B80 tips for sugar sauce runs on machine trim. 1st b80 run

Hello everyone. To preface i have read the b80 threads. Saw a lot of contradiction especially with baking but also with proper packing. Do I need a press? Is a vibrator effective lol? Can I just pack it with human force ?
I’m about to do my first b80 remediation. I’m doing this because the last time I ran machine trim it came out black. It was very terpy but from a darker plant and the trim machine didn’t help the outcome, I believe. After some jar tek I had a batch of black diamonds. Not sure how this will retail. Probs not well.
So I’m giving it another try. Hopefully with better results.
-I’m using a 2.5 lb material column packed tight.

• I’m using a mix. Originally iso,n butane, propane mix. Now I’ve been tipping it off with 70/30 N butane and propane.
  • injecting via coil in acetone dry ice slurry
  • I have 2 4x2” filter stacks with 2 perf plates in each and 2 filter rings for each.
  • I have a 4x2” filter stack with sintered filter on bottom. The filter rings above will not fit in this stack leaving me a little confused.
  • plan on using .5:1 b80:material
    My plan is to back either 1 or both filer stacks with b80 (if I can fit enough in 1, great)
  • the b80 trapped between a 20 micron on top and 3 micron on bottoms filter papers.
  • material column on top
    Of that.
    I’ve also thought about doing the same set up with sintered disc on bottom, Regular filter stack above that (same 2 paper filters) and then just putting b80 down in the bottom of the material column and loading material on top to secure the powder. Not sure what method would work best. Not sure how much 1.25 lbs of b80 looks like and how much space it uses.

I guess my biggest concern here is channeling.
I plan on switching out the b80 every run.

Not sure if I should bake it or not. Keep seeing both sides of that story so I guess I’ll try both.

Wondering how you guys press your b80 and what methods you use to make sure you don’t get channeling

Any suggestions, comments, questions, advice is welcome. Thanks a lot

2 Likes

Baking helps a bunch, for packing powders all I do is tap the sides and pull a vac.

(I don’t bake powders, I microwave em fyi)

8 Likes

Just clip a spool on a killa plate and add a lil DE as your first cake. Fill the rest with b80. For 2.5lbs of material a 3x8 spool will do.

Also what @clouds said go slow through it. B80 works best with longer contact times

10 Likes

I get much better results when I bake my B80 prior to use. I run around the same ratio (.5:1) but I’ve never run anything other than my own material so I can’t say what to expect the machine trim to come out as. I’m sure others will chime in on that. Like @Curious_Roberto I microwave mine. 2.5 mins on high twice, then let it cool.

For channeling, I use a 1.5x6" spool and load it with rolled felt to make a “poor mans filter” (search the term on here and you’ll find info on it).

I use this rolled felt on each side of the column and between I sandwich my B80. I use filter papers on the outside and regular retaining rings and screened gaskets to hold everything in place. This kind of presses it in place with maybe 10ftlbs of pressure. Not much of a press by any means. I find if I don’t do this, pressure fluctuations inside the system will cause channeling every time.

If you can run a sintered disc on the bottom, it is advised to have an extra level of safety. I ran the 1.5" ones for a couple of runs and the flow was awful. I switched to a 3" and it flows just fine now.

Another key trick is contact time. B80 works better if you run through it slower than just blasting at full speed. I trickle through when I run and it pulls a lot of color.

7 Likes

Curious how you microwave? Do you just put flat on a plate of something? Put in jars? Is the microwave basically for drying powders only now? Can you dry mol sieve beads in a microwave as wel??

Thanks for all your answers above! Great info.

2 Likes

How many runs have you done with that method of just tapping the sides? Are you packing material on top of the powder to hold it down? What filter size do you use? Have you ever experienced channeling doing that or total success so far??

That’s cool. I digg that. Would have to completely modify my system to incorporate that method but it looks like a good one to lean towards when I do eventually modify. Ha I’ve been modifying every week anyway lol.
What exactly is a killa plate??

Killa plate is a sintered filter from @Killa12345 best prices

10 Likes

Also what are putting into he top side of that 3x10 to hold the powder secure?

1 micron filter sounds appropriate in the bottom. I think My sintered is 5 micron. Seeems pointless when I use 3 micron paper filters before it…

1 Like

Just fill it amddbtap the sides.
@killa12345 sells these plates for this

2 Likes

Get a 1. Then stage your filtration down to that…

1 Like

Think the 3 will be ok or should I wait and get a 1 first ? I’m going to check and make sure my sintered disk isn’t .5 cause 5 doesn’t make a lot of sense

5 makes total sense, just not as your final level of filtration.

4 Likes

I put it in mason jar with a paper towel over the top. The steam coming off does cause the powders to poof a little, so the paper towel reduces the dust that comes out.

I’ve done maybe a dozen runs with my current sop. No flow or channeling issues. Stack is built as follows, from bottom up:

.5um sintered disc
1um disc
Filter stack
1um felt disc
5um felt disc
10um felt disc
Fast filter paper held in with retention ring
Powders (lately just b80)
Fast filter paper with retention ring

11 Likes

Ok. So probably don’t run b80 till I get better/ more filtration?

1 Like

Did you get it from bvv? If so it’s 5um, they only go down to 1.

If it’s from utah biodiesel it could be .5 though.

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying :pray:great info

2 Likes

It’s oss. It’s. 3 micron. I just called them to ask.

1 Like

So, in my opinion, you COULD get away with the 3um, but we’ve all pretty much gone down to 1um as standard. Or, you could use a celite bed on top of a paper filter.

Honestly, if done right the 3um should be more than enough if the column is packed properly.

I’ll say the new bvv dutch discs are pretty nifty and not a big cost though.

2 Likes

When it gets time to do my nightly chores for my “hobby” I’ll snap a couple of pics of my current setup to give you a general idea of what I do.

Just keep in mind my setup might be different than what someone else does.

2 Likes