Best way to clean sintered disk

Hey so how’s everyone cleaning their sintered disks? Only thing I could find in the search was a ultrasonic cleaner. I’ve been pouring acetone ontop and let it drain through. Then vac it or use a heat gun to evaporate any acetone. The last few days I’ve noticed the small pool on top has been taking longer to make it through. I’m worried I have some sort of clog or something.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it works, but I’ve been told to put it in the oven and bake it. Not sure on the temp or time though. Maybe someone else can add those details

I would definitely use ultrasonics, we used it for all of our lube oil filters on an aircraft carrier. I ripped apart a few damaged filters (they’re metal discs with mesh discs inside) to check the quality of the cleaning and it was outstanding.

1 Like

spray some etoh on the filter and blow both sides with compressed air, if it is really stubborn you can rinse in alconox and boil in distilled h20 a few times, then saturate while still warm with etoh and try the air gun trick.

3 Likes

I started looking up ultra sonic cleaners. I thought they were waaaayy more expensive for some reason. How long do they typically take to clean a disk? Looking at this one now

turn it powder exposed side down in an ultrasonic cleaner and zap it for a few hours.

4 Likes

Are you putting powders directly on the disk?

1 Like

Damn it takes a few hours?

No, 5 micron filter paper ontop of the disk

3 Likes

I dont get how people clog these. I run celite on the disc under the powders and never had to clean the disc ever.

2 Likes

Mine never sees powders, but i clean after last run just to be sure its clean.

1 Like

What do you put in the ultrasonic? Iso? Ethanol?

I wouldn’t recommend using any volatile solvents in am ultrasonic cleaner.

4 Likes

So just water? Or ??

I don’t use sintered but maybe try emptying the sintered disc than connect them back together but feed the opposite way to back wash the disc out. To make things easier use a solvent transfer pump to create pressure with a heavier hydrocarbon so you won’t have to use LPGs. I would guess whatever pressure you’re feeding into the CRC will be need the same pressure backwashing. That’s the challenge i see happening.

1 Like

They make a variety of emulsifying cleaners that at first glance appear to be diluted with water, followed by several rinses of deionized water.

PD680 is a dry cleaning solvent that works really well in ultrasonics. Just distilled water is probably fine for particle removal, the PD680 is more for oils/fats/waxes.

4 Likes

Ended up ordering that ultrasonic cleaner. Hopefully it works

4 Likes

Have it 50c. Going on about 45min. Why exactly what am I looking for? Should I raise temps? Just wait longer? Using alconox as cleaner. Should I add more?

1 Like

I fill above discs completely with alcohol first(no heat). Followed by distilled water at 45c. You should see media(if any was even in there) on bottom of tank by now. I clean tank then run again twice in 15 min intervals @Gumby i do alcohol outdoors in well ventilated area

1 Like