitate at that pass/fail threshold.

1. it costs more to look harder
  2. nobody wants “it passed but we can still see it” on their product.

So you have also likely used product ABOVE LOQ as well…

6 Likes

Thank you

The devil is in the details

Be mindful that in some states - dilution is illegal. Like in Michigan. You have to present your remediation plan, it will be denied. And if you get caught, you will get a suspended license and a big fine. This happened to someone last year, who shall not be named. :wink:

Always good to consider the regs in your location before you select a course of action. Some states don’t allow you to remediate pesticides at all and will be looking for that less than 30 day destruction log.

7 Likes

Yes officer, we burned it…days ago.

2 Likes

I think I would love to find a copy of this book, @Labdog !