Best scale for weighing?

Whats the best scale to use to weigh out grams? Looking at the Ohaus Valor 4000 as of right now. Would love to hear opinions

1 Like

I usually stick with ohaus I would say any scale with 0.01 or 0.001

Can probably find it way cheaper

3 Likes

I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083NQ9X5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve got a few. I notice they drift while warming up for 5-10 mins, then they’re pretty stable.

1 Like

I agree with Steve but in this regard.

You want a 200 gram scale if you use it often for gramming, and who doesn’t.

The 200 gram max scales hold advantages over 400-600g scales in that the throw of the scale is shorter so when you drop the sample the scale comes to weight quicker.

This allows you to make decisions quicker about adding or subtracting to finish the weigh.

2 Likes

This is a little more high end than the one you have been looking at and that one may be perfect for your application but I wanted to throw in an option just in case!

I have some great scale options if you need high accuracy. Depending on yours needs I would suggest the one in the link below. NTEP certified, calibrated, and comes with documentation and warranty.

If you have questions feel free to message me.

https://cascadesciences.com/shop/test-and-measurement/cascade-cph-6001-cn-balance/

$1299?

:man_facepalming:

9 Likes

For bulk weighing I use an ohaus ranger 3000 r31p30 with 1g sensitivity and 30kg capacity (~$400). For non bulk and non analytic weighing I use an ohaus scout sjx1502n/e with a 0.01g and 1500g capacity ($300).

I like my ohaus scales. I think I’ve broken one in three years.

4 Likes

Saw the price tag and instantly closed tab haha

6 Likes

Like I said in my post, probably overkill for your application. If you are weighing during production process it’s not usually required to have NTEP certified because it’s not the final product that’s going to market. In that case I’ve heard great things about the Ohaus explorer scales. They have an internal auto calibrator which will automatically calibrate every 3 hours.

How long till people find out that’s a 200 dollar China scale with your label on it. I have the companies emails in my inbox trying to sell me these too…

7 Likes

Oh I assure you that’s not the case. You are right about lots of scales being on the market and I’m sure you see tons come across your inbox. There are various levels of scales and it’s not a one size fits all. For some like the OP the Ohaus is probably perfect and for others who live in a state with strict requirements the scale needs more certifications. Our scale comes NTEP certified, calibrated, and carries a 5 year warranty. The one on the post from Amazon above says their warrant policy is “call us”. Ours is definitely not the cheapest option, but I never claimed it was. Just wanted to throw an alternative in the mix just in case it was something they were looking at in comparison. Never hurts to suggest!

Correct, and your suggestion illustrates that point quite well…

You sell scales, and you recommend a 6000g x 0.1g scale for use when weighing out grams?!?

you really should know better than that.

No really…let me state that again:

OP wants to weigh out 1g increments.

You recommend a scale that has a max capacity of 6000 times that weight, and that is only accurate to +/- 10% of OP’s target weight.

How, in the name of whatever you hold sacred, is that a useful suggestion?!?

overkill might be a 10g scale that weighs to 0.0001 accuracy…what you have suggested is essentially worthless for the OP’s stated task.

the price tag just adds insult to injury.

11 Likes

You really can’t go wrong with ohaus. It’s the reason you see them in soo many schools and universities.

The scout gold series is a ntep certified scale. Cole-Palmer is good with warranty stuff. They should have a 5 year warranty too.

1500g x .01g for $300.

Ohaus SJX1502N/E Scout Gold 1500g x 0.01g NTEP Amazon.com

7 Likes

I just go with the $25 rechargeable Triton T3 https://marijuanapackaging.com/products/my-weigh-triton-t3-rechargeable-digital-scale-500g?variant=20334417969265

5 Likes

Thanks for spelling that out. We have scales in our product line but I (myself personally) am by no means an expert. I’m still learning them and that’s why I’ve come to the Future4200 forum. To continue learning and figuring it all out. I appreciate your input and that helps me to understand. I now see what you mean and I totally recommended the wrong product, didn’t mean to be disrespectful of OP!

4 Likes

OHaus, Sartorius, Mettler Toledo are the best brands I have run across. Buy a set of calibration weights too if it’s in the budget.

3 Likes

I used Tanitas for the last 10 years. Recently had to grab a few more for our packagers and they were out of Tanitas so grabbed some Tritons and all the workers like them better

2 Likes

Ive used the Ohaus Scout 1500g max for packaging prerolls/flower and I wasn’t happy. The scales are SO sensitive that any airflow of fans/ac will mess with the scales. This led to very hot packaging room. When the scales would jump around,it would cause the packagers to take longer in-between packages because they were waiting for the scale. I was happy with a brand called Citizen (or Aczet) cz-1202, the weight feels mores “locked in” rather then a range.

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-CZ-1202-CERTIFIED-BALANCE/dp/B00FLZYLFO

1 Like

It’s not the best scale by any means but it’s cheap and has been reliable for me. I like that it has the plug in option. Also runs on AA batteries instead of the more expensive 9 volts a lot of the larger scales use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002SVNEWA?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

For whats is worth, here is what our cannabis customers use for scales

The type of scale needed varies widely depending on its use and regulatory requirements.

Brands: We recommend either Ohaus, A&D for basic packaging, growing and dispensary. They’re dependable and a good price. We still calibrate Ohaus and Sartorius scales from the 1980s… Sartorius, Minebea and Mettler are great but i’d recommend them for special application such as explosion proof or load cells for weighing tanks & hoppers. Side note: There is some really cool new technology with Minebea’a load cell if you need something super accurate in mixing environments.

Where to Buy: If you want the best price, I’d recommend buying from an independent scale dealer that is ISO 17025 accredited. typically, when you buy from Manufacturer you pay list. Also, when you buy on Amazon, Ebay, etc you may not be getting the bets price either, many scale manufacturers institute a MAP (minimum advertise price) so when you connect with a dealer they may be able to offer additional discounts and maybe additional services at no cost. These dealers can help with picking the right scale and providing service (you’d be surprised how often we get amazon returns because its not the right capacity or resolution or etc). Independents are typically quicker with repairs and service and can work on all brands. a good independent will represent multiple manufacturers, we are more concerned with giving you great product and customer service so you’ll refer us to other people and/or buy more from us.
They also may have rentals that can be used which can be a life saver.

Test Weights: I recommend every dispensary buys at least 1 test weight for quick daily checks. Its just a good routine for the morning to do weight checks, its the quickest way to identify a problem with your scale. Even if your scale is off by 0.1g that can be pounds given away in a single batch packaging.

I would link to the website for the Scale Dealers Association- website is under maintenance- its a group of us, we are all ISO service providers and “everyone knows their shit” in this group. message me i can help find someone in your area if youre interested.

Regulatory Compliance:
Not every scale needs NTEP approval or to be certificate ‘Place in Service’ or to get ISO 17025 calibration. I wish there was a straight answer for everyone but this is regulated by each state’s Weights & Measures department.

NTEP approval or Legal for Trade or Deli Style is any scale / weighing device that is used to sell product to a customers based on weight. A perfect example would be the deli scale at the grocery store. Scales used for Legal for Trade transaction (selling flower by weight) in the dispensary should be NTEP approved, receive ISO 17025 calibration and certificate annually. If you are buying a new (or new to you) scale that will be used in the dispensary for legal for trade transactions (i.e. weighing out flower for a customer) the scale will need to be ‘Placed in Service’ before use the service will include a certificate that will need to be kept for Weights & Measures. This service can be performed by Weights & Measures or a certified Service provider. we do Placed in Service for MD, VA, DE, PA. Their technicians should be registered with that State. PLEASE NOTE- Washington DC requires Weights & Measures to review Placed in Service before by independent service providers.

I know NTEP are more expensive but NTEP approved scales help protect both sides of the transaction in terms of accurately providing products. i.e. not giving away product because the scale if off!

METRC INTEGRATION: Another reason we recommend certain scales is because these can be integrated with Metrc for reporting weight via an API. not everyone needs this but its a nice to have, especially for larger facilities. please note the API is not NTEP approved and is not certified for dispensary at this time but as far as i know this is only guy with an API available to connect scales to Metrc.

Explosion Proof Scales:
Please if you are distilling via Ethanol, you absolutely need a scale in that room, you NEED an explosion proof scale. Otherwise you have a ticking time bomb-literally. In these applications, safety is #1. i wouldn’t buy anything besides Minebea, Sartorius, Rice Lake, Fairbanks or Mettler for this type of scale.

Weighing Large Plants / Outdoors
there are super durable scales available to weight large plants or in harsh environments. Moisture is a major contributor to inaccurate scales, so if a scale will be in a wet or humid environment you want to look at the IP rating- this tells you how ‘waterproof’ the scale is. the higher the IP the more water resistant.

i hope this information helps!
If you have any questions or need help feel free to reach out carolyn@scalepeople.com if you need local support in MD, VA, DC, PA, DE or NC let us know, we also can ship and service nationwide.

2 Likes