Best way to decarb live resin

I dont have a problem with experiments but lots of ppl here with experience and id rather ask the pros then try to reinvent the wheel or shoot myself in the foot.

Ive read most resin threads here and have gotten some insights but i still do not have a clear idea as to whats the best method for my case, that is to make $.

Aporeciate if you can comment on below. Again i have never done this and this is my reasearch up to date.

my options for making live resin carts…

1. Separate, decarb, combine - pure resin that doesnt crystalize
  2. Decarb at 180 for 2 days - lose some terps but get same result as #1. ( this info i got from somewhere else, they made hash rosin carts i figure its pretty much the same… so my question was is this is possible for live resin or bunch of bs)
  3. Decarb half way + cut with dist at 50/50 or 35/65 - this is not pure live resin so id rather not do this.
  4. Decarb fully + cut with 10% cannabis terps.

Reading threads on this forum i also see that theres a way to improvevtge decarb with pressure, etc.

Problem is shatter is $10/g here, live resin carts $20. Is the extra cost of carts, filling, and decarbing worth the extra $10…im thinking only if i can streamline the decarb.

Unless you have access to wholesale products I wouldn’t recommend it.

At the consumer level your cart is going to cost at least $2, but as much as $5.

You’ll always have transfer loss, and even though you have terps in your live resin, if it’s consumer product it won’t have enough to not need added terps or sauce; added cost.

Not to mention the decarb will also cost you 12% of every gram you try to decarb. Heating your terps for 2 days is going to alter the profile a bit even at 180°F.

Finally and most importantly. THC is THC. Is doesn’t matter if it comes from disty or sugar as long as it’s pure. What matters for your ‘live resin’ carts is purely the profile. HTE, Sauce, whatever you want to call it will have a more realistic range, but hdts and cdts can be your friend.

Tldr; you’re better off reselling someone else’s stuff or you’ll want to scale up to wholesale purchases. Don’t forget your time is worth money too.

3 Likes

I’ll ask again. Do you HAVE live resin.

The above sounded to @CuriousChemist22 lije you were buying at dispensary prices.

To me it suggests no distinction between “shatter” and “live”…

If you HAVE live resin, option one is your go to.

Decarb at low temp in a sealed vessel is another option. Don’t use a caning jar unless you grok the math

4 Likes

Thank you. I grow indoor, up in Canada. Prices for quads flower are $500-700 currently, thats a $1-1.5ish per gram and still need to dry, cure, trim…

I have a market for shatter at $10. Maybe $8 on crazy volume so its basically same numbers unless im way off on yield projections… minus the trimming and curing… which is also a ton of work.

Live resin is an option cuz i can fresh freeze my crop and run batches every few days and tailor it to my schedule, instead of trim jail for 2 weeks at a time.

Shatter would be very straightforward but it seems the cart market is a lot bigger. Plus we have dist carts with some terps selling for $25 all day long. Live resin carts Are $40 retaul so i should be able get $20 i think.

It seems that cutting it with high quality dist is my best bet, atv east to get the ball rolling. What ratios would you recommend if i do cut it with dist? Should i cut with dist + terps.

Im new to extracts and dont know what htds cdts mean.

My room goes into flower this week and im planning out the extraction project at this point. I want to be ready with all i need in 60 days or so.

Sealed vessel like those vac chambers for bho purging?

No. Those, like canning jars, are not designed for pressure.

If you haven’t read the following, I suggest you do

Decarb under pressure to retain terps?

So I made a thing to decarb with....

Decarb for carts question

5 Likes

Linking some details you’ve mentioned from some other threads, if you’re set on the bho to carts route and you’re going to fresh freeze your own harvest you could do a cold crash on your pour if you leave it just a little wet and that’ll give you a really nice light fraction, then let the remainder of your sugar purge until there’s next to no pressure building up, finally spin that ‘finished’ sugar to separate the remaining terpene fraction and combine it with your light fraction, purge those both low and cold too. Decarb your sugar, add the combined terpene profile back in, fill carts.

4 Likes

This…

3 Likes

My guess is you didn’t decarb enough. You need to convert most of the thca to d9 to get it to stay liquid.

Hey guy anyone can help me with a site to buy live hemp terpenes? I tried true terpenes live resin ones they nice but i need more flavors

1 Like

I already got it lol i was installing the heat pad the wrong way

1 Like

Can u guys help me with a quicker way to Decarb thca from spun resin
It takes 8 hours at 250f to decarb it right now
If i go higher in temp lets say 300 f is it a safe temp to Decarb?

@cyclopath @Myrrdin

I start @ 280f just before it melts, then I drop to 250f

1 Like

Takes me about 3 hours or so.

I was thinking to do that,it just takes forever :smiling_face_with_tear:
I started my oven at 2pm and they still in the oven after 9 hours ,almost done now
Thank you!

Oh dang. That does seem long.

I should try that with higher temperatures first,my oven temps are consistent cause I measured with a ir thermometer a couple times ,abd everyone telling me it takes 3-4 hours idk how mines are taking this long
I can see a lot of bubbles still ,and i dont wanna degrade it if i go higher in temp for the whole process

Looks done bro bro, take one batch out see how it reacts when it cools down. Definitely don’t go higher all the way. You’ll start cooking it and when you open oven door you’ll see smoke. I wouldn’t even use the foil. Top open.

Edit: interesting, you have two different colors. The lighter ones look more pure I assume(less terps before decarbing)

I tried removing after 4 hours when bubbles still visible and when i tried to mix it it got cloudy and white not clear like a distillate,and the jars with bigger amounts take a little longer
Yes the red ones still got terps trapped couldn’t clean it that good as the other one