Best vessel for LLE

Hey friendos

I’m gonna be rocking some medium scale LLE (couple kg at a time). My 4L separatory funnel just doesn’t seem to cut it.

Anyone got any equipment tips?

My first thought was a reactor? I’m sure there’s a Chinese one that’ll do just fine.

Stainless steel and ph swings is a no go from what I’ve interpreted.

3 Likes

Do you think a teflon coating on that stainless steel would make things any better?

2 Likes

yes

@tweedledew
glass reactor is standard, glass lined stainless will work. Stainless is alright for anything with a little ph swing.

1 Like

I would assume being able to see where your layers are and if there’s an emulsion would be much more convenient?

1 Like

Not if you’re adding in each layer and drawing off each layer at equal rates.

3 Likes

Anyone got any tips on buying one? I sent a couple messages on alibaba

How about a conical fermenter?

Youd want an inline sightglass on the outlet

1 Like

Yeah… That’s probably a way better option for my tiny budget right now lol. Amazon’s probably got something for pennies compared to an actual reactor

1 Like

Make sure the chemical compatibility chart with the plastic it’s made of is ok with EVERY solvent you plan on running

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.ca/Catalyst-Fermentation-Craft-Brew-Fermenter/dp/B073W7MGL4/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=fermenter&qid=1557283631&s=gateway&sr=8-5

This “tritan” seems fine with methanol, ethanol, hep/hexane. That covers most of the bases.

Nice see through as well!

*Need to check the valve

5 Likes

Hey, conflicting reports on tritan. Says poor with hydrocarbons on another sheet. Don’t want to spread misinformation!

Got it!!!

https://brewhq.ca/products/fermentausarus-complete?variant=7068194668606&gclid=CjwKCAjw5dnmBRACEiwAmMYGOU-7uJPizVLhHY_gtUrSYOxrag5-A-3_4qWmhFUMxTMnIIk7yMwdvxoCkoEQAvD_BwE

PET has good Alkane compatibility! We’re good to go! See through, big, and 150$!

8 Likes

Muauhahahahha! The fermentasaurus has arrived!!! (It’s a scientific fact that anything that ends in saurus is of the highest quality).

Seals are all NBR rubber (great with heptane and methanol!)

Vessel is PET (great with heptane and methanol!)

It’s 30L
Cost me $150CAD

Shits gonna be lit!

11 Likes

Good find!

1 Like

It’d be real cool if you documented your experiments and posted for the masses :thinking:

4 Likes

lmfao :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

solid find holy shit!

Cool😎

how has this worked out for you?

2 Likes