Best practices: labelling ones socks?

So…does anyone label their material socks for tracking purposes?

Ive seen folks permanently number their CUP-30 bags (cloth tags, sewn to the bags) when prepacking dozens of bags and storing them in the freezer. Seems like it might be worth implementing the same trick with my material socks.

associating a permanently attached sock number to a Metrc tag (that can’t be dropped into solvent) helps solve the “what’s in the tube?” problem. It could also be used to track “what WAS in the bag?” or “which socks are hot?” in the case of pesticide contamination.

…AND it would make it easier for me to document where the hash we get from WASHING the socks actually came from.

hmmm, you’re washing bags 100 through 145?

We can tell METRC which packages that 300g of hash came from, and it can now go to distillate in a compliant manner.

If @Beaker was still with us, I’d have him try and embroider barcodes. As he’s not, I’m not quite sure where to start.

has anyone else gone down this rabbit hole?

Care to share what you found along the way?!?

5 Likes

Some of our extraction bags have brass tags on the strings with imprinted codes. No idea where they came from. (CO2 extraction)

2 Likes

hadn’t considered brass.

had considered SS or Alu “dog tags”.
either stamped or anodized.

might also be able to use actual dog tags.

any sort of number would be useful. actual bar codes would be ideal imo.

yeah, the folks running CO2 are often closer to GMP than the rest of us…

1 Like

Have something 3D printed

2 Likes

that expands the scope slightly…

because I’d also like reusable sock closures.
currently using zip ties and not happy with the waste.

looking at hemp twine. rumor has it most is “waxed”.

We use a zip ty to hold the metrc tag, on the socks. Once they are about to get loaded we cut the tag off.

2 Likes

yep. that only gets me into the tube. I’d like to ditch the zip tie too.

I saw a fully compliant EU GMP CO2 facility in Canada, their socks had a stainless grommet, with something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IGLY9EI/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_G6EQ5H55XMA3ZKRPAJMG

Holding a stainless dog tag with a barcode on it.

I didn’t ask any questions about it unfortunately.

3 Likes

yeah, that is very much along the lines I’m thinking.

…and it really IS a GMP thing.

either that or you toss the socks after each use.

Why do you want it tagged inside the tube? Dont you pass the information on to your batch records? Im sorry if Im missing something here.

it’s a compliance thing…

what was last in any given sock?

run 322 tested hot. where is that damn sock?

you washed which socks to get that 300g of hash?

1 Like

I see where your going, and I like it. I dont have a solution other then the stainless dog tags mentioned above or on airplanes and race cars we install these stainless wires and tags that wrap around bolts to show they haven’t been fucked with

1 Like

yeah. cloth tags with scanable bar-codes would be ideal, but don’t seem likely.

barcodes might be implementable on plastic or anodized Alu tags.

just human readable numbers would work.

Interesting, maybe use a tag sorta like luggage in an airport, write UID
DATE.farm.strain.run#.product output.
We just started using big material socks and use a label on one of the handles with UID, we just wrap around handle and fold/stick to its self, works great. Extractors simply translate that info to their run log and rip off label after extraction is complete.

1 Like

He’s trying to track the actual socks not so much the content in them. Issue is if you had a run with bad material, how do you later go back and isolate that contaminated sock. Unless you have a numbered system for your socks or a tag system its impossible.

3 Likes

Roger, forgot how cup socks look. But, maybe sewing a number on em. Seems like some work but it’ll be a more permanent solution.

1 Like

@thesk8nmidget: looks like I CAN have bar coded sew in labels!!

https://www.weprintbarcodes.com/upc-garment-tags.html

not certain if they’ll do sequential on those.
looks like I’ve got some calls to make.

3 Likes

Have you tried putting socks in the material column and doing a dry run to rinse off any residuals on em? We do that when we “top off” and wash all material socks like that.

1 Like

Dope!

yep.

tags would let me (trivially) document where the hash so acquired came from

1 Like