B80 tips for sugar sauce runs on machine trim. 1st b80 run

thanks for that tip.

Good luck man. Those filters are notorious for breaking.

good to know… im not even using it. just 2 3um paper filters kept in place with a filter ring. will see how that goes in the morn.

1 Like

It’s the lack of support from underneath. If it gets clogged it will eventually just blow out. If you keep it clean and use it as a fail safe you should be ok

2 Likes

I keep hearing that about properly cleaning it. I’m curious what that entails?

There are a few topics on that already actually,

3 Likes

Thank
You for that. Damn. Sounds like a royal pita. Why a sintered disk over disposable paper filters anyway?

paper filters have been known to expand in the presence of pressures, so the micron rating can change. They can also tear mid run and put a damper on things if your powders blew by into the collection pot. Sintered discs with backing plates give you more protection against this, but aren’t really suited as a direct replacement due to the cleaning steps needed. It’s way easier to throw away some paper than clean a disc.

I run paper filters above the sintered disc to keep it clean. It’s basically there as a security blanket in case the paper doesn’t work out. Lately I’ve been running the medium paper below the powders, and a slow paper above the disc. I haven’t had any signs of powders make it past the first paper.

3 Likes

Nice thank you. How to you determine fast
Vs slow filters? Micron size? Or do they make fast And slow 3 or 5 um or whatever paper filters? I’ve got 3um and 20um from oss.

1 Like

3 um is slow. 20 um is fast. They are usually marked accordingly on the package.
Micron size indeed is how its determined

4 Likes

I read about prewashing? Is that basically just doing a quick wash through a solvent before you do a run? So you would run Sullivan through it and then have to pack it afterwards? Trying to get the benefit of this or if I even have the right idea of what it is.

1 Like

My test run seems to go pretty well. Pressures were not an issue. I did take the advice of using nitrogen assist through the column instead of through the tank that seem to help a lot. The end result is crystal clear LOL and it came from basically garbage.It’s a toll run so nothing I have to sell or smoke. But be 80 seems to be working very well and I’m excited to continue to use it and see how it works out. I’ll post some pictures later I’ve got several runs to do tonight

5 Likes

8 Likes

First test run the clay was dry when i cleaned it out. The next run it was full on wet clay. How should I interpret that? Did I add too much b80 first run? Both runs were almost too devoid of color. This stuff is black without crc

2 Likes

Curious if y’all have experimented with maybe a 1/4:1 ratio instead of 1/2:1

1 Like

nice results! It looks like you got it working well.

I’ve done a 1/4:1 ratio, it seemed to come out about the same. I go for 1/2:1 just out of convenience due to my column size. When I ran smaller I needed more papers and stuff to hold it all in place.

This run was more like 1/3 : 1
This b80 is a nightmare to deal with tho lol. Does great but fucking with the dry clay is worse than burning man playa dust…
I need to figure some shit out. It’s gets everywhere when it’s all dusty like. Microwaving it Has a learning curve that’s for sure lol

2 Likes

yeah any of the adsorbent powders are such a fine micron, they will all be difficult to work with. It’s advised to wear a mask when working with them, you don’t want to get that stuff in your lungs.

I microwave mine in a flat pyrex dish, spread out evenly. From there I just slowly pour it into my column. The dust is kept to a minimum this way.

When I break it down, I dump everything right into a garbage bag and close it quickly to prevent dust escaping.

6 Likes

I didn’t go back to reread, but if no one mentioned… respirator or at least a good dust mask when you’re working with powders. If you can connect your crc to a vacuum pump while packing and rap the sides with a tool while you vacuum you will get a more manageable crc filling experience, and empty it while it’s inside a bag or other container to help control dust.

6 Likes

That’s the spot!

1 Like