Best Vacuum Pump Oil for SPD and Rotovap using Alcatel Adixen 2021i Pump

What is the best Vacuum Pump Oil for an Alcatel Adixen 2021i Pump that will be used for SPD and Rotovap

I would advise against using the 2021 on a roto

5 Likes

I have a couple single stage for that fyi but I am curious what is the best oil for the larger one I just bought.

i use vacoil grade 20 on my 2021i and no complaints

3 Likes

Is grade 19 equivalent?

1 Like
1 Like

Inland grade 19

Grade 20 if you can find it cheaper

1 Like

Does use synthetic make a difference?

Anybody used formula 77?

1 Like

Grade 19 would be best for that. Grade 20 is good, too. But, for short path grade 19 would be best.

1 Like

Ordered. Thx.

1 Like

grade 20 is an upgraded version of grade 19 and would in fact be better suited for short path.
the benefits vs the price is debatable.

first search return online for grade 20

4 Likes

20 has a slightly lower vapor pressure.

3 Likes

“VacOil 20 Grade is used to get better resistance to water and chemical attack and to decrease the frequency of oil changes” direct quote.

3 Likes

No shiite. Well dang. I’ll gander at it. I was informed that grade 19 was better suited for volutiles and the sort. I know it’s a direct replacement for the welch pump oil.

2 Likes

buying a gal for 58 right now going to be my first go in the morning hoping my robinair will work getting me down to 200 micron fast with hasty sensor mount on the pump with brass fittings hoping itll be good enough till i got the rest of my vacuum going for a 4 way with sensor high vac valve

I think @anon42519203 has also stated in some of his live videos on IG that grade 20 will get about 10% lower than grade 19 due to less smoke created. I think vacuum is measured exponentially too so its much more than 10% in real terms.

For a year, grade 20 in all pumps. I use grade 19 to flush all my pumps and fill with grade 20. Seems expensive but so are total rebuild kits.

4 Likes

For the four pumps around here (sogevac, two Edward’s 30, and an Alcatel) buying a 55 gal drum of grade 20 would be a waste of money for how often pump oil is changed out. I would use grade 20 otherwise. It’s not cost effective for the usage and oil changes our pumps go through.

The difference in a 55 gal of grade 19 and 20 here is pretty minisule when you divide up the number of gallons over the increase of cost. Its maybe $400 more for 55 gallons of grade 20 over 19. Thats like $7 a gallon. Im pretty sure you can fill all 4x pumps with a gallon so i really dont understand the cost issue.

So your refills arent worth an extra $2 each to do…Really? Seems like a great way to gain more performance out of your system for $2 but hey if the penny pinchers say its not cost effective to get 10% lower on the vacuum…hence faster distillation, higher potency…for $2.

Keep running the 19 my bro. Wait till diffusion pumps come the norm. Have you seen what that oil costs?? :cry::cry::cry:

3 Likes

I don’t pay the bills here, bro. My bosses cringe at a 1200 price to a 1700 price. Maybe working for yourself and having as much money as you do you can eat that cost.

Doesn’t hurt my pumps. They still pull vac as deep as they always have. I change my oil regularly.

1 Like